NMS casebook vs. Devirgilio Surgery Case-based clinical review for surgery shelf

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SolarLuminosity

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have read some very positive reviews for the devirgilio book on SDN as well as amazon. I haven't heard anyone compare the two resources and I haven't felt like there have been enough people using devirgilio to make my decision to use it instead of the "outdated" NMS casebook. I will definitely be using Pestana and Uworld as well, but wanted to get a sense for which main book would be best to plow through over the next 8 weeks. Does anyone have some experience with the devirgilio text and what did you think about it? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

the DeVirgilio book has become super popular at my school. everyone uses it and to be honest I even reviewed some chapters for my internal medicine rotation because there is so much gold in there. NMS is not as clinical and goes over a lot of minutiae not needed for the shelf. get the devirg book. you wont regret it.

Reactions: 1 users
I also have heard good things about the book, although some people at my gunner Med school seem to be keeping it under wraps. I have my surgery rotation after winter break so was hoping I could get a head start on a good source during my 3 week break. Thanks for the info!

the nms casebook is pretty outdated (circa 2002, I think), but the trauma section is definitely worth reading.