no clinical experience at all yet, dont want to volunteer in a hospital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mozart_fan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read about and heard about how to get clinical experience...and I have none yet and I am in my second year at community college (after this year i'll be in CC for two more quarters b/c i did not complete foreign language in high school)....

I wanted to be a pharmacy technician in my state- Washington. I've worked at a mall guest services and am a cashier at Target (which does have a Pharmacy) so i thought that would help me get a pharm tech job. I assumed that it was possible just to take a test and thats it...but its not in that way here. You either have to: go through training by school or work as a "pharmacy assistant," and then take a test to obtain the technician certification.

Anyways, I want to pursue a career as a physician or a Pharm D.
I was a big slacker in high school and my grades sucked. I did volunteer work in a hospital only because i needed the hours to graduate and it was a waste of time...all i did was give people cookies and flowers

I will go out and see if anyone needs a pharmacy assistant (including the Pharmacist where I work -today).

I don't want to volunteer at a hospital...is that a problem for adcoms?
If I was not interested in med school i wouldn't even think about it...

The ec's i am involved with now (and since high school)- I plan to keep...i'm not giving it up to give cookies and flowers to people in a hospital:

*i play keyboard and drums in a church band weekly
*flexible...around 10-15 hours/month maybe less... elders and international students of the local Cambodian Community need help with english skills, i practice with them, sometimes help with resume development, etc...

Members don't see this ad.

Why not work or volunteer in a doctor's office or a clinic...there are other healthcare settings besides hospitals. Maybe you can ask the hospital's volunteer services office if you can go around playing the keyboard and drums for patients, since cookies and flowers aren't your thing. Whatever you do...just get some direct patient contact.

Not worth much...just my opinion.

Make sure you have experience that lets you get a good idea of what a doctor does. This can come from volunteer experience or even experience as a patient, but you do need it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, you can get medical experience lots of ways. Volunteering for a big private hospital is all too likely to suck because they don't NEED volunteers and probably don't want to trust them with anything important due to liability concerns. Try a nonprofit clinic. Try a nursing home. Heck, try getting a job at your local plasma donation center. Medical experience doesn't have to mean candy-striping.