Night Float vs Overnight Call

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychczar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some thoughts on night float (anywhere from 2-6 weeks) to overnight call (q8-q12)? Other factors being equal (such as the total amount of nights and how busy it is), what are the pros and cons of having them lumped together in night float or spread out in overnights? How do you compare different systems when looking at programs?

It seems to me it may be less tiring to have a night float system but easier for people with families to do overnight calls.

Members don't see this ad.

I personally hated night float. I literally only slept 20 hours a week because I was severely dysregulated with my sleep/wake cycle. I personally believe just being on-call for 30 hours, biting that bullet and then going home is the best way to go.

Reactions: 1 user
Night float isn’t very educational. The supervision is very limited, and it doesn’t meet any rotational requirements so it eats directly into elective time. Other than that, I think it is great.

Members don't see this ad :)
Night float isn’t very educational. The supervision is very limited, and it doesn’t meet any rotational requirements so it eats directly into elective time. Other than that, I think it is great.

Hah. By extension, call isn't very beneficial. The supervision is limited, and it doesn't meet any rotation or education requirements so it eats directly into time that could be spent reading. However, we continue to protect the exploitative nature of call in the name of education.

Cue the "hard work provides valuable training" rebuttals.

I am currently an intern, and night float SUCKS... A LOT. The loss of continuity is horrible (on psych, medicine, and neuro) and I am chronically tired when I switch back to days. Plus, I leave late at night on call days anyway and have to be back early the next morning. I would MUCH rather take Qwhatever 24-28 hr call (that is how it is PGY2 for us, and I can't wait). Hopefully ongoing studies can sway legislation to get rid of some of these asinine restrictions and let doctors (NOT LAWYERS or anyone else for that matter) dictate how doctors are trained.

If you're going to be on call after residency you should practice being on call during residency.

I loved night float. The only awful thing about it was having an outpatient clinic one day a week as a second year to work around. Otherwise, I was usually able to sleep 3 hours a night, and I could get a few hours of sleep during the day. Otherwise, I worked maybe 13-14 shifts a month, and I was able to get by on less sleep without feeling tired (I think most people get a little bit hypomanic when working nights) and thus I was able to get a lot more done. It's a great time to either study for Step 3, or if you can get a large stretch off, go on a mini-vacation.

Personally, I'd prefer to work 2-3 36+ hour shifts a week and have the rest of the week off, duty hours be damned. I hate coming to work and handing patients off. This is what I did when I moonlit (to my residency program's oblivion), which worked fine as long as I got ~2 hours of sleep here and there.

I feel like night float makes a lot more sense for psych than it does for most fields. If you consider doing traditional over night call in psych your generally evaluating people in the ER and they may get admitted to one of the possibly 8+ psych teams depending on the hospital, so it's statistically unlikely you would actually be caring for this patient after you admitted them. Additionally, on cross coverage (x-1)/x (where x is number is psych teams) of cross coverage calls are going to be on patients your not caring for during the day.

So psych call isn't like medicine where your actually admitting patients to your team and covering your teams night calls. So in general there would be very little continuity between what happened over night and your day team.

It's quite a bit different than some specialties because one resident can cover so many more patients overnight and admit to so many different possible teams.

My program has a little bit of both (night float in PGY1, overnight call in PGY2). I think it's nice to get a bit of a mix, because then you don't get tired of one or the other. Having been through both systems, I can't say that I have a preference between the two... night float is nice because you have several days in a row of the same predictable schedule, while overnight call is nice because you get the post-call day off.

I actually like working overnight though, so my opinion might be predicated on that. I like the fact that you're on your own and evaluating new patients from scratch, and you don't have to deal with the everyday minor stuff as much.

Having done both, I can testify that they both suck. Of course, there's always the positive spin. On a related note, thank goodness for paying interest on student loans -- it's tax deductible!

On a more serious note, I prefer 24 hour call to night float. I say that as a married guy with kids. Night float is not family friendly. Then again, neither is q7 24 hour call.

There is no emergency in psych that can't wait until the morning that a B52 can't fix the rest of the evening. And if it is NMS, then the hospitalist service is the best place within the ICU.

Reactions: 1 users
There is no emergency in psych that can't wait until the morning that a B52 can't fix the rest of the evening. And if it is NMS, then the hospitalist service is the best place within the ICU.
We had very different inpatient experiences.... Who was handling all the emergent med situations?

