No Frills Verbal Reasoning Approach

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jumb0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else just read the passage and answer the questions in that order without doing any special method?

A lot of people like to read the questions stems first, "map" the passage, highlight, etc etc...

Personally, these techniques just end up frustrating me and reducing my concentration.

The only way that works for me is to just straight up read the passage and answer the questions, quickly scanning back if I need answer a specific detail question. I just rely on straight reading speed and reading comprehension. I am averaging about a 12 on VR doing this.

What do you do? What do you average?

Members don't see this ad.

I do the same, always reading the passage start to finish before touching the questions. However, there are definitely some subconscious methods involved in active reading that are difficult to communicate, as they have become second nature in our approach to reading comprehension and verbal reasoning after years and years of practice. Everyone has developed their own "special method", which may or may not be useful for the MCAT VR.
Avg. is usually 10-13 for EK101/AAMC FL VR.

I never scored below a ten on practices and I just read the passage, highlight names as I go and big terms, read each option, cross out the obviously bad ones and decide which fits best. I feel like when I try to over think it, I do worse.

I've never really studied for the verbal reasoning part though, I read a lot of books for fun. Wish I spent as much time studying sciences! (haha....)

Is it common to read the questions before tackling the passages?

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here - my AAMC verbal scores have ranged from 10 to 15 with an average of 12.3

I've tried a bunch of different strategies and they all make it waaaaaay worse. Just reading the passage slowly and thoughtfully makes question-answering a breeze; you remember and understand so much more when you take the time to read the passage well instead of all those ridiculous mapping/question-reading/outlining methods.

Same here - my AAMC verbal scores have ranged from 10 to 15 with an average of 12.3

I've tried a bunch of different strategies and they all make it waaaaaay worse. Just reading the passage slowly and thoughtfully makes question-answering a breeze; you remember and understand so much more when you take the time to read the passage well instead of all those ridiculous mapping/question-reading/outlining methods.

Does this mean you don't pause at the end of each paragraph to summarize it, and at the end of the passage to summarize the main point of the passage and connect the paragraphs together? That's kind of what I did and I didn't get the results I wanted. I read slowly to fully understand, then said ok so paragraph 1 said X, paragraph 2 said Y, then at the end I told myself, ok the passage is about rabbits and how they are going extinct, the first paragraph introduced the idea, the second provided evidence, the third paragraph said blah blah. You know what I mean?

Essentially, yes.

I actually skim the questions first to see if they are asking anything strange that I should look out for. Other than that, just read while keeping in mind the main idea of the passage. Then answer the questions in order, going back into the passage to confirm that the answer is correct.

edit: scored a 13 on my VR

Reactions: 1 user
Does this mean you don't pause at the end of each paragraph to summarize it, and at the end of the passage to summarize the main point of the passage and connect the paragraphs together? That's kind of what I did and I didn't get the results I wanted. I read slowly to fully understand, then said ok so paragraph 1 said X, paragraph 2 said Y, then at the end I told myself, ok the passage is about rabbits and how they are going extinct, the first paragraph introduced the idea, the second provided evidence, the third paragraph said blah blah. You know what I mean?

I think I get what you mean, but I have to admit my own approach is even less structured than that. I don't think about anything in particular while I'm reading the passage, or what the point of each paragraph is, I just sorta read the thing and then go for it :laugh:

I think I get what you mean, but I have to admit my own approach is even less structured than that. I don't think about anything in particular while I'm reading the passage, or what the point of each paragraph is, I just sorta read the thing and then go for it :laugh:

Beautiful so verbal must have been a cakewalk for you lol

Beautiful so verbal must have been a cakewalk for you lol

Eh, cakewalk would be generous, but I didn't really study/train for it very hard, that's true. I just finished an MA in philosophy so I got used to reading and analyzing arguments, treatises, essays, etc. Coming to the MCAT verbal section this fresh from philosophy was just lucky timing. Some other guy on here was in law school for a while and switched over to medicine, took the MCAT and destroyed the VR (got a 14); I think it has more to do with whether or not you're used to critical essay reading, and most of us science-background folk aren't. As a non-traditional applicant I consider it simply lucky that I got used to this kinda thing and then decided to come back to the medical track.

My PS/BS scores show my weaknesses though, I never score nearly as well on those.

@TheAnonymous I follow EXACTLY the same strategy as you and end up in the 8-10 range. Everytime I try to change one thing (like read without pausing to summarize in between) , a new problem (or a past problem) arises and my score suffers.
All you people who do the passages without a structured strategy and still score ultra-high, how in the world do you guys do it??!! Do you just follow how the author's argument flows (without remembering details), or do you try to visualize everything mentioned in the passage, or do you just naturally have a really good short-term memory that stores everything after reading once? What kind of info from the passage do you have in mind after you are done reading the passage?
I'm not a voracious reader, but I've pretty much taken intro courses in almost every humanities department: philosophy, theology, literature, theater, art history, history, etc. And I took good notes from everything I read.

@TheAnonymous Do you just follow how the author's argument flows (without remembering details), or do you try to visualize everything mentioned in the passage

YES! That is exactly what I do! I don't have amazing short term memory or anything, but I am able to recall most of the important points of the passage by simply visualizing every sentence as I make my way through the passage while simultaneously developing an understanding of the "big picture". I don't literally stop and think about these things while reading the passage. I just read the passage very intently and do these things automatically at the same time...By the time I have finished reading the passage, I am left with 2 things: a mental "story" of the passage's progression and a super condensed summation of the author's message. With the former, I can answer most of the detail questions. With the latter, I can answer most of the thematic questions. For everything else, I can quickly scan the passage and pinpoint the answer.

YES! That is exactly what I do! I don't have amazing short term memory or anything, but I am able to recall most of the important points of the passage by simply visualizing every sentence as I make my way through the passage while simultaneously developing an understanding of the "big picture". I don't literally stop and think about these things while reading the passage. I just read the passage very intently and do these things automatically at the same time...By the time I have finished reading the passage, I am left with 2 things: a mental "story" of the passage's progression and a super condensed summation of the author's message. With the former, I can answer most of the detail questions. With the latter, I can answer most of the thematic questions. For everything else, I can quickly scan the passage and pinpoint the answer.

haha I wish verbal was like this for me too ! I also try reading and visualizing but then what happens is that I spend too much time (~4.5ish) minutes reading the passage and by the time I get to the questions, I don't have enough time to analyze the questions and break down every single answer choice down and end up making the same number of mistakes I would when I read the passage quickly and dedicate more time to the passage.

I think as @erythrocyte666 mentioned, part of the problem is what I try to take away from the passage....

Maybe we can post a passage here and you would be kind enough to tell us how you would read and get those 2 things you mentioned? :p

Maybe we can post a passage here and you would be kind enough to tell us how you would read and get those 2 things you mentioned? :p

Yeah, go for it! I would be happy to try to demonstrate the application of this technique by breaking down a passage

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, go for it! I would be happy to try to demonstrate the application of this technique by breaking down a passage

Thanks for willing to help out man, really appreciate it.

Is it fine if I post an entire passage here? Should we take it to skype or something so mods don't get upset? :D

Thanks for willing to help out man, really appreciate it.

Is it fine if I post an entire passage here? Should we take it to skype or something so mods don't get upset? :D

I don't think it would be a problem to just post it here. In fact, it would probably be for the best so that everyone can look at the technique and offer feedback. If you are concerned about saving space, You can edit the post you just made (the one I am quoting in this post) and delete what you wrote and paste the passage in its place. I can then edit this post so that it is a response to your passage-post.

1.png

2.png

I'm not sure this will be helpful, but the only way I could think to do this was to simply verbalize my thought process as I go through the passage. The following is what went through my head as I read the passage (~3-3.5 minutes). I did not stop and think these things. I thought them essentially WHILE I was reading the passage. These musings are just a product of the intangible internal mechanisms of reading comprehension that I have personally developed through trial and error. Again, I'm not sure this will be helpful, but here it is. This is what I was thinking:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As I read through the first paragraph, I build the foundation of both my little "storyline" and condensed author's message. I read the first one and a half sentences and I immediately know that this will be an expository piece about the phenomenon of humor. The author begins by explaining some of the common functions of humor that we can all relate to, factoids such as "it makes people like us" and other common-sense things that I don't need to really worry about. It gets more interesting towards the end of the paragraph as the author makes it clear that he believes that there must be some sort of definite adaptive significance to humor.

