NIH IRTA Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A question for all who have taken time off after your undergraduate degree. Do you think a gap year or two will help increase your chances of getting admitted into medical or graduate schools?

It depends on what you do with that time, but if it's the NIH program, it absolutely does

Members don't see this ad.

A question for all who have taken time off after your undergraduate degree. Do you think a gap year or two will help increase your chances of getting admitted into medical or graduate schools? Also how did you come to that decision?

It depends on what you do with that time, but if it's the NIH program, it absolutely does

Gap years will help your chances if you use them to efficiently address any deficiencies on your application. The NIH IRTA program can be an opportunity to boost your biomedical research experience. It will also help you gain clinical experience if you can find a doctor to shadow on campus or those practicing near the area while you do full time research.

However, your experience will vary from other trainees. Depending on your laboratory group, you could be involved in projects leading to publication(s) within your 1-2 years there and you may even get the chance to present a poster or oral platform at a national conference if funds are available.

Also, you are expected to apply to graduate and/or professional school during your time at NIH. There are excellent resources available to you on campus regarding career advice or application assistance should you need them.

I was in the IRTA program for 2 years and I greatly enjoyed my time there. Again, your experience will vary depending on your laboratory group and I will say that you should be proactive in seeking out the opportunities offered by the program to maximize your experience.

A question for all who have taken time off after your undergraduate degree. Do you think a gap year or two will help increase your chances of getting admitted into medical or graduate schools? Also how did you come to that decision?
I think it depends on your personal situation. I was planning on applying MD/PhD, so I decided that taking time off would be good so I could expand my research skills and make sure that it was something I wanted to do with the rest of my life. It definitely has helped with applications, because I've been able to talk about a project in more detail at interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently in the program and I love it. It s really what you make of it, there are great resources, great opportunities to build great professional relationships with fthe best cutting edge scientists and investigators in the world, and also to publish and start a great career. The most important thing is to find a great investigator, some investigators are just really busy and can't even care less of your goals or whether or not you are making progress. One of my friends was working for this PI and she was struggling with the project she kept emailing her PI for months to meet and discuss he would just ignore all her emails. So make sure you work with a great PI. My PI is also very busy but definitely doesn't ignore me at all.

I'm currently in the program and I love it. It s really what you make of it, there are great resources, great opportunities to build great professional relationships with fthe best cutting edge scientists and investigators in the world, and also to publish and start a great career. The most important thing is to find a great investigator, some investigators are just really busy and can't even care less of your goals or whether or not you are making progress. One of my friends was working for this PI and she was struggling with the project she kept emailing her PI for months to meet and discuss he would just ignore all her emails. So make sure you work with a great PI. My PI is also very busy but definitely doesn't ignore me at all.
Would you mind giving us an idea of what your application was like (in terms of prior research experience, academics, etc).

Would you mind giving us an idea of what your application was like (in terms of prior research experience, academics, etc).
I didn't really submit a formal application. I just emailed some PIs whose research I was interested in, many of them turned me down but many also invited me to interview. I had a prior internship during my undergraduate years at a local research center. One thing I can say is that they love their school graduates. Most of my colleagues and I here are all graduates of the same school. the chances are if you graduated from the same school as your PI or if your PI is affiliated with a specific school they will more likely hire you (obviously if you have decent grades and references). It's just about finding the right match I will say. Also another thing that is important is a strong cover letter, really research the PI's research and write specifics about how you would contribute to their research. My career center at school had cover letter templates that I used. And no you don't need perfect academics, mostly a strong drive, strong Cover letter and references and why you would make a great fit. One thing about the program here specifically at my institute is that you barely see your PI. I meet my PI maybe every other month, and I could either take forever on a project or work hard, publish, and take advantage of the great resources. So they really want an idependent self driven person that will be productive without having to be told what to do all the time.

Reactions: 1 user
My application is officially submitted, should have letters in within the next two weeks. Is it ok to start emailing PIs now, or do I have to wait until my letters come in (I presume the latter)? Who else has their app in?

It's a bit early to start emailing. I'd wait a month or so for postbacs to get accepted to med school/ grad school. Some PIs won't know if they have spots until their current postbacs are sure they will be leaving.

My application is officially submitted, should have letters in within the next two weeks. Is it ok to start emailing PIs now, or do I have to wait until my letters come in (I presume the latter)? Who else has their app in?

Hey! I would start emailing PIs ASAP--I've already had a few interviews, and even one acceptance, so it's never too early. Squeaky wheel gets the grease!