That said, I MUCH preferred night float. It sucks for the first couple days at the beginning and end of the two week stretch, but then you're done. With the q whatever, you're constantly having days in which you're feeling run down and whatever. It sucks for trying to schedule social events, classes and moonlighting. It's just much less compatible with real life.

To each their own, but I'm a much bigger fan of night float. That's why most programs use it as a carrot (I.e. Start with q whatever call and transition to a week or two of NF as a senior resident).

We have a night float system for weekdays and an overnight call system for weekends, so I've experienced both. Everyone has different priorities of course, but I would never consider a program without a night float system. Every time I was on an overnight call, I felt "off" for a day or two after. When I was on nightfloat, I took a couple days to adjust, but then it was fairly easy to maintain that schedule and I didn't have that fuzzy feeling. The idea of having an overnight call every 7th night or whatever sounds really dreadful to me. I can imagine for someone with children it might be more a problem to drop out of life for a month at a time though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Night float was difficult but I much prefer it to an overnight call during the week. It took me about a week to fully adjust to a night float schedule but it wasn't so bad actually being on night float. Its less work (no rounds, no progress notes, no other dumb paperwork, no lectures) and you learn to become more independent. Plus I got really close with the night nurses - they would throw midnight pizza parties and such, it was fun. Night float does start to wear on you but there is a light at the end of the tunnel and you know you don't have to do it again (at least until PGY-2 year). In our program we only have to do 2 blocks of night float.

I did 24 hour calls as a medical student in surg, ob/gyn, and medicine..it SUCKED. It ruins your work week and your sleep schedule more I think because you have to force yourself to stay up for 1 night after doing serious work during the day and then it's hard to properly sleep during your post call day.

Night float was difficult but I much prefer it to an overnight call during the week. It took me about a week to fully adjust to a night float schedule but it wasn't so bad actually being on night float. Its less work (no rounds, no progress notes, no other dumb paperwork, no lectures) and you learn to become more independent. Plus I got really close with the night nurses - they would throw midnight pizza parties and such, it was fun. Night float does start to wear on you but there is a light at the end of the tunnel and you know you don't have to do it again (at least until PGY-2 year). In our program we only have to do 2 blocks of night float.

I guess it depends on where you're at. At night it's prinarily the ED we cover 90% and the other 10% are issues on the floor. Every now and again an issue comes up on the consult service or elsewhere in the hospital, which we typically don't do at night so when it comes up it's always a huge disaster. Anyway, the ED manages to keep us busy more nights than not for a full laborious 14 hours (after you've finished a regular shift). Nightfloat is just continually doing the 14 hours.

Anyway, I hate the ED with a passion. Asking every patient if they're suicidal on screening is a lot like ordering a D dimer on everyone who comes through the door. And the ED, supposed physicians in their own right, become rather paralyzed regarding any thing that insinuates any SI, regardless of the reason they actually came into the ED. But I digress.

^Yes that is definitely true, it really depends on the specifics of your program and what kind of work you like to do. I don't mind the ED that much.

Hah. By extension, call isn't very beneficial. The supervision is limited, and it doesn't meet any rotation or education requirements so it eats directly into time that could be spent reading. However, we continue to protect the exploitative nature of call in the name of education.

Cue the "hard work provides valuable training" rebuttals.

Yes but...., the yes but is that you can do call during required rotation time and not lose time for electives down the road. I do agree that night call isn't a superior educational experience vs night float. Probably about the same, just more spread out.

Some posts on this thread highlight a huge problem with this (my) generation of trainees... medicine is NOT a 9-5 job. You get there early, and stay until the job is done. My response to people complaining about being in the hospital too much/sleep deprivation on 24+ hour call is man/woman up! Seriously, the only way to truly learn about a disease and its clinical course is to follow it longitudinally. I actually think medicine had it right with the original idea of house staff living in the hospital for at least one year. That way, you get the entire picture. I hate getting signout in the AM having missed a huge event on one of my patients overnight. At the same time, some of my key learning moments have been on cross cover/night pages from nurses about unforeseen events happening to patients... but it would be even better if I were able to follow them up daily. The abuse that happened in the old days (Halsted to House of God, etc) would have probably abated irrespective of actual work hours, though I have learned (and grown) exponentially from tough attendings. There is always time for reading, and it's so easy with uptodate/pubmed at our fingertips. Think about the old days when residents had to go to the library to look up articles and fight over textbooks! While I am learning a lot and overall loving residency, I think lawyers (read: Sidney Zion) have officially screwed us over

On a more serious note, I prefer 24 hour call to night float. I say that as a married guy with kids. Night float is not family friendly. Then again, neither is q7 24 hour call.

