No extracurriculars, but high mcat and gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perseverance13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a question regarding the weight of extracurriculars vs the weight of GPA/MCAT. Obviously, medical schools take a hollistic approach when it comes to applications. But, what would be my chances of getting into any medical school (including mid-tier/low-tier public in-state medical schools) if I currently have a 3.92 GPA and an MCAT score of 35, but no outstanding extracurriculars. I just have the basics, volunteering, a little shadowing, community service, and a little research? It seems that every pre-med student has this so I feel like my chances of getting accepted anywhere will be low because it seems that every pre-med student around me is finding the cure for sickle-cell anemia to get accepted somewhere.
Any response would be much appreciated, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I think your chances of acceptance to your state schools is good with those numbers (which are fantastic) and the typical activities, assuming your clinical exposure is good (meaning decent shadowing and clinical volunteering). Numbers get you to the door, and extracurriculars get you through. Your extracurriculars should support your desire to pursue medicine, and if you can make a case for having explored the career and what it entails, then you should be fine.

You can also include any dedicated hobbies on your app.

i think you're fine. #'s tallk more than EC's.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply broadly and you'll be fine. You have plenty of time to add something interesting to the mix, like work in a hospice, nursing home, clinic, Planned Parenthood, or a camp for sick children.

I'm in the same boat as you (4.0, 36) but I applied this cycle to 11 schools in september-early october. So far I have only heard from 2 schools. I have interviews at Dartmouth and Western Michigan. Lot of silence that is for sure. Just to give you a little idea as what to expect. If you apply June 1st and get those secondaries in ASAP I think you should be okay. I'm expecting to get more interviews over the next month....I'll let you know what happens. Do something good over xmas break and next semester to help your ECs.

Ohh okay. Thank you guys so much for your responses. I'm definitely more at ease. And good luck @DaMedDude !! I'm sure you'll do great in the interview!