NJ Pharmacist License requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nextyearrx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there!

I go to a school in PA and planning to get Pharmacist License in NJ after graduation:)

Any idea of how many total hours required for NJ state? B/C I am only getting 750 hours from my school,

Thanks in advance...

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there, I had a similar question/thread from earlier in the summer, but I guess it got deleted.

I have the same issue, where I've had a lot of trouble finding a job as an intern for PA hours. To the best of my knowledge, all you have to do for a NJ license is graduate pharmacy school.

(from the current NJ license application)
To be eligible to be licensed as a pharmacist in New Jersey an individual must:
1) be at least 18 years of age;

2) have graduated and received either a Bachelor of Science in pharmacy or a Doctor of Pharmacy degree from a college of pharmacy accredited by the American Council of Pharmaceutical Education (ACPE),

3) Take and pass NAPLEX and MJPE for New Jersey

4) have completed a 1,440-hour internship

5) undergo a criminal history background check

Under #4, can be fulfilled by:

by completion of a structured, college-accredited externship and clinical pharmacy clerkship program offered by an ACPE accredited college of pharmacy. To further clarify, this means that the Board will accept up to 1,440 hours of practical experience for applicants who are enrolled in a Doctor of Pharmacy program at an ACPE-accredited college of pharmacy.

All in all, you get 1,440 hours of APPE from 4th year of rotations, most states only take up to 750 hours of APPE towards intern hours for a license.

One of my classmates said NJ wanted to possibly add 250 intern working hours to fulfill the requirement, but I don't know how true that is.

I'm in the same position you are, I'll try and keep you up to date on what I know. But I think as long as you graduate from an ACPE school, your eligible to sit for Naplex/MJPE.