I quickly read the second paragraph, in which I begin to reduce the story line to this "Laughter is common to all people so it is *probably* genetic, the only perceivable variability being cultural in nature i.e. ancient civilizations made fun of people in politically incorrect ways". With this I strengthen my belief that the author believes in an adaptive significance to humour by incorporating the fact that he goes so far as to suggest it is genetic.

As I read through the third paragraph, it becomes increasingly apparent that this is the real meat of the passage. With the idea of ancient civilizations' ideas of humor fresh in my mind from paragraph 2, I see that the author transitions into paragraph 3 with a continuation of his little history lesson. He tells me that the Greeks believed that everything, including people, is made up of humors, and they laughed at people who had a disproportionate amount of one of the humors and called them a "humorist"...A little etymological lesson. Whatever lol...Then he gets to the real crux of the matter though....the history lesson was a just a little appetizer. This is where my ears perk up, for the author begins categorically organizing the definitions of humor. I am paying very close attention now.

The first one is very rudimentary: Humor as anything that is funny. It's the definition we all know; it is the most ancient definition. I categorize this definition as BASIC. Ok, cool...He then says the second definition pertains to pretty random crap about Old Western stories. I quickly label this as ESOTERIC. Then I move on the last definition, and I see that this is the crown jewel of the passage. The incongruity definition. This is the most current definition that scholars go by and the one that the author clearly believes is the best since he uses it in the very first sentence of the passage. In so many words, the author basically defines this incongruity thing as: Humor is when you expect Y but get Z. Cool. I file this definition as MODERN/BEST.

And then the last paragraph I take to mean..."Yeah so i pretty much believe in the incongruity bit, but just to be complete, I will warn you that it's not as simple as that..it's always changing...yada yada yada.."

OK. So now I have my 2 products that I will use to solve the questions: My little "story line" and my "author's point" :

Story Line: Author's definition of humor -->Common sense info about humor--> Suggestion that humor is an adaptive behavior like animal aggression --> Suggestion that humor is actually genetically determined ---> Humor across culture ---> Definitions of humor: BASIC, ESOTERIC, MODERN/BEST (Incongruity = Author's definition) ---> disclaimer about oversimplification

Author's condensed message: "Everyone laughs, so humor is hard-wired into us, the only difference being cultural. There are a few definitions of humor, but I believe in the modern incongruity theory one"

Armed with these 2 things, I move onto the questions:

1. C
2. D
3. B
4. D
5. A
6. D
7. C

It is getting close to my self-imposed bed-time, so i did not include my thought processes for the answers I chose. If you want me to, I can write out my internal rationalizations for arriving at those answers sometime tomorrow.

Hope this helped. In any case, let me know how I did in terms of the answers :D

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I'm not sure this will be helpful, but the only way I could think to do this was to simply verbalize my thought process as I go through the passage. The following is what went through my head as I read the passage (~3-3.5 minutes). I did not stop and think these things. I thought them essentially WHILE I was reading the passage. These musings are just a product of the intangible internal mechanisms of reading comprehension that I have personally developed through trial and error. Again, I'm not sure this will be helpful, but here it is. This is what I was thinking:

As I read through the first paragraph, I build the foundation of both my little "storyline" and condensed author's message. I read the first one and a half sentences and I immediately know that this will be an expository piece about the phenomenon of humor. The author begins by explaining some of the common functions of humor that we can all relate to, factoids such as "it makes people like us" and other common-sense things that I don't need to really worry about. It gets more interesting towards the end of the paragraph as the author makes it clear that he believes that there must be some sort of definite adaptive significance to humor.

