Nikon or Olympus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bioguy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To start with...
Any opinions/preferences/reviews/recommendation/comments whatever...

Members don't see this ad.

Its not the brand of the microscope that makes the microscope, but the grade of objectives that you mount onto it. In addition, both manufactures, as well as all other laboratory grade manufacturers such as Leica and Zeiss, make the same grades of objectives: achromat (base, cheap), fluorite/semi-apochromatic (mid-tier, more expensive), and apochromatic (maximum resolution and quality, super expensive). A full set of achromats (2X - dry 60 X) will run you about $2K with either manufacturer where as the same set at apochromatic grade will run you ~$12K.

As far as which company you go with, its all personal preference. Olympus likes to tout its ergonomic low-stage microscope and accessories. Nikon doesn't sell a low stage microscope, but no one that has used their scopes, including myself, has complained about their hardware. Both manufacturers also make LED light sources that can quite literally last you an entire career. Its all about what you want and how much money you can invest into objectives.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user
The image is more often degraded by a poor quality histology lab than by a mediocre level microscope.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't seen a brand that I didn't like. Olympus, Nikon and Zeiss are all great and I have used scopes from all three over the years. Currently have Nikon Eclipse 55i with LED light purchased 7 years ago. I actually prefer halogen light source but LED do last alot longer.

I agree, it's the objectives that are most important (buy the best you can) and make sure to get an ergonomic head.

I have a Nikon Eclipse. I love it. Great ergonomics. The LED light is easy on the eyes with prolonged use. Their plan apo optics are superb. I used Olympus thoughout residency and fellowship, but I enjoy my Nikon way more.

I used (and still have even though retired) an Olympus with a full set of their
top-of-the-line S Plan Apo's and the super wide field trinoc head with the super wide field eye pieces. It was as good as any I had seen over many years.
It really boils down to personal taste.

Also having a motorized microscope is really nice. Not having to move hands to switch objectives and condenser. You really notice the ease when signing out all day.

How come no love for Zeiss? I tested some really nice Zeiss scopes about a decade ago. They are another company to contact when it comes time to purchase scopes.

How come no love for Zeiss? I tested some really nice Zeiss scopes about a decade ago. They are another company to contact when it comes time to purchase scopes.

I'm told that Zeiss dropped the ball a decade or so ago in bright field microscopy when it decided to instead focus on high end surgery optical equipment. Zeiss still makes microscopes, but going to their website gives you the impression that they are carving out a niche in the developing world and education.

I checked out their website and it looks like you are right. We ended up buying many Nikon 55i and 80i but the Zeiss we looked at many years ago were quality scopes. I need to get with the times. Sad to see a great company drop out. Sounds like the business rule of three doesn't apply to scopes any longer. We are down to two major competitors.