NICU and MICU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Frozen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it be feasible for a Meds-Peds trained physician to be specialized in both (NICU/PICU) and MICU care?

Or is it too difficult to maintain competency in both areas?

If there is anyone who happens to work dual NICU/MICU do you find your time equally split?

Members don't see this ad.

Would it be feasible for a Meds-Peds trained physician to be specialized in both (NICU/PICU) and MICU care?

If there is anyone who happens to work dual NICU/MICU do you find your time equally split?

It's a lot of extra training, but I think you could do it. Though, I don't think you could attend BOTH at the same time.

Just to clarify one point, NICU and PICU are completely separate fellowships and boards. I have personally never known a boarded neonatologist who worked in any adult medicine service although I have known a couple of Med/Peds folks who did neo fellowships and then practiced strictly in the NICU. You might post in pedi and Stitch or others can tell you if they know of any PICU docs who've also done MICU.

Members don't see this ad :)
http://www.medpeds.org/archive/PDF/FellowshipGuide.pdf (page 23)
From: NMPRA's website (http://www.medpeds.org/residents/fellowship_guide.asp)

It is possible to do a combined fellowship, though it will be through "creation" of a fellowship and not an existing fellowship leading to dual-board eligibility. I did meet someone at Maine Medical Center who was trained (I believe) Med-Peds and in adult Pulm/CC, but practiced in both the MICU and PICU (alternating times).
While adult/peds CC would, no doubt, be an exhausting pathway I do see value in it. I tend to see things through my own lens, but the population I see benefiting most is the adult congenital heart disease patients. We now have the first generation of single ventricles making to adulthood and my experience is that adult CCM docs don't have any comfort level with a failing Fontan in a patient with heterotaxy, or whatnot. But this is something the pediatric intensivist routinely deals with. It's also interesting to see the emergence of some technologies that got their widest use in pediatrics become more widely used in the adult population (high frequency ventilation, ECMO).