Ninja articles

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brianmartin

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I just started FM residency. One of my goals is to develop a file of "ninja articles". These would be articles I can pull out at a moment's notice, that would help support my clinical decisions in the face of whatever current non-evidence based crap is being done.

Hopefully articles that save people money, time, or injury. For example, I have a paper that found no data to support doing annual pelvic exams as part of a well woman exam, outside of cervical screening or std testing. Yet some attendings say to do one.

I want PAPERS that I can pull and say, hey, check this out. Do we really need to do this?

There are hundreds of little topics like this. Anyone have any good ones?

Here is the one I mentioned:
http://www.hsrd.research.va.gov/publications/esp/pelvic-exam.cfm

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like a cool idea, but wouldn't it be better to cite the USPSTF and the ACFP etc?

One article probably shouldn't change the way you practice, but multiple studies coming to the same conclusion, that's what I look for in terms of EBM.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most, if not all, of the articles on the AAFP website should be of the level 1 systemic review variety

Ah man, I though the title said Ninja Turtles and I got all excited for a minute.

Most, if not all, of the articles on the AAFP website should be of the level 1 systemic review variety
Yeah the AFP's articles are legit. If you wanna go after the actual study, look up the AFP article and read their sources at the end of an article.

Also if you wanna know about guidelines (even though the AFP consistently updates you on new stuff), go to the USPSTF and CDC website on stuff, and look at the sources they cite. It's usually the breakthrough/go to article that the guidelines are referring off from.

You can do the same with uptodate (look at the citations)

Long story short: just read AFP. The journal even lets you know some interesting articles that are relevant from other journals if you want to further enhance your paper-name-dropping-skills. :ninja: