NMAT results and tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wbascara

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, my name is Will and I had recently taken the NMAT in December 2011 in LA. I did not do well; I got a 31 percentile. Although other schools have different preferred rates I need a higher score for UERM which officially prefers a 70 percentile. The test itself was different from the practice exam and I practiced the practice exams under the time conditions.
I am really considering review courses such as Kaplan even though others didn't need them. Does this hold true?
Any replies would be appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, my name is Will and I had recently taken the NMAT in December 2011 in LA. I did not do well; I got a 31 percentile. Although other schools have different preferred rates I need a higher score for UERM which officially prefers a 70 percentile. The test itself was different from the practice exam and I practiced the practice exams under the time conditions.
I am really considering review courses such as Kaplan even though others didn't need them. Does this hold true?
Any replies would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hey Will,
I took the MCAT this December as well, albeit it was in the Philippines (Fil-am studying abroad). For the MCAT, you simply need to have a plan of attack.

I knew I was weak in the sciences (haven't taken many of the sciences since 3-4+ years ago) and it was difficult because the science for nursing is waay different from the science for pre-med (aka, weak gen/orgo chem background, no gen bio background, physics was back in highschool). So what I did was I got a few textbooks online that were easy to comprehend and starting 4 months before the exam, i started learning everything I could in a month. Each month would be a subject so 1 month i'd read all of a biology textbook AND watch some khanacademy (because I'm a visual and auditory learner and having that other perspective is always helpful when you're stuck.)

I did all of that, doing the chapter reviews and trying to put everything together in my head. To supplement the textbook and the khan academy, if a text had an exam crackers book, i'd take a peek at that.

There's really nothing you could do with chem and physics, it's simply rote memorization of formulas. O yea, start doing your calculations as much in your head as possible.

For the exam, which I had a hard time concentrating in (I was in a T-shirt and shorts in an air conditioned room, think ice age, in the corner, in front of an A/C. I was freezing and shaking the whole time, thought i was developing Reynaud's syndrome or something :laugh:), for the first part, i did everything except the math section first. I took extra care in perceptual acuity and only finished halfway through the math section (if even. I didn't watch my time there :scared:)

A tip for the inductive reasoning section: Convert the letters into numbers. It all starts to make sense.

For the sciences, it was just basics, but when studying, aim for the understanding of concepts and memorization of formulas. The best way is to derive the formulas yourself. The physics section at KhanAcademy did that perfectly and helped me understand it.

Teach yourself everything. It'll stick better and It's preparation for medschool. :smuggrin:

O yea to really test your knowledge, use the MSA NMAT Reviewer along with the provided review. It's harder than the exam, so if you can answer those decently, you shouldn't have too much problem.

For someone who got a C+ in physics in highschool and had poor sciences in college, teaching myself everything actually proved that I really wanted to do med and it was great developing a new way to learn. And if you're wondering, I got a 96 so you can definitely do it with a little review.

Goodluck! :xf:

Here's to hoping we might see eachother on campus one day. :smuggrin:

Oh, PS. I totally wrote in the book for the visual acuity section, albeit very very lightly. It's ok to be a rebel., haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
I only studied for two days for NMAT. I used my AP reviewers from high school to prepare for the subject tests. I used Barron for psychology, kaplan for bio, and princeton for both physics and chemistry. I didnt finish reading all the reviewers so i only got 85. In the physics part, I just memorized the units and read some important concepts- I didnt memorized any formula except Mechanics part. I read the entire bio and psychology. For Part 1, I substituted the letters with numbers. I got a perfect score in the quantitative part. In the data/graph parts, I round off all the numbers.

Thank you guys for your input. Converting the letters into numbers made sense.

Would any of you happen to have a copy of the MSA NMAT reviewer?

Hey Will,

Can you elaborate a bit on your current scholastic background? Are you early in your undergrad career? Also, what's your current major and GPA (cum. and science)? I'd like to know these things before I comment on your study plan.

I scored pretty well (above 80th percentile) and studied about one week for the NMAT. However, my studies were reinforced through earlier review since I studied from June to August for the September sitting of the MCAT, which I found to be very difficult and tricky to get a hang of without taking at least six or seven full-length practice exams. For the NMAT, I didn't use any reviewer other than quickly going over what I had studied for the MCAT, which is to say that I used SN2ed's guide which is posted all over the MCAT sub-section.

