Night School during Clinical Rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
J

JohnCarterIIIDO

Has anyone out there ever taken a night class or two during clinical rotations?

There is a chance that my MBA program might spill into 3rd/4th year and I might need to take a night class or two to finish it up..... possible? Ever been done?

The Dean at my school told me it could be possible but I'm looking for some practical opinions from people who have been there recently.....

Members don't see this ad.

Could be done... but surgery, IM 12 hour days might be hard to commit to an online class. What if you get out late or want to stay for the end of the case???? I tried to finish my MPH online 1st year, but anatomy lab kept running long. And step 2 time may be difficult. I say go for it.

I dont think its very realistic. I had a buddy who did both an MPH and a MBA while in medical school. The MPH was through our school and essentially was a few extra bs classes and a lot of paper writing. He did it to pad his resume. The MBA was though an online college and designed with health-care in mind. It was a ton of papers and a few on line tests, but cost around 40K. He did it to pad his resume.

My guess is that it will do him absolutely nothing except add a few years on to his loan repayments.

As for attending a class or two, if your school in ok with letting you set up your 3rd year, or you had some flexibility with when you had to take these classes, then yes I think it could be done. Also, is there any way you could wait a year and do it during 4th year? Elective time = Free time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice, I find the MBA is pretty useful, its gives me another perspective on things, but I don't expect it to do anything for me as far as getting into a better residency etc

Will see what I can do about putting the course in fourth year

Personally, I am planning on getting my MBA a few years after I finish residency. This way I will have had experience, a little time to pay off some stuff, and an overall better idea of where I'm at in my life/career. Additionally, getting an MBA from an online university may not be the best bet...the source of your MBA kind of does matter. I would rather wait a few years and use my physician experience as a way to get into a more reputable program. Not to mention the fact that I'll be able to focus a bit more on the classes than I would have in medical school.

Just my perspective, however. Good luck with whatever you decide to do :D

haha yeah I'm not sure how "online" school got into this thread - I am in a good program at a real university..... like just about every B school, they cater to working students with night classes so I have the option to go to school at night and part time

It will help you more than you think in getting a residency too btw