Hey! I would start emailing PIs ASAP--I've already had a few interviews, and even one acceptance, so it's never too early. Squeaky wheel gets the grease!
Congratulations! Did you have your letters of recommendation in when you started contacting PIs? I'm eager to start emailing people

Hi everyone, I'm in the program at nih. If you have any questions just pm me or ask me on here.

Also, another quick note on here that I kinda have pet peeve for. NIH is not in DC. It is in bethesda, maryland and has a few other satellite campuses in other parts of maryland.

Col in maryland is not as expensive the further away from dc that you live but rent can still be expensive in this area.

I want to add onto this question. I recently applied, but am having troubles on how to find out who has a current position open. I have two years of previous research experience, and recently graduated. I would greatly appreciate it if you can answer my question on how you were selected, or found your PI at the NIH. Also, how did you know if they had a position open.

P.S. This is my first time on this forum.

Also, you should google the nih summer research poster session. This lists all of the students that presented a poster in the summer. What is great about this is that it also lists the pi. So, you know that these pis are very open to and interested in hosting a student in their lab.

How long was your wait before being selected? Additionally, did you include in your initial email that you are available to begin work right away or give them an estimated start date.
The wait for a response and acceptance can always vary. For me, I submitted in the end of the spring and heard back from a pi 1.5 mo later. That's another thing, since your application is in a database that is open to all pis, you may be contacted by a pi that you never contacted previously and is interested in speaking with you or hiring you. This happened to me on 4 different occasions.

I read somewhere that you can take classes at the NIH while there that are factored into your AMCAS GPA, is this true?
There are also classes that are offered and do not give you a grade. You just complete it and take a final for a certificate. Also, remember that these classes cost money. Some pis are willing to pay for one class per semester.

Did you have to revise your application essay (cover letter), to fit the different PI that you ended up contacting. For example if your research interest was in diabetes, and included it in your statement, did you end up going back and revising it later on, if the PI's you contacted did not fit your research interests. I appreciate your help.

Additionally, I was wondering if I can send a PM, since I am new to this forum I do not know how to do that.
. You submit a cover letter into a database so you are not very specific to the pis research. However when you email a pi, you just state a quick sentence about your interests in their specific research then attach your cv or resume.

Last edited:
Is it possible to apply for this program and medical school at the same time? (So I can do this research in my gap year as I apply for medical school) Or do postbacs in this program usually apply for medical school after doing their research for a while?

Is it possible to apply for this program and medical school at the same time? (So I can do this research in my gap year as I apply for medical school) Or do postbacs in this program usually apply for medical school after doing their research for a while?
You can apply for both, but I'd imagine that most PIs want a 2 year commitment

Members don't see this ad :)

Yes I am doing this

Can anyone list off some PIs they are familiar with who are very productive in their relationships with undergrads?

Thanks for your replies, @nope1955 and @itsthat1guy . Does anyone know if it's okay to use the same letter of recs to apply to both NIH IRTA and medical school at the same time? I've yet to look into how letters of rec actually get sent in; do most letter writers only want their letters being used for one type of application?

Can anyone list off some PIs they are familiar with who are very productive in their relationships with undergrads?

I doubt that someone will do this as it will defeat the purpose of anonymity. But, google nih summer research poster session. There should be a PDF that lists the summer intern students with the names of their pis.

Thanks for your replies, @nope1955 and @itsthat1guy . Does anyone know if it's okay to use the same letter of recs to apply to both NIH IRTA and medical school at the same time? I've yet to look into how letters of rec actually get sent in; do most letter writers only want their letters being used for one type of application?

I asked the same individuals to write me letters of recs for several programs and med school. I just told them what the purpose of each program was and assumed that they tweaked a few sentences to cater to each program.

Letters of recommendation are (ideally) tailored to the program you're applying to, so a given professor must write separate letters

How is the application process going for everyone? I've sent around 15 emails so far but no luck yet

E-mailed about 90 labs now - I have genuine interest in their research, not just randomly cold-emailing - and got 7 maybes and an interview invite. I had to decline, though, as they wanted a two-year commitment and I really can only see myself doing one year. Will probably e-mail a few more PIs before giving up and just waiting to see if any PIs looking through the database will contact me.

How's everyone doing w/r/t applications? I was in MD last week, and did another interview today on Skype, another to be scheduled for sometime in the next week or two.

