NIH IRTA Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

itsthat1guy

Not that other guy
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in doing the NIH IRTA program after I graduate next semester. Who here has done it? I'm interested in hearing other peoples experiences with the program.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently in the program (one year down, one to go) and I love it, though I get the sense that it's highly dependent on your mentor. I'm fairly independent and feel like I'm more involved than a technician would be, which I like. I'll also be the first author on a paper or two based on my current work. Let me know if you have any questions, and feel free to PM me.

@cactus8910 This looks very interesting. Maybe I could do it if I don't get into medical school this cycle.

Do you know if we have to take the GREs in order to apply?
What is the salary/stipend like? Does it make up for the fact that you'll be living in the very $$$ DC area?
Can you do 1 year instead of 2?

Members don't see this ad :)
@cactus8910 This looks very interesting. Maybe I could do it if I don't get into medical school this cycle.

Do you know if we have to take the GREs in order to apply?
What is the salary/stipend like? Does it make up for the fact that you'll be living in the very $$$ DC area?
Can you do 1 year instead of 2?

You don't have to take the GRE. They want applicants who are planning to apply to graduate/professional school.
Info on stipends can be found here: http://oma1.od.nih.gov/Manualchapte...DF?PHPSESSID=2208c5535a53f99a5aba1028c9868141
I think that's a minimum, because I'm paid more than that (though not by much).
Is recommend living in MD rather than in the city to save money.

One year is an option, but I get the sense that 2 years is preferable (it takes almost a year to be fully trained/actually useful). Depends on the PI!

Reactions: 1 user
I want to add onto this question. I recently applied, but am having troubles on how to find out who has a current position open. I have two years of previous research experience, and recently graduated. I would greatly appreciate it if you can answer my question on how you were selected, or found your PI at the NIH. Also, how did you know if they had a position open.

P.S. This is my first time on this forum.

I want to add onto this question. I recently applied, but am having troubles on how to find out who has a current position open. I have two years of previous research experience, and recently graduated. I would greatly appreciate it if you can answer my question on how you were selected, or found your PI at the NIH. Also, how did you know if they had a position open.

Found PIs whose work you find interesting and email them. Although you're a bit early, hey recommend you apply 6 to 9 months before you hope to start (which is likely the end of summer)

Very few mentioned the need for postbacs on their websites through NIH. I went through about 52 PIs before I found a lab. Find a lot you wouldn't mind working for for 1-2 years and begin sending e-mails. Stick to those whose titles are 'PI' or 'Staff Scientist'.

Very few mentioned the need for postbacs on their websites through NIH. I went through about 52 PIs before I found a lab. Find a lot you wouldn't mind working for for 1-2 years and begin sending e-mails. Stick to those whose titles are 'PI' or 'Staff Scientist'.

I'm working for an associate clinical investigator, not a PI or staff scientist, but yeah, try to avoid emailing postdocs (although they might direct you to someone who needs a postbac, you never know!)

How long was your wait before being selected? Additionally, did you include in your initial email that you are available to begin work right away or give them an estimated start date.

How long was your wait before being selected? Additionally, did you include in your initial email that you are available to begin work right away or give them an estimated start date.
Read my OP, I'm looking to apply this year. You start at the end of august or early september. From my understanding this is when it works, you cant join at any old time. I'm pretty sure the faq page addresses this

Read my OP, I'm looking to apply this year. You start at the end of august or early september. From my understanding this is when it works, you cant join at any old time. I'm pretty sure the faq page addresses this

It all depends on the lab. I started in July but could have started in June. Unless they've changed something, when you start depends on your PI and your own schedule.

It all depends on the lab. I started in July but could have started in June. Unless they've changed something, when you start depends on your PI and your own schedule.
Thanks for clearing that up for us

I'm currently in the program (one year down, one to go) and I love it, though I get the sense that it's highly dependent on your mentor. I'm fairly independent and feel like I'm more involved than a technician would be, which I like. I'll also be the first author on a paper or two based on my current work. Let me know if you have any questions, and feel free to PM me.
I read somewhere that you can take classes at the NIH while there that are factored into your AMCAS GPA, is this true?

Members don't see this ad :)
The classes are through FAES http://www.faes.org/course-catalog. I've never taken one, so I'm not sure how grading works. Theoretically if the class gives a grade then you'll have to report it. If you've graduated, it'll go under postbac GPA.

Reactions: 1 users
Did you have to revise your application essay (cover letter), to fit the different PI that you ended up contacting. For example if your research interest was in diabetes, and included it in your statement, did you end up going back and revising it later on, if the PI's you contacted did not fit your research interests. I appreciate your help.

Additionally, I was wondering if I can send a PM, since I am new to this forum I do not know how to do that.

Did you have to revise your application essay (cover letter), to fit the different PI that you ended up contacting. For example if your research interest was in diabetes, and included it in your statement, did you end up going back and revising it later on, if the PI's you contacted did not fit your research interests. I appreciate your help.