Great thoughts so far. Is there a certain q at which overnight call is not unfriendly towards families compared to night float? Some programs I interviewed at were q10 and q12.

Some posts on this thread highlight a huge problem with this (my) generation of trainees... medicine is NOT a 9-5 job. You get there early, and stay until the job is done. My response to people complaining about being in the hospital too much/sleep deprivation on 24+ hour call is man/woman up!

And my response to posts such as this is to get over your God complex and realize that you don't have to live in the hospital to learn medicine, as proven by the fact that no one lives in the hospital anymore and yet astonishingly we all learn medicine.

Reactions: 1 users
And my response to posts such as this is to get over your God complex and realize that you don't have to live in the hospital to learn medicine, as proven by the fact that no one lives in the hospital anymore and yet astonishingly we all learn medicine.

I have to echo some of the above in saying night float is the clear better option, unless the 24h calls are really infrequent.

My problem with overnight call:
-you stay up 24 hours straight and are dead tired (and more mistake prone) by the end
-you feel "off" for a day or two afterward, or at least most people do; by the time you fully recover it's almost call time again!
-you get the anticipatory dread of knowing a call is coming up, regularly (for instance every day you get to think "ugh, I have call in x days" where x is a pretty small number)

Why night float is much better:
-you can knock out most of your call in a matter of weeks and don't have to be endlessly chipped away by single shifts
-you can really flip your schedule for a short while (just stay up all night no matter what and sleep all day) and actually feel decent during your shifts
-you don't have to live half of your life in a post-call haze like you do with weekly call shifts
-it totally decimates your social/family life for the time on night float but allows much better engagement with these for the entire rest of the year.

Having done both night float gets my vote for sure, although to be fair I don't have kids and maybe that would change things. If you get down to the equivalent Q15 call frequency or less, though, then I think either system is fine.

I agree with the notion that they both can be miserable, and that I would vote for looking for a program with less of both, all things being equal. I'm not a fan of the masochism inherent in traditional physician ideas about work, which seems to evidenced by some other posts above.

About picking programs, are there any pure night float programs? My residency had night float for weeknights, but we still had call for weekends. That seems to be the most typical arrangement these days. About night float, I felt like the biggest downside is that it's socially isolating, which can get to you after a few weeks. We did two blocks of 3 to 4 weeks, and I generally liked the first two weeks and then got a little down for the rest of it. That probably also tied into how hard it is to get good quality sleep when on night float. Pros of night float were the clear shift nature of your work (you're in and then you're done) and the focus on doing more efficient and less detailed work. It felt like a bit of a vacation from my program and usual work life.

With overnight call, post call days are miserable at least with the old system we had where we did up to 28 to 30 hour shifts. Post call rounding on medicine was about my least favorite thing ever. Straight 24 hour calls with no post call obligations were so much better, imo, which is what our weekend calls were like. Intermittent call is also pretty disruptive to your sleep, and I always experienced a bit of post-call dysphoria after waking up from my post call crash. q8 to q12 is not a bad call schedule, but q8 to q12 stretched out for years in training would suck.

One vote here for nightfloat being much better than 24-28 hour calls. It's significantly less disruptive to schedules as you will not have other assigned duties while on NF and easier on the body to never/rarely have the overnight calls.

Independently, I disagree greatly that doing nights or call is not educational. Getting to manage crisis by yourself is a huge part of training for me and I frequently have felt call/NF have been many of my most educational moments. Managing combativness, delirium, NMS, etc just has a different flavor at night and I am very happy to have had those experiences.

Independently, I disagree greatly that doing nights or call is not educational. Getting to manage crisis by yourself is a huge part of training for me and I frequently have felt call/NF have been many of my most educational moments. Managing combativness, delirium, NMS, etc just has a different flavor at night and I am very happy to have had those experiences.

Asking nicely: Can you explain how combativeness, NMS, etc is different based on the sun's position or is this more of a faculty needs to back off so you can work your brain type of problem?

I can see how certain faculty want things their way and control the plan. Call "may" alleviate this in some places. In general, I think more faculty should be supervisory in monitoring how you are handling plans/crises instead of running the show. If faculty were more effective at teaching and growing leaders, call becomes ever more useless. Just my opinion.

