Nitrous oxide while pregnant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hcj

Here we go...
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am a third year dental student and about 7 weeks pregnant. I haven't really told anyone at school yet. I am doing an oral surgery rotation next week and at our clinic this means open cubicles, not particularly well ventilated, and lots of nitrous. I know I probably shouldn't administer it to patients myself, however, I am wondering if I should just reschedule the entire rotation since I will be in very close proximity to it.
I asked my OB and he said he doesn't really know, but would write me a note excusing me, if necessary.
I am still a little in shock (but very happy) about the pregnancy and trying to figure this all out in a hurry. Any advice or wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
HCJ

Members don't see this ad.

Do y'all not use the HVE hooked up to scavenge the NO2? I know it's not a foolproof method, but it's not like you'll be working in a cloud of NO2.

To err on the side of caution, it may be a good idea to reschedule when you're in your second trimester, or after delivery - if at all possible.

Reactions: 1 users
For the health of your baby, I would reschedule! Just think how sad you would feel if you had a miscarriage and you spend the rest of your life wondering if maybe it was related to the NO...

Reactions: 1 user