I graduated in 2009 from Temple. I majored in economics, 2.23 GPA. I had only two semesters of gen chemistry. I actually took science courses at my local community college (Gen Bio 1 and Gen Physics 1) to "prepare" for the exam back last summer and fall.

Hey all! quick update for anyone/everyone who actually reads my posts:

Started school at Fatima COM. Having a very interesting time here, Med school is going great so far. Have some very brilliant classmates actually.. many of the prof's here are great! They do put in effort to teach to our needs (MLE Step 1 boards), especially in classes like Embryo and Histo.

I ruled out UST since they only allow 2 weeks US rotation, narrowed choices to UE and Fatima. Chose Fatima since I didn't have the NMAT done yet by Sept.. and UE started school in June and I needed to get started NOW. I got a 91% on the NMAT, in case anyone wanted to know (I didn't study a minute for it, not bragging just saying). I've been very active with AMSA (Asian Medical Students Association, not American) and IFMSA (Intnt'l Med.stud. Ass.) and have made friends with many brilliant people from other med schools here.. keeping busy and kicking my step 1 study plan into gear. I'm SURE many of you will have questions. Feel free to post questions, I'll be happy to answer any!

Hey War Machine, were you in the military?

Hi,

I'm planning to take NMAT on December this yr in the PH. I've already started reviewing MCAT for bio, chem, & phy sections of the NMAT and will be reviewing GRE for the eng section. Although I still have a few questions regarding NMAT.
Is it paper-based or computer-based? Do they give you a calculator to use for the problem-solving questions? Also, how many questions does each subtest or Part has and what would be the average time to finish each subtest or part?
I would like to get an 80+ in just one take coz airfare is expensive and it takes a lot of time to prepare the paperworks needed to get into the med schools. I'm rooting for UST, FEU, and Fatima.
I'm an immigrant and will be applying for dual citizenship soon. Does that mean that I will be paying a non-refundable foreign applicant fee and donation of $6000+ worth in whichever school I get in? Or could I just apply as a regular Filipino applicant and not pay the fee since I will be a Fil-Am anyway.

Sorry if I asked a lot of questions, I just couldn't help it. ;)

Hi,

I'm planning to take NMAT on December this yr in the PH. I've already started reviewing MCAT for bio, chem, & phy sections of the NMAT and will be reviewing GRE for the eng section. Although I still have a few questions regarding NMAT.
Is it paper-based or computer-based? Do they give you a calculator to use for the problem-solving questions? Also, how many questions does each subtest or Part has and what would be the average time to finish each subtest or part?
I would like to get an 80+ in just one take coz airfare is expensive and it takes a lot of time to prepare the paperworks needed to get into the med schools. I'm rooting for UST, FEU, and Fatima.
I'm an immigrant and will be applying for dual citizenship soon. Does that mean that I will be paying a non-refundable foreign applicant fee and donation of $6000+ worth in whichever school I get in? Or could I just apply as a regular Filipino applicant and not pay the fee since I will be a Fil-Am anyway.

Sorry if I asked a lot of questions, I just couldn't help it. ;)
1. It is paper based
2. No calculators, only scratch paper
3. First part (math, vocab, visual acuity) was 40 questions per subtest second part (sciences) was 50 questions per subtest, or something like that. The difference between the two was only 10 questions, that much I remember
4. Depends on what school regarding the dual-citizenship. Most schools in Manila will make you pay that foreign fee(mandatory "donation" fee). UE for example, does NOT excuse it unless you have lived in the Philippines for 5-6 consecutive years.

Really take a look at the schools before choosing. Lucky for me, I'm finishing my last year of undergrad here so I checked out UST, Fatima, UE and St. Lukes. To say the least, UE was at the top of my list, followed by St. Lukes and UST tied for second and finally Fatima. I didn't look at FEU because filipino learning style is difficult compared to US and I excluded them because of almost non-existent Step 1 prep time. I ordered them based first on friendliness towards USMLE's, then location, then facilities.

Also, if you are in the US, I believe you can take it over there. Last I checked they have testing centers on both coasts.

Last edited:
1. It is paper based
2. No calculators, only scratch paper
3. First part (math, vocab, visual acuity) was 40 questions per subtest second part (sciences) was 50 questions per subtest, or something like that. The difference between the two was only 10 questions, that much I remember
4. Depends on what school regarding the dual-citizenship. Most schools in Manila will make you pay that foreign fee(mandatory "donation" fee). UE for example, does NOT excuse it unless you have lived in the Philippines for 5-6 consecutive years.