In my opinion responding to serious issues overnight is quite different from responding during the day for many reasons. First, overnight you likely have some attending who is at home sleeping available to page, but that attending likely does not know the patient and would probably take anywhere from 5-25 minutes to even respond. That means that when quick decisions need to be made you are really on your own at least up front. Beyond that after you have made those decisions no one is going to drive in and lay eyes on the issue to confirm that you have done the right thing until at least the morning, which is up to 14 hours away. That means if you are way off base there is plenty of time for things to keep getting worse, so more is on the line.

Contrast that with a legitimate crisis in the middle of the day: any attending who does not want to lose their license will at least check in to see what is going on, and you can easily run ideas past them. They will catch any major slip-ups (or at least should) and in the back of your mind you know that. It would also be odd not to involve the attending on serious issues during the day ("oh that guy with probable NMS? Yeah, I identified that five hours ago and started the acute stabilization and ICU transfer. I just didn't tell you. No prob right?")

Also in the middle of the night, you don't know the patient. You often cover lists up to dozens of patients in addition to brand new consults. Hearing "Mr. Jones is getting really out of control, I'm afraid somebody is going to get hurt, we need some recs now" on someone you have never met is quite different from hearing it when you have worked with Mr. Jones for the past two weeks. You build a new skill set in being able to rapidly acquaint yourself with these new patients.

Admittedly with some clever design I suspect these issues could be worked into the daytime experience, and I think the reason that night float / 24h calls persist is that it is much more convenient and economical for the hospital. Still, without a doubt there is a big present-day difference in the experience of handling every issue an entire service dishes out for an entire night and in handling your list of six patients with immediate oversight during normal business hours.

In my opinion responding to serious issues overnight is quite different from responding during the day for many reasons. First, overnight you likely have some attending who is at home sleeping available to page, but that attending likely does not know the patient and would probably take anywhere from 5-25 minutes to even respond. That means that when quick decisions need to be made you are really on your own at least up front. Beyond that after you have made those decisions no one is going to drive in and lay eyes on the issue to confirm that you have done the right thing until at least the morning, which is up to 14 hours away. That means if you are way off base there is plenty of time for things to keep getting worse, so more is on the line.

Contrast that with a legitimate crisis in the middle of the day: any attending who does not want to lose their license will at least check in to see what is going on, and you can easily run ideas past them. They will catch any major slip-ups (or at least should) and in the back of your mind you know that. It would also be odd not to involve the attending on serious issues during the day ("oh that guy with probable NMS? Yeah, I identified that five hours ago and started the acute stabilization and ICU transfer. I just didn't tell you. No prob right?")

Also in the middle of the night, you don't know the patient. You often cover lists up to dozens of patients in addition to brand new consults. Hearing "Mr. Jones is getting really out of control, I'm afraid somebody is going to get hurt, we need some recs now" on someone you have never met is quite different from hearing it when you have worked with Mr. Jones for the past two weeks. You build a new skill set in being able to rapidly acquaint yourself with these new patients.

Admittedly with some clever design I suspect these issues could be worked into the daytime experience, and I think the reason that night float / 24h calls persist is that it is much more convenient and economical for the hospital. Still, without a doubt there is a big present-day difference in the experience of handling every issue an entire service dishes out for an entire night and in handling your list of six patients with immediate oversight during normal business hours.

I get that the autonomy component from a training perspective has value, but your attending at night is still legally the person responsible for care for your patients, which exposes the potential problem of this setup. If your attending needs to be more actively involved in the day for patient safety, they should be that involved at night as well. And if anybody gets sued for overnight events, it'll be your attending.

That conflict between need for autonomy and need for high quality supervision is a big one that I guess has yet to be resolved.

That conflict between need for autonomy and need for high quality supervision is a big one that I guess has yet to be resolved.

I think you hit the nail on the head here. As a matter of tradition in many locations the supervision at night gets scaled back to the bare essentials, and maybe if we are honest with ourselves even less than that at times. Still, during the day there is so much supervision that it feels like operating with training wheels, or at least it does after you complete a couple of blocks of night float.