I quickly read the second paragraph, in which I begin to reduce the story line to this "Laughter is common to all people so it is *probably* genetic, the only perceivable variability being cultural in nature i.e. ancient civilizations made fun of people in politically incorrect ways". With this I strengthen my belief that the author believes in an adaptive significance to humour by incorporating the fact that he goes so far as to suggest it is genetic.

As I read through the third paragraph, it becomes increasingly apparent that this is the real meat of the passage. With the idea of ancient civilizations' ideas of humor fresh in my mind from paragraph 2, I see that the author transitions into paragraph 3 with a continuation of his little history lesson. He tells me that the Greeks believed that everything, including people, is made up of humors, and they laughed at people who had a disproportionate amount of one of the humors and called them a "humorist"...A little etymological lesson. Whatever lol...Then he gets to the real crux of the matter though....the history lesson was a just a little appetizer. This is where my ears perk up, for the author begins categorically organizing the definitions of humor. I am paying very close attention now.

The first one is very rudimentary: Humor as anything that is funny. It's the definition we all know; it is the most ancient definition. I categorize this definition as BASIC. Ok, cool...He then says the second definition pertains to pretty random crap about Old Western stories. I quickly label this as ESOTERIC. Then I move on the last definition, and I see that this is the crown jewel of the passage. The incongruity definition. This is the most current definition that scholars go by and the one that the author clearly believes is the best since he uses it in the very first sentence of the passage. In so many words, the author basically defines this incongruity thing as: Humor is when you expect Y but get Z. Cool. I file this definition as MODERN/BEST.

And then the last paragraph I take to mean..."Yeah so i pretty much believe in the incongruity bit, but just to be complete, I will warn you that it's not as simple as that..it's always changing...yada yada yada.."

OK. So now I have my 2 products that I will use to solve the questions: My little "story line" and my "author's point" :

Story Line: Author's definition of humor -->Common sense info about humor--> Suggestion that humor is an adaptive behavior like animal aggression --> Suggestion that humor is actually genetically determined ---> Humor across culture ---> Definitions of humor: BASIC, ESOTERIC, MODERN/BEST (Incongruity = Author's definition) ---> disclaimer about oversimplification

Author's condensed message: "Everyone laughs, so humor is hard-wired into us, the only difference being cultural. There are a few definitions of humor, but I believe in the modern incongruity theory one"

1. C
2. D
3. B
4. D
5. A
6. D
7. C

It is getting close to my self-imposed bed-time, so i did not include my thought processes for the answers I chose. If you want me to, I can write out my internal rationalizations for arriving at those answers sometime tomorrow.

I was cracking up at "A little etymological lesson. Whatever lol" & "the second definition pertains to pretty random crap about Old Western stories" haha.

I found this quite helpful and would love to read your thought process & rationalization for choosing the answers!

1. C
2. D
3. B
4. D
5. A
6. D
7. C

This is awesome, thanks!
As for the Story Line, do you REMEMBER everything and in the order you wrote above? Also, do you pause after reading the passage to recap that Story Line and make a condensed message? And I'm guessing you didn't need to refer back to the passage much while answering.

1. C
2. D
3. B
4. D
5. A
6. D
7. C

Well done man ! You got all the questions correct except for number 2 which is A. (You got 6/7 and I got 3/7, lol no wonder why I'm seeking help)

Your thought process actually helped me a LOT but I think I'm on the same page as you when reading the passage; my main problem is when answering the questions.

I would appreciate if you can also tell us how you derived at the questions!

Thanks a lot for your help.

Anyone else just read the passage and answer the questions in that order without doing any special method?

A lot of people like to read the questions stems first, "map" the passage, highlight, etc etc...

Personally, these techniques just end up frustrating me and reducing my concentration.

The only way that works for me is to just straight up read the passage and answer the questions, quickly scanning back if I need answer a specific detail question. I just rely on straight reading speed and reading comprehension. I am averaging about a 12 on VR doing this.

What do you do? What do you average?
You did exactly what I did to get a 12 on VR. Read the paragraph once, read it well, then go back to scan for anything that you missed if it comes up in a question.

You did exactly what I did to get a 12 on VR. Read the paragraph once, read it well, then go back to scan for anything that you missed if it comes up in a question.