Really take a look at the schools before choosing. Lucky for me, I'm finishing my last year of undergrad here so I checked out UST, Fatima, UE and St. Lukes. To say the least, UE was at the top of my list, followed by St. Lukes and UST tied for second and finally Fatima. I didn't look at FEU because filipino learning style is difficult compared to US and I excluded them because of almost non-existent Step 1 prep time. I ordered them based first on friendliness towards USMLE's, then location, then facilities.

Also, if you are in the US, I believe you can take it over there. Last I checked they have testing centers on both coasts.

Thank you for the info BlazingAzn. It helps a lot :D. I checked the schools' website and the requirements and that's about everything I did. I have no idea about any of the school's background coz I just decided to go for med school there a month ago. And not a lot of my friends from PH proceeded to Medicine so I only have few resources. But thanks to you I kinda have an idea now. I might try for UE too :). Also, about USMLE, yes you can take it in the PH or I forgot which country it was but I'm pretty sure twas close to PH. My dad took in the 90's but he didn't take step3 coz he decided that we'll just stay in PH and when we got here in '05, he's thinking of taking it again. LOL.

The US NMAT is only offered in Nov/Dec. So I might as well just take it there on Dec. I would take it on Apr but I didn't renew my passport since I'll be applying for citizenship so yeah, I have to wait on that. So are you gonna be applying to schools for SY 2012-2013? Good for you. I can't wait til next yr :).

Thank you for the info BlazingAzn. It helps a lot :D. I checked the schools' website and the requirements and that's about everything I did. I have no idea about any of the school's background coz I just decided to go for med school there a month ago. And not a lot of my friends from PH proceeded to Medicine so I only have few resources. But thanks to you I kinda have an idea now. I might try for UE too :). Also, about USMLE, yes you can take it in the PH or I forgot which country it was but I'm pretty sure twas close to PH. My dad took in the 90's but he didn't take step3 coz he decided that we'll just stay in PH and when we got here in '05, he's thinking of taking it again. LOL.

The US NMAT is only offered in Nov/Dec. So I might as well just take it there on Dec. I would take it on Apr but I didn't renew my passport since I'll be applying for citizenship so yeah, I have to wait on that. So are you gonna be applying to schools for SY 2012-2013? Good for you. I can't wait til next yr :).

Yep, you can definitely take the USMLE in the PH, the problem lies in will you have the time to review for Step 1 and pass with a high score along with not failing/greatly slipping behind in medical school. Take a look at that and also take a look at how long you can do clinical rotations in US. UE is 6 months, Fatima 1 year, St. Lukes is less than UE and UST is significantly less (like a month maybe? I keep forgetting. It's in the other threads). You still need to renew your passport (how would you get here and fill out all the paperwork and some schools require that the other passport is also photocopied i.e. UE).

If you want to take a look at the schools here, then might as well take the nmat here. Go tour the areas, figure out living arrangements, check out the facilities/teachers/students as well. It's important because going to a school that looks great on paper and arriving there and finding out it is not a fit for you will make the 4 years suck.

Yep, I applied to only UE. Application fee of $300? Yea... only applying to my first choice in that case, if not, I'll work for a year and go at it again next year.

Yep, you can definitely take the USMLE in the PH, the problem lies in will you have the time to review for Step 1 and pass with a high score along with not failing/greatly slipping behind in medical school. Take a look at that and also take a look at how long you can do clinical rotations in US. UE is 6 months, Fatima 1 year, St. Lukes is less than UE and UST is significantly less (like a month maybe? I keep forgetting. It's in the other threads). You still need to renew your passport (how would you get here and fill out all the paperwork and some schools require that the other passport is also photocopied i.e. UE).

If you want to take a look at the schools here, then might as well take the nmat here. Go tour the areas, figure out living arrangements, check out the facilities/teachers/students as well. It's important because going to a school that looks great on paper and arriving there and finding out it is not a fit for you will make the 4 years suck.

Yep, I applied to only UE. Application fee of $300? Yea... only applying to my first choice in that case, if not, I'll work for a year and go at it again next year.

I would love to do clinical rotations in the US that way it would be easier to get a residency, I guess. Yeah, my dad told me that med school is hard. There'll be a lot of readings and sleepless nights. He asked me if I would be able to handle the pressure, stress, etc. and that if I wouldn't be homesick coz I will be living on my own. My relatives are in the Visayas so I doubt I will have time to be with them since I will be busy then.

Hmmm, bout the passport, my dad said that once you get the US passport they're gonna shred your PH passport but I'm not sure bout that. My parents are still in the interviewing process for citizenship. I asked them to look for apartments or dorms for me and inquire on the schools. They're going there on June so hopefully when they get back, I have everything I need for when I go there. LOL. And of course I will personally visit the schools when I get there.

Wow, that's great. I'm sure you'll get in. You have a really high NMAT score so it wouldn't be a prob getting to the best schools there. I just really hope I'd get a high NMAT score as you :).

Members don't see this ad :)
I would love to do clinical rotations in the US that way it would be easier to get a residency, I guess. Yeah, my dad told me that med school is hard. There'll be a lot of readings and sleepless nights. He asked me if I would be able to handle the pressure, stress, etc. and that if I wouldn't be homesick coz I will be living on my own. My relatives are in the Visayas so I doubt I will have time to be with them since I will be busy then.

Hmmm, bout the passport, my dad said that once you get the US passport they're gonna shred your PH passport but I'm not sure bout that. My parents are still in the interviewing process for citizenship. I asked them to look for apartments or dorms for me and inquire on the schools. They're going there on June so hopefully when they get back, I have everything I need for when I go there. LOL. And of course I will personally visit the schools when I get there.

Wow, that's great. I'm sure you'll get in. You have a really high NMAT score so it wouldn't be a prob getting to the best schools there. I just really hope I'd get a high NMAT score as you :).

Thanks. They do shred your passport when you get your US passport. I believe it's part of the application process. When you go back to the Ph, you have to apply for dual citizenship and when that's done, you have to set up an online appt at the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA). Processing for the passport is about a month, which really shouldn't be a problem since you'd be in the Ph for 10 months at a time if you don't go home for christmas (which is quite expensive airfare wise).

If your rents are looking for properties, I suggest the condos that they're building behind SM North. It's a good location (shops, groceries, transportation) and its a decent size for a single (26sq m) The other plus is it's only 2 train rides away from UE (YAY to no traffic!) if you go there or 1 bus/jeep ride to most other schools.

Best of luck to the citizenship status. Just be prepared for a culture shock when you get here. I definitely wasn't. I've become... a lot more... patient... lets just say, haha.

Thanks. They do shred your passport when you get your US passport. I believe it's part of the application process. When you go back to the Ph, you have to apply for dual citizenship and when that's done, you have to set up an online appt at the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA). Processing for the passport is about a month, which really shouldn't be a problem since you'd be in the Ph for 10 months at a time if you don't go home for christmas (which is quite expensive airfare wise).

If your rents are looking for properties, I suggest the condos that they're building behind SM North. It's a good location (shops, groceries, transportation) and its a decent size for a single (26sq m) The other plus is it's only 2 train rides away from UE (YAY to no traffic!) if you go there or 1 bus/jeep ride to most other schools.

Best of luck to the citizenship status. Just be prepared for a culture shock when you get here. I definitely wasn't. I've become... a lot more... patient... lets just say, haha.

Ok cool, thanks :D. You've been really helpful about everything especially with the processing of paperworks cause that part is confusing to me as well. For example, what should I do after taking NMAT? What will I do at DFA? Citizenship status, etc. Now, I know :). I will send you a message in the future regarding my processing and application status or if I get stuck with something or come up with more questions. I hope you could guide and help me in the future even though I know you'll be having a busy sched once school starts :).
Thanks again for the info. I wish you well. :D

Ok cool, thanks :D. You've been really helpful about everything especially with the processing of paperworks cause that part is confusing to me as well. For example, what should I do after taking NMAT? What will I do at DFA? Citizenship status, etc. Now, I know :). I will send you a message in the future regarding my processing and application status or if I get stuck with something or come up with more questions. I hope you could guide and help me in the future even though I know you'll be having a busy sched once school starts :).
Thanks again for the info. I wish you well. :D

No problem! Just message me with any questions and I'll try to help you out, even next year. Hope you apply to UERM, because if I get in, that's where I'll be next year, haha. Best of luck!

Hey Will,

I admire your willingness to share your stats. There are plenty of success stories all over these forums of individuals "righting their ship" and pushing for their goal of entering medicine, dentistry, etc. with sub-3.0 GPAs. Looking at your low GPA and NMAT score, I would encourage you to get back to the basics of 1) how to study effectively, 2) practicing standardized test-taking skills, and 3) addressing current academic deficiencies. Not judging you any bit, but I think there's a fundamental flaw in your study technique which may be entirely correctable if you change your focus. I'm not sure any study aids will help without addressing the fundamentals first. Regarding pre-req. courses, you are undeniably at a disadvantage not having completed more than one Bio course nor O-Chem or Biochem.