When I was supervising resident on the IM night float team, I matured a lot and became a real physician- the learning was incredible. Psychiaty night float at my institution was slow on some nights and was sort of a vacation. It involve more of admitting patients from the ED than handling crises on the floor. I think NF varies a lot from institution to institution

Some posts on this thread highlight a huge problem with this (my) generation of trainees... medicine is NOT a 9-5 job. You get there early, and stay until the job is done. My response to people complaining about being in the hospital too much/sleep deprivation on 24+ hour call is man/woman up! Seriously, the only way to truly learn about a disease and its clinical course is to follow it longitudinally. I actually think medicine had it right with the original idea of house staff living in the hospital for at least one year. That way, you get the entire picture. I hate getting signout in the AM having missed a huge event on one of my patients overnight. At the same time, some of my key learning moments have been on cross cover/night pages from nurses about unforeseen events happening to patients... but it would be even better if I were able to follow them up daily. The abuse that happened in the old days (Halsted to House of God, etc) would have probably abated irrespective of actual work hours, though I have learned (and grown) exponentially from tough attendings. There is always time for reading, and it's so easy with uptodate/pubmed at our fingertips. Think about the old days when residents had to go to the library to look up articles and fight over textbooks! While I am learning a lot and overall loving residency, I think lawyers (read: Sidney Zion) have officially screwed us over

It's important to clarify what we're talking about. It's one thing to work hard and put in long hours as a duty to patient care. It's quite another to be working more hours and taking more call for the sake of working more hours and taking more call. Typically more work is created not out of necessity but rather as a result of inefficiency and apathy. This will traditionally fall on residents. However, our culture, perhaps as some type of maladaptive defense mechanism, embraces and supports this under the guise of education and being a "necessity" of training (belief that whatever doesn't kill you will make you stronger). Now, there's not necessarily a problem with this point of view. It becomes problematic when work or tasks are being made hard simply for the sake of being hard. Or when answers to simplify work are dismissed for the sake of having "hard" training as we've become conditioned to associate that with great learning.

What makes physician training unique, which is obviously not secret or very complicated, is the varied diversity of experiences. This is typically accomplished through volume. Volume is often accompanied by long hours and time in the hospital. One of the biggest problems with this, however, is the tendency for so many in medicine to conflate what's actually happening. We begin not just treating, but presupposing, hours at work and time in the hospital is the independent variable in the equation. So enter someone (anyone) with a cheap labor force below them and you can package just about anything wrapped in the pretty wrapping paper of hours and hospital time and hand it out in the name of education and many will gladly receive it.

To further demonstrate, take a look at 'prestigious programs' and 'sweatshop programs' that are discussed. Look at how they describe their call. My hypothesis is that if you go to a name brand place and get worn down with call, you're much more likely to feel validated by the fact that you're at a strong place and this is part of that rigorous training that's going to transform you into a skilled clinician. If you're at a relatively unremarkable program, you're probably a lot more likely to feel you're just being exploited as nobody is running around reassuring you how "Random U's clinical training is top notch!" The difference in my estimation between "hard, solid clinical training" and "sweatshop" is the name of the program. Then you have the opposite effect, where we see rather average programs that have a great lifestyle then get labeled as being "wonderful" or "hidden gems" and talk about how the clinical training is great. Kind of like people justifying their purchase of Playboy for the articles. My example on this is San Mateo. Everyone knows this is a lifestyle program. But we also talk about how great the clinical training is and pretend we don't like it just because they don't have any call. If this program had an average work schedule, would anybody care? This isn't a knock to San Mateo because I'm sure it's a fine program (much like many others), but seriously.

I advocate for getting good exposure to a number of different settings and subspecialities. I also advocate factoring in lifestyle and call as a primary discriminating point between programs. I believe it is more wise to pick up the volume in a moonlighting setting (and you can get more diverse settings by doing so) where you'll actually get paid. Someone above mentioned that they really felt the learned a lot on call. I think it's important and I hope the tone of my post doesn't simply come across as "call = bad." The problem is that you maximize the benefit of what's learned on call rather quickly and your benefit plateaus. Sure, you'll learn and know more if your fourth year included q14 24 hour call. There's no arguing that. But how much more? At what expense? Is there any way you could gain an equivocal amount of information/experience in drastically less time and with less personal cost? Of course, our training usually prohibits this kind of thinking and is viewed as heretical apostasy as it blasphemes against the established docrtines of our day. The argument is always made that moonlighting is not the same as call because it is not supervised, despite the fact that the supervision (as demonstrated in bartleby's post) is so limited as to almost be in-name-only. However, because call is call, it is funneled under the magical and mystical umbrella of "education and training" and therefore caries more value and makes it inherently different, apparently.

