No Anatomy and Physiology Class at my School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Live_Laugh_Love

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my school doesn't really offer A&P. Sometimes they have comparative anatomy as one of the biology electives, but not ever semester and to get into that class you need to be a biology major (I am thinking I will be a chemistry major) and submit papers cause the electives fill up quickly. I know some dental schools require A&P and I know it would be helpful on the DAT and in dental school. My school partners with another school down the road like 15 mins away and they offer it there. Do you think it would be worth trying to take it if it all works out with the times of all my classes at my school? Can I take it after I graduate my senior year and have it still count towards the requirements (I know it won't help with the DAT then, but it would still help with dental school)? I want to try research next summer (summer between sophomore and junior year), but would taking A&P then and not doing research be more helpful. What about taking it during the summer between my junior and senior year? Or will I need that summer to study for the DAT then? I didn't really think of taking it this summer until it was too late.

I am also not 100% sure about what I want to minor in yet. I am thinking anthropology and have my first course in the department this fall. If I do want to take A&P during the semester at the school down the road, I might need to give up my room in my schedule for the minor to take A&P. Will not having a minor look bad to dental schools? Would taking A&P with physics and an upper level chemistry class be too difficult?

Sorry for so many questions! Just worried about my school not offering it and I feel like I have no time during the summer due to doing other things (research, jobs, shadowing, ect.). Any suggestions on what to do would be great! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would try to take it somewhere else, im finishing my degree at my current university but I am also enrolled at another one for microbiology over the summer, because they didnt offer it at my school until the fall. that way i could still get the requirement, and graduate on time!

Good quality anatomy classes that are open to anyone are offered through Equine Studies Institute. Go read about them at www.equinestudies.org -- click on "forum" and see the threads describing the dog and horse classes near the top of the Forum homepage. If you are enrolled at an accredited institution, your school will probably be willing to give you credit for taking these classes "outside". The Institute is a think-tank that we founded a number of years ago, precisely because we were aware that nontraditional, alternative-care, and even quite a few "traditional" students in medical, veterinary, and the "para" disciplines often have great difficulty getting a hands-on carcass class. As far as that goes, though, I also have to tell you that over the more than 30 years that we have been offering these classes, we've had a number of licensed veterinarians enroll, too: because it had been years and years since they took anatomy and they just wanted a brush-up. If you have further questions, just write me through the Forum above mentioned. -- Dr. Deb

Members don't see this ad :)
So my school doesn't really offer A&P. Sometimes they have comparative anatomy as one of the biology electives, but not ever semester and to get into that class you need to be a biology major (I am thinking I will be a chemistry major) and submit papers cause the electives fill up quickly. I know some dental schools require A&P and I know it would be helpful on the DAT and in dental school. My school partners with another school down the road like 15 mins away and they offer it there. Do you think it would be worth trying to take it if it all works out with the times of all my classes at my school? Can I take it after I graduate my senior year and have it still count towards the requirements (I know it won't help with the DAT then, but it would still help with dental school)? I want to try research next summer (summer between sophomore and junior year), but would taking A&P then and not doing research be more helpful. What about taking it during the summer between my junior and senior year? Or will I need that summer to study for the DAT then? I didn't really think of taking it this summer until it was too late.

I am also not 100% sure about what I want to minor in yet. I am thinking anthropology and have my first course in the department this fall. If I do want to take A&P during the semester at the school down the road, I might need to give up my room in my schedule for the minor to take A&P. Will not having a minor look bad to dental schools? Would taking A&P with physics and an upper level chemistry class be too difficult?

Sorry for so many questions! Just worried about my school not offering it and I feel like I have no time during the summer due to doing other things (research, jobs, shadowing, ect.). Any suggestions on what to do would be great! Thanks!

"Would taking A&P with physics and an upper level chemistry class be too difficult?"

I'm going to be cliche here and say this: Nothing is too difficult. Dental School is going to be triple of the course-load you're talking about.

I learnt this late in my college years but as long as you put in sincere effort into studying by maximizing your study resources you will do fine. If i knew in undergrad what I know now as a Masters student , I would have ended up with a 3.8 GPA+.

my school has a an p but its rly only for nursing majors. I kinda thought thats how it was everywhere.

but, I took a class called comparative animal physiology, which was by far the most interesting class I took and covered all the info on anatomy and phys on the dat.

also look for morphology courses or physiology. anatomy isnt rly useful without understanding hiw things work. and by understanding hiw they work you kinda learn where they are