Thank you for your honest input. I think you're right about addressing fundamentals. As for my study plan I intend to read textbooks on the subjects before studying reviewers.

Hey HyunHwa,

did you visit Fatima lately? If it was you who visited, I'm the guy in the hall who answered some questions you had about Usmle / rotation time in the U.S. around before lunch time. If it wasn't you, never mind ^_^

Good luck in the admissions process for whatever school you decide upon!

On an unrelated note, just to clarify again (for myself also).. US rotation time allowance for schools are as follows?:

Fatima - 1 year
UE - 6 mos.
UST - 2 weeks (I've also heard 1 month?)
FEU - I've heard a year?
La Salle? St. Lukes? Others?

(can someone please answer these, thanks)

Hey HyunHwa,

did you visit Fatima lately? If it was you who visited, I'm the guy in the hall who answered some questions you had about Usmle / rotation time in the U.S. around before lunch time. If it wasn't you, never mind ^_^

Good luck in the admissions process for whatever school you decide upon!

On an unrelated note, just to clarify again (for myself also).. US rotation time allowance for schools are as follows?:

Fatima - 1 year
UE - 6 mos.
UST - 2 weeks (I've also heard 1 month?)
FEU - I've heard a year?
La Salle? St. Lukes? Others?

(can someone please answer these, thanks)

Lol..it wasn't me, i'm still here in the US ;)..i'm wondering what the clinical rotation is for?..is it a requirement in order to graduate?..if so, it doesn't matter whether you have the rotation here in the US or PH right? It would depend then on whether the student would take advantage of the opportunity to do the clinical rotation in the US or not.

i'm really rooting for FEU because of its location and other stuff..LOL..but at the same time i also want to do rotation in the US..so my plan of attack is just to apply to any of the schools you mentioned and we'll see how it goes..LOL.. ;)

Lol..it wasn't me, i'm still here in the US ;)..i'm wondering what the clinical rotation is for?..is it a requirement in order to graduate?..if so, it doesn't matter whether you have the rotation here in the US or PH right? It would depend then on whether the student would take advantage of the opportunity to do the clinical rotation in the US or not.

i'm really rooting for FEU because of its location and other stuff..LOL..but at the same time i also want to do rotation in the US..so my plan of attack is just to apply to any of the schools you mentioned and we'll see how it goes..LOL.. ;)

Yea? oops. haha. Anyway to address your question briefly:

-Rotations are required for graduation from med school. The whole point in doing some (or a lot) or rotations in the US is to obtain an LOR from a U.S. attending, which is becoming more and more important in getting into an American Residency program. Also, I've read somewhere lately, that soon most (currently about 1/3) of all U.S. residency programs will require about *at least 48 weeks of rotations in the U.S.

* - don't quote me on this, try to verify it

Yea? oops. haha. Anyway to address your question briefly:

-Rotations are required for graduation from med school. The whole point in doing some (or a lot) or rotations in the US is to obtain an LOR from a U.S. attending, which is becoming more and more important in getting into an American Residency program. Also, I've read somewhere lately, that soon most (currently about 1/3) of all U.S. residency programs will require about *at least 48 weeks of rotations in the U.S.

* - don't quote me on this, try to verify it

hmmm..i see..i didn't know that..means i need to do some research then..ok, thanks for the info ;)

Hey Fatima peepz! Im going to the Philippines for a month. I would like to visit OLFU. Can someone meet me. Excited to enroll in Fatima.

Thank you for your honest input. I think you're right about addressing fundamentals. As for my study plan I intend to read textbooks on the subjects before studying reviewers.

I suggest that you don't go too deep into content review. Reading Schaum's Outlines (and similar books) for the sciences would be more than enough. In my opinion, reading college textbooks for the NMAT would be pretty much of an overkill.

How did you do for the first part of the exam? The visual acuity and abstract reasoning part? Those two parts were pretty hard for me so I really practiced, particularly for the visual acuity section. It took me two takes to kind of, sort of, get through that part.

As what was recommended, I suggest that you buy the MSA NMAT Reviewer. I've also found sites that sell secondhand NMAT reviewers. It would be helpful if you could get a hold to those stuff.

Should you have any more questions, feel free to ask. All the best!