Do you pause after each paragraph or at the end, to summarize everything, etc? Or does it come automatically? And may I ask how long you approximately take to read each passage?

Do you pause after each paragraph or at the end, to summarize everything, etc? Or does it come automatically? And may I ask how long you approximately take to read each passage?
It all came to me naturally. I'm slow reader, so I ran my clock up as far as it would go on the VR section, had like two minutes of time remaining. You're better off slowly reading, thinking about, and understanding the paragraphs than you are flying through them quickly with low comprehension and then having to answer questions with no understanding of the material they are asking you about.

It all came to me naturally. I'm slow reader, so I ran my clock up as far as it would go on the VR section, had like two minutes of time remaining. You're better off slowly reading, thinking about, and understanding the paragraphs than you are flying through them quickly with low comprehension and then having to answer questions with no understanding of the material they are asking you about.

That's exactly what I thought I should do, read slowly (I'm naturally a very fast reader so had to slow my self down by using the highlighter and pausing) and comprehend every single line. Though I ended up spending less time answering the questions (since I knew the materials better), I still ended up getting the same score. I ended up with an 8 in VR and just need a 9...

That's exactly what I thought I should do, read slowly (I'm naturally a very fast reader so had to slow my self down by using the highlighter and pausing) and comprehend every single line. Though I ended up spending less time answering the questions (since I knew the materials better), I still ended up getting the same score. I ended up with an 8 in VR and just need a 9...
Do you read much in your day-to-day life?

Do you read much in your day-to-day life?

I unfortunately don't read much (novels, articles, etc) outside college textbooks and english is my second language though. I tried to make up for it by doing a lot of practice passages and I've spent months and months doing verbal from kaplan/ek/princeton/aamc, etc..

I unfortunately don't read much (novels, articles, etc) outside college textbooks and english is my second language though. I tried to make up for it by doing a lot of practice passages and I've spent months and months doing verbal from kaplan/ek/princeton/aamc, etc..
Ah, the second language bit is probably what's hurting you. I doubt an 8 in VR is going to hold you back if your other scores are solid, honestly. Adcoms often are more forgiving of those with English as a second language.

Reading things that aren't practice passages regularly can really help your performance though, as VR is more about solidly understanding written English than it is about any specific testing strategy.

Just went through the passage + answers on my own to compare what I do to what Jumbo does. Got 'em all right so I'm happy to share my thought process too. I really just read it and then answer the questions with no specific strategy and that's been working out okay. I've mostly been working on being smarter in my answer-choosing, so maybe that would help you, Anonymous!

1. Nothing in the passage says that modern cultures superior, just that they're different, so A is out. B is true, but isn't the primary purpose, so that's out. D is also pretty off-question, so you can cross that off too. C pretty neatly summarizes the message of the passage, so that works out well! I find that you can usually cross a lot of answer choices out by checking whether they directly answer the question.

2. Before looking at the answers, think about the question – the author's explanation, isn't explicitly mentioned in the question, is that cultural difference shape our humor so you approach the questions looking for something that relates to that. A looks pretty good – if cultural differences were actually just genetics, than culture wouldn't be shaping our humor at all because it'd all be genetics. B is not necessarily true, though it's tempting since it is about cultural difference, but absolute statements like that usually need explicit textual support to be right. It's also a very specific example and we're talking about a pretty broad statement. There's nothing about being liked and appreciated in the passage, and it certainly has nothing to do with cultural differences, so C is out. D is also pretty irrelevant to the question/passage. The gladiator thing was to characterize Greeks as a whole, not to characterize their humor.

3. A is totally irrelevant to the question and is just randomly quoting the passage, maybe hoping you'll just choose it because it's familiar. C is also pretty irrelevant. Both B and D address the survival/defense/cavemen thing, but B is definitely more relevant to the quote since D says nothing about humor at all.

4. The question is contrasting modern humor with Greek humor, but choice A isn't a comparison at all and makes no mention of Greece. Cross it out. For answer B, I went back to the passage because I didn't remember that section well and saw that Old West "humor" is described word-for-word as "more specific" not broader. Cross that out too. C is definