MD & DO NJ Resident cGPA & sGPA 3.62 MCAT ~30 --- NJMS EDP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BS1026

Class of 2015
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
  • cGPA 3.62, sGPA 3.62 MCAT ~30 (taking it July 2)
  • Biology major and honors student
  • NJ resident, half latino / half white
  • Significant clinical and volunteer experience (Emergency Department Tech, EMT, multiple medical missions abroad, etc)
  • Good LORs (three from professors, one from a DO, and one from an MD)
How do my chances look for MD school? DO school?

I'm also considering applying early decision (EDP) to Rutgers New Jersey Medical School (NJMS). Do you see this being advantageous to me?

Other schools on my list:

MD
  • Rutgers New Jersey Medical School
  • Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson
  • Rowan Cooper Medical School
  • New York Medical College
DO
  • Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
  • Rowan School of Osteopathic Medicine
  • Nova Southeastern College of Medicine

What other schools should I consider? Do you see any of the schools above being a safety school? Do you see any of the schools above being a reach school?

Members don't see this ad.

NJMS EDP might be a decent option for you, but you are taking your MCAT too late if you want to apply EDP. NJMS works very quickly during the EDP period so that applicants who aren't accepted can go forward with the regular application process rather quickly without sacrificing too much time.

Members don't see this ad :)
They are all reaches when one applies late.

Gyngyn, can you clarify what exactly you mean. My thinking was that I won't have my MCAT scores back until early August anyway, so applying EDP would only delay my application by a few weeks (given I'd expect to hear back from NJMS in late August). Do you feel like those 2-3 weeks in between the time I would have my MCAT score and the time I'd hear back from NJMS is crucial?

Gyngyn, can you clarify what exactly you mean. My thinking was that I won't have my MCAT scores back until early August anyway, so applying EDP would only delay my application by a few weeks (given I'd expect to hear back from NJMS in late August). Do you feel like those 2-3 weeks in between the time I would have my MCAT score and the time I'd hear back from NJMS is crucial?
EDP schools can take until October to give you a decision. That will dramatically reduce your odds of success elsewhere if they do not pick you. That's why one should only apply EDP if they are quite confident of being accepted or wouldn't mind delaying their application a year.

Shouldn't a 30 be fine for those schools? Especially if your ECs are good, and GPA is ok?

Would applying asap make up for that? And writing a killer PS?

Shouldn't a 30 be fine for those schools? Especially if your ECs are good, and GPA is ok?

Would applying asap make up for that? And writing a killer PS?
Only the school you are interested in can answer that.
Some schools only take EDP that are much better than they can get in the regular pool.

would you mind sharing how this worked out for you? I'm in a similar situation with a similar list of schools