How's everyone doing w/r/t applications? I was in MD last week, and did another interview today on Skype, another to be scheduled for sometime in the next week or two.
I had a couple phone interviews. One said she wasn't sure about funding but didn't foresee issues but she wouldn't know until March. Therefore I kept emailing and emailing and emailing until I had a couple more phone interviews. I think one likely went with another candidate. I don't know about the other yet.

I am considering scribing and working part time in a research lab near where I live. I have also heard of PIs at extremely well funded (relatively speaking I'm not sure if there is such a thing as well-funded these days lol) institutions taking on random, unaffiliated, motivated students like us. Considering broadening my horizons. I think as long as I am productive and learning I will be happy. I don't have to be at the NIH.

Received an offer from a lab, finally. For those still waiting, keep at it!

Final tally was around 100.
how many interviews have you done? im waiting to hear back from a couple labs and have 2 in person (post skype) interviews coming up

how many interviews have you done? im waiting to hear back from a couple labs and have 2 in person (post skype) interviews coming up
I did three interviews - still waiting on the decision for the other two, but as it stands I'm ready to accept this offer I have.

Got an acceptance at one of my top choices! Gonna be pretty hard to turn that one down Looks like I'll be at the NCI :p

All in all, only 3 interviews out of 40+ e-mails sent out.

I should be hearing back from a lab in the next week or so, hopefully i will be joining the both of you at the NIH

Got an acceptance at one of my top choices! Gonna be pretty hard to turn that one down Looks like I'll be at the NCI :p

All in all, only 3 interviews out of 40+ e-mails sent out.

Congratulations!

I should be hearing back from a lab in the next week or so, hopefully i will be joining the both of you at the NIH

Good luck man, let us know how it goes!

Last edited:
Just got accepted to a lab in Frederick! So excited. Still have interviews to do in Bethesda and Durham before I make my final decision, but this is one of my top choices.

Just got accepted to a lab in Frederick! So excited. Still have interviews to do in Bethesda and Durham before I make my final decision, but this is one of my top choices.
Congrats!! I'm also going to be in Frederick (as soon as they get me the paperwork :p). NCI, I presume? I was shown around Frederick last weekend and it seems like a really fun, affordable town.

Congrats!! I'm also going to be in Frederick (as soon as they get me the paperwork :p). NCI, I presume? I was shown around Frederick last weekend and it seems like a really fun, affordable town.
Yes at the NCI. I was there for a weekend during my interview and checked out main street, it's pretty nice, plus its only like an hour from DC. Definitely right about housing, rent in Bethesda is insane

Congrats!! When are you going to start? PM me if you need any help with housing in Baltimore!

I'll be starting some time in June!
Congratulations man!

Have you guys started filling out paperwork for working next year yet? How long does that take and what's required?

Congrats guys! It's a great experience.

Have you guys started filling out paperwork for working next year yet? How long does that take and what's required?

I did it July last year. I was asked to have an official transcript mailed to their administrative office. IIRC the most time consuming thing is the background check, which took me about an hour to fill out because they want dates and contact references for every job you had and place you lived. You can use the same reference for multiAfter that, it takes a few weeks to a month to process.

Going to begin sending out emails this week despite that none of my recommenders have uploaded their letters. I've asked them to do so by mid-April at the latest, but hopefully this doesn't affect whether PIs will consider me/look at the attachments to my emails (CV + cover letter).

Do you guys think it's too late to find a position beginning in late June or early July? I have 2 years of research experience with a 1 first author publication (an Ophthalmology review article), but very minimal experience in various lab techniques.
its pretty late in the game imho but you may luck out if you email a ton of PIs (think 100+) starting now

Although, I'm curious whom you all emailed to get up to more than 25 messages sent. For those of you who emailed more than 25, did you rely solely on the Annual Intramural Research Report Database and not use the "NIH Postbac Poster Day" brochure? It seems reasonable to think that the investigators listed in that brochure would likely be more willing to take on postbacs considering their history working with them. I don't know for sure, though.
i emailed ~200 by looking through investigators that were listed under fields of interest, eg cell biology, genetics, etc

I used the same site @itsthat1guy used. Definitely helped me narrow my focus and pick labs that are actually of interest to me.

Just found out from the lab that offered me a position that they can't take me due to administrative reasons! So fcking pissed off, at least they're helping me revive the interview offers I declined after taking their offer.

Oh dang, that sucks! I'm kind of scared about mine now... I have two weeks til I visit the lab and make it 100% sure.