Regarding the nightfloat things, it does depend on where you're at. The way we have it, 6 months of the year you do nightfloat (though only covered by interns) you also have weekend calls peppered in. If you were to be able to get it all out of the way without other call responsibilities, I may favor this. It really makes it tough because most places you're comparing apples and car batteries. Call can also vary significantly, from taking home calls about trazodone and Tylenol to seeing every single person who whispers any kind of mental health issue, or anyone the ED resident thinks may have whispered something about mental health.

When the ER pages you at 3:30 am because they want you to "come take a look at" a guy with no mental health history who came in from a bar 15 hours ago with a BAL of 400 after he fell and suffered head trauma, but apparently may have told EMS he wanted to die, but is now sober and wants to go home (and is not on any legal hold), and denies any desire or history of self-harm, you're not going to get much benefit no matter how many times you're repeatedly seeing this scenario. Naturally, you'll have others on the opposite end of the spectrum who will want to pursue a legal hold on this guy because "what if he gets drunk and acts crazy again?" So you can always pursue a legal hold to keep a patient and perhaps give them a detox that they don't want and save the world because, hey, at least on paper you can say you tried everything for this guy! I don't think you'd find many people who are too bent out of shape about having to admit legitimate manic/psychotic patients or the legitimately depressed. I think you see the burnout from the collosal waste of time and resources being utilized from the mistaken notion that psychiatric treatment addresses things that it does not. This notion comes from society's faulty beliefs about our field that we continue to reinforce out of fear of litigation

However, regarding call, if you're at a place like NYU where you've got a dedicated ER and seeing a very wide range of legitimate pathology at all hours and you've got an actual attending on-site to lay eyes on patients and teach you when needed, I could see how this would be a very valuable experience. This isn't what happens at the other 98% of programs, though (and I'm only assuming this would resemble what their ER looks like).

That's about as much wind as I've got. I'll make my next lengthy post in another year or two. Be sure and stick around.

Last edited:

I think that the bolded part is the important part of being on call at night. Dealing with cross-coverage and seeing brand-new patients right when they hit the floor are both useful learning experiences.

I agree with the notion that you're not learning the medical stuff as well when you're tired, but on the other hand, you're learning grit. Now that the hardest part of residency is behind me, I frequently find myself saying "well, this is a particularly busy day and I'm working hard, but it's nothing compared to that one day on night float last year when six new patients hit the floor at the same time and I was trying to keep them all alive and safe while I prioritized things"...

Then the question is: how can doctors in many European countries work almost normal schedules even in residency and still end up qualified and actually get better outcomes than the US? When I tell people that I needed to work 80 hours a week on my medicine rotations and that I only had time to sleep, they are horrified. What we need to ask is: who drives the scheduling in both training and the workplace? Are the people in control of the system really worried about the quality and level of education, or are they simply looking for as much processing and work done as possible? Of course challenging the working conditions in medicine is taboo, and that's imo more generally connected to worker's rights (or lack of).

Asking nicely: Can you explain how combativeness, NMS, etc is different based on the sun's position or is this more of a faculty needs to back off so you can work your brain type of problem?

Mostly being the first responder and trying to make that decision about immediate ICU transfer vs workup for fever, needing to rely on your own physical exam skills without an attending to help were both really important experiences that occur only when its you solo. Ive found substantially more stat consults at night for agitated delirium, personality disorder agitation, drug withdrawl, or requesting to leave AMA then occur during the day, although they certainly could be found during the day. Without nightfloat/call I would have needed at least twice as long on the consult service and more emergency psych time which would be 1) infeasible at my program and 2) likely compete with therapy training.

Ive found substantially more stat consults at night for agitated delirium, personality disorder agitation, drug withdrawl, or requesting to leave AMA then occur during the day, although they certainly could be found during the day. Without nightfloat/call I would have needed at least twice as long on the consult service and more emergency psych time which would be 1) infeasible at my program and 2) likely compete with therapy training.

Then the question becomes, how many of these experiences do you actually need? I mean, a patient requesting to leave AMA? I would think a few of those would be enough.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for night float or call (I prefer night float for the reasons stated above), but not for the reasons you mentioned. I also don't think the fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants mentality is useful for everyone. My program pairs interns with a senior the during every nightfloat night or weekend call for the whole year. I think that's more helpful.