NIH IRTA at a location other than those listed on website?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShabbaRanks

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently applied to the NIH IRTA postbac program, but so far I have not found a PI. Today I was fortunate enough to be offered a spot in a neurosurgery lab (my top choice) that is not at one of the NIH locations. The PI noted that his lab is unable to pay first year post-bac researchers, and they instead must come on as volunteers. This PI is funded by the NIH through both the National Cancer Institute and the NINDS.

My question is:

Is it possible for me to participate in the NIH IRTA program with this researcher? He conducts cancer research at a notable medical school, and I really want to work for him. Unfortunately, I can not afford to pay for housing/living expenses without some sort of stipend.

Any information would be great!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I just had a quick question. So I completed my application and all the letters say they've been sent in. Did you get an additional email saying that your application is complete or is it just complete as it is?

Thanks