No alkenes on MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shrami

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it really true that there are absolutely no alkenes tested on the MCAT, or is it just the synthesis part, reactions part or what? I'm wondering. Does it still help to review alkenes anyway?

Members don't see this ad.

It's not exactly true. You're better off knowing everything. Even if they explicitly state "No alkenes", the fact that they test so much carbonyl chemistry implies that it behooves a test-taker to know "about" alkenes. Alklynes are probably not necessary, but it won't hurt.

Review the Topics, but also be able to "read between the lines":

http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/preparing/bstopics.pdf

For example... no alkenes, right? SURE. OK. What about alcohols? Of course you need to know alcohols... they're so important in carbohydrate chemistry. OK fine. So, what happens when you dehydrate an alcohol, catalyzing with sulfuric acid... OOPS... ALKENE LAND!

Good Luck!:luck:

-MSTPbound

Is it really true that there are absolutely no alkenes tested on the MCAT, or is it just the synthesis part, reactions part or what? I'm wondering. Does it still help to review alkenes anyway?

Ther was alkenes on my exam today, but I believe it was explained in the passge.

Members don't see this ad :)

I had a tautomerization related question :)

They even have Benzene related questions, such as which one is actiavted or deactivat4ed etc

I honestly think it's better to take anything the AAMC says about the tests with a grain of salt. I think they tell us that certain topics won't be on the test just to see who really understands the subjects or goes above and beyond in their studying vs. those who study only what is on the test.

Yeah, I had alkenes and benzene on my test today too. Fortunately, I just got out of Orgo II and love organic chemistry, so I wasn't too phased.