NJ Law Question - Dispensing limits on CIII-CV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reeroreero

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm a student and a bit confused about dispensing limits on CIII-CVs. I know with CIIs in NJ, the limit is 30 days or quantity 120. For CIII-CVs, is there a similar limit on days supply or quantity? The only information on dispensing limits I found for CIII-CVs is that the RX expires in 6 months or 5 refills. I would really appreciate if someone could help me out. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

CIIs: 30 days or 120 dosage units. 120 can be exceeded if prescriber writes "chronic intractable pain." there is no exception to the 30-day limit.
CIII-V: only limits are 6 months or 5 refills whichever is less. First fill has to be within 30 days of written date.

Nit picking for completeness' sake.

CII: 120 may be exceeded for cancer pain or terminal illness as well. 30-day exception may be overridden for implanted infusion pumps (switches to 90 day supply max, I doubt this will come up in any traditional practice. According to the law none of these limits apply to long term care facilities where CII's are valid for 60 days and can be partial filled repeatedly

Members don't see this ad :)
Nit picking for completeness' sake.

CII: 120 may be exceeded for cancer pain or terminal illness as well. 30-day exception may be overridden for implanted infusion pumps (switches to 90 day supply max, I doubt this will come up in any traditional practice. According to the law none of these limits apply to long term care facilities where CII's are valid for 60 days and can be partial filled repeatedly

Pretty much summed up all the exceptions to CII's. Also 120 dosage limit can be exceeded for "chronic intractable pain" in addition to cancer pain and terminal illness.

Is there a statute I can refer to stating that for CIII-V, the first fill has to be within 30 days of the written date? I thought this was the case when studying for law, but couldn't find anything to back it up

Is there a statute I can refer to stating that for CIII-V, the first fill has to be within 30 days of the written date? I thought this was the case when studying for law, but couldn't find anything to back it up
http://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/Adoptions/dcaado_031708.pdf
New Jersey Controlled Drug Substances regulation 8:65-7.5(a) specifically requires that “all prescriptions for controlled substances, regardless of schedules, shall be presented to the pharmacist for filling within 30 days after the date when issued.”

So as long as it is filled within the first 30 days, and is no more than 5 refills/6months - there is no days supply limit for CIII-CV? So for example, NJ law allows for a 60 day fill for CIII-CV? Thanks!