No experience..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rpahuja

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i'm applying to pharmacy school in the 2014-2015 cycle and I've tried, but no pharmacy will hire me in my area because of lack of experience... I do have my certification so thats not the problem. I was just wondering how much that really matters? I am going to try to shadow now that I realized i won't be able to get a tech job but I obviously won't have that much time to do it before submitting the application.

I have a 3.52 gpa (with an upward trend. 4.0 for the last 2 semesters)
and a 91 comp PCAT

So my first question is any advice on getting a LOR from a pharmacist, since I don't work at a pharmacy?

My second question is what do you think my chances are of getting in with no experience? (my first choice is the University of Texas)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So i'm applying to pharmacy school in the 2014-2015 cycle and I've tried, but no pharmacy will hire me in my area because of lack of experience... I do have my certification so thats not the problem. I was just wondering how much that really matters? I am going to try to shadow now that I realized i won't be able to get a tech job but I obviously won't have that much time to do it before submitting the application.

I have a 3.52 gpa (with an upward trend. 4.0 for the last 2 semesters)
and a 91 comp PCAT

So my first question is any advice on getting a LOR from a pharmacist, since I don't work at a pharmacy?

My second question is what do you think my chances are of getting in with no experience? (my first choice is the University of Texas)

some schools do not need a LORs from a pharmacist. A LOR from any of your employers/supervisors would be suffice. So apply to schools like that first.

There is plenty of time from now to next year for you to get a shadow experience and submit a LORs from a pharmacist. Get all the LORs that you can get now first onto your PharmCAS, and add that LOR from pharmacist later.

3.5 GPA and 91 cPCAT is an excellent combo. I do not know about U of Texax, but you sure can get in some good established schools.

Thanks for the reply. But I'm actually applying now (like in the next month) so thats why I was wondering about the experience thing, I'm pretty much out of time. And most the school I want to apply to need a LOR from a pharmacist

When you go to shadow, explain your situation to the pharmacist. He/she will hopefully understand and may ask you questions/get to know you enough to write a letter soon. You could also try volunteering in a hospital pharmacy if that is possible where you live and see if one of the pharmacists there will write a letter last minute.

Reactions: 1 users