Additionally, I was wondering if I can send a PM, since I am new to this forum I do not know how to do that.

You can click on their username and click on "Start a Conversation" or go to Inbox at the top of the page and click on "Start a Conversation" then type in their username.

I did not revise my original statement in my application, however for each PI I made a unique statement of interest in my contact E-mail. In the end, the lab I joined was not directly studying what I hope to study, but will provide me with the knowledge of techniques necessary to study in that field. I wouldn't worry too much about revising your statement as long as you don't include in your statement an interest in diabetes and apply to some vastly unrelated lab. Just focus on tying into your contact E-mail how their lab will help you achieve your goals.

I did not revise my original statement in my application, however for each PI I made a unique statement of interest in my contact E-mail. In the end, the lab I joined was not directly studying what I hope to study, but will provide me with the knowledge of techniques necessary to study in that field. I wouldn't worry too much about revising your statement as long as you don't include in your statement an interest in diabetes and apply to some vastly unrelated lab. Just focus on tying into your contact E-mail how their lab will help you achieve your goals.

Did you start the program this year or last year? If you don't mind me asking, did you commit to 1 year or 2 years. Finally what Institute are you currently working in i.e. NINDS, and what has been your experience so far been like in terms of faculty mentor.

Did you start the program this year or last year? If you don't mind me asking, did you commit to 1 year or 2 years. Finally what Institute are you currently working in i.e. NINDS, and what has been your experience so far been like in terms of faculty mentor.

I started in August 2014, and committed one year so far because I'm applying for matriculation in 2015. My PI asked when I started if there would be a possibility of working two years, so I haven't ruled it out.

I work in NIBIB and love it, both the work and the people, but I think you sort of have to get lucky and land in the correct lab - the work could be interesting but the people might be rough to deal with and vise/versa.

It's certainly a step up from my previous postbac which was at a PUI and much more relaxed. At NIH, there's certainly a pressure to publish which had me initially anxious to make mistakes. That's the only down side to the experience, but my anxiety is more or less gone after a couple months.

The FAES courses do count for GPA for medical school, but they're not too much. Most are 2-3 credits, which honestly does not bump too much.

Most PIs I've spoken to here are more interested in having you do research than take courses, but like most universities, you'll find a range of expectations and environments at NIH in terms of lab culture. There is the Technical IRTA program, which is 2-3 years in length instead of 1-2 like the traditional IRTA, which does require that you take courses from FAES as a part of your training.

My two cents on the application: applying for only one year will make you much less attractive to potential PIs. As others have said, it takes a long time to train someone, and if you're applying to medical school in the meantime, you'll likely be gone for significant portions of the year for interviews, etc. I applied for one year (and then extended for a second), and I had quite a few PIs tell me straight up that they weren't interested because I wasn't applying for two years.

The FAES courses do count for GPA for medical school, but they're not too much. Most are 2-3 credits, which honestly does not bump too much.

Most PIs I've spoken to here are more interested in having you do research than take courses, but like most universities, you'll find a range of expectations and environments at NIH in terms of lab culture. There is the Technical IRTA program, which is 2-3 years in length instead of 1-2 like the traditional IRTA, which does require that you take courses from FAES as a part of your training.

My two cents on the application: applying for only one year will make you much less attractive to potential PIs. As others have said, it takes a long time to train someone, and if you're applying to medical school in the meantime, you'll likely be gone for significant portions of the year for interviews, etc. I applied for one year (and then extended for a second), and I had quite a few PIs tell me straight up that they weren't interested because I wasn't applying for two years.

How do you like the program so far? Is the stipend enough to live on considering the COL in DC is (from what I've heard) pretty high?

I live in downtown DC in a decent apartment with a hefty car payment, and I can still scrape by on the IRTA stipend. It's not so awful, but a roommate will likely be necessary. Ideally you should find a place that's metro accessible because NIH will pay for your metro travel each month.

Is the metro particularly safe (especially for a girl) if one were to travel alone? Would you suggest bringing a car?

The metro is very safe. As a female, I can feel a little sketched out late at night (after 11 PM) if I'm alone just because there aren't a lot of people, but I've never had a problem.
I like having a car, but if you're near a metro stop and a grocery store it's really not necessary.

Is the metro particularly safe (especially for a girl) if one were to travel alone? Would you suggest bringing a car?

Metro is very safe, though I don't go on it very late (I go out within walking distance). Don't bring a car if you can help it.

How do you like the program so far? Is the stipend enough to live on considering the COL in DC is (from what I've heard) pretty high?
COL is pretty high in DC, but you can find places that are within the IRTA budget. Many IRTAs live up in Rockville because the prices are cheaper and you can get subsidized Metro fare (it does have a monthly cap). Expect to pay a little more in rent than you'd be used to if you're like me and from the Midwest.

I disagree with VILLVGE about the car, though the situation is probably very different in downtown DC than in Rockville. Having a car in the MD suburbs is extremely useful because the MD Ride-On transit system is pretty awful. Otherwise, it's a lot of walking in the rain in the future.

Personally, I'm mostly happy with my experiences in the program. I've been given a lot of independence on my projects and am basically treated like a graduate student. I'm also in a very small lab, so I have my hands in pretty much everything that goes on (lots of papers for me!). Sometimes my PI doesn't understand that I'm in the application process and need to be gone on interviews for multiple days in a row, and sometimes, it seems like I spend way too much time dealing with the bureaucratic nature of working for the government.

Not everyone has had my experience though: I know a few postbacs that are counting down the days until they leave. Most of them are in pretty toxic work environments.

COL is pretty high in DC, but you can find places that are within the IRTA budget. Many IRTAs live up in Rockville because the prices are cheaper and you can get subsidized Metro fare (it does have a monthly cap). Expect to pay a little more in rent than you'd be used to if you're like me and from the Midwest.

I disagree with VILLVGE about the car, though the situation is probably very different in downtown DC than in Rockville. Having a car in the MD suburbs is extremely useful because the MD Ride-On transit system is pretty awful. Otherwise, it's a lot of walking in the rain in the future.

Personally, I'm mostly happy with my experiences in the program. I've been given a lot of independence on my projects and am basically treated like a graduate student. I'm also in a very small lab, so I have my hands in pretty much everything that goes on (lots of papers for me!). Sometimes my PI doesn't understand that I'm in the application process and need to be gone on interviews for multiple days in a row, and sometimes, it seems like I spend way too much time dealing with the bureaucratic nature of working for the government.

Not everyone has had my experience though: I know a few postbacs that are counting down the days until they leave. Most of them are in pretty toxic work environments.

How long have you been a IRTA? Also which branch of the nih are you working for?

How long have you been a IRTA? Also which branch of the nih are you working for?
I've been an IRTA since June 2013, and I work in the National Eye Institute.

If you don't mind me asking. How did you study either for the GRE/MCAT while working at the NIH. Additionally, are there resources i.e. tutoring available if you take courses at the NIH, and a advising office to better assist you towards a career.

If you don't mind me asking. How did you study either for the GRE/MCAT while working at the NIH. Additionally, are there resources i.e. tutoring available if you take courses at the NIH, and a advising office to better assist you towards a career.
I was working ~50 hrs a week during the 3 months I studied for the MCAT and got a good score. You just need to study effectively and manage your time properly

I studied for 90 minutes/day before work because I know I'm more productive in the morning. And of course I studied on the weekends too.
I don't know about tutoring, but there is an advising office (OITE) that offers pre-graduate/professional school advising, including practice interviews, which I found really useful.

If you had a choice to pick between NIH IRTA or a lab close to home (both pay the same amount), which would you pick?

I would like to save up some money by living at home, and not to mention, I won't have to fly out to my home state for med school interviews, which would save a ton of flight costs. I can also continue my part-time job if I stay at home, as well.

Is NIH IRTA so prestigious that it should trump all other research position opportunities?

Hey @itsthat1guy - have you started emailing PIs yet or are you waiting for a completed online app?
I've compiled a list of ~60 investigators whose work interests me but I'm still polishing my cover letter. Will probably apply around the end of November when I'm less busy

For everyone applying-what's your backup plan in case you don't get in? I'm considering doing a master's since I have about 1/2 the graduate credit needed by the time I graduate, but I feel it's a waste of money. Are there any other research programs like this at, say, HHMI or Salk?

For everyone applying-what's your backup plan in case you don't get in? I'm considering doing a master's since I have about 1/2 the graduate credit needed by the time I graduate, but I feel it's a waste of money. Are there any other research programs like this at, say, HHMI or Salk?

If you want to do MD/PhD you could do one of the PREP programs. http://publications.nigms.nih.gov/multimedia/map/prep/
Alternatively, do research with a PI at a school.

I am also looking for research assistant jobs at hospitals and universities. My back up back up is doing research at a uni in my home city as a volunteer and living with my parents.

How did you guys study for your MCAT i.e. how many hours a day, and what type of study schedule did you guys have?

How did you guys study for your MCAT i.e. how many hours a day, and what type of study schedule did you guys have?
I was working full time so when I got home around 5, I would run for ~1hr then study for about 3 hours. Di 10 hours or so on the weekends.

I was working full time so when I got home around 5, I would run for ~1hr then study for about 3 hours. Di 10 hours or so on the weekends.
Can you provide a little more details as far as how many months you studied, and if you took a review course. Additionally, did you take it recently within the past year.

Can you provide a little more details as far as how many months you studied, and if you took a review course. Additionally, did you take it recently within the past year.
I took it at the end of august, studied for about 4 months with no review course

A question for all who have taken time off after your undergraduate degree. Do you think a gap year or two will help increase your chances of getting admitted into medical or graduate schools? Also how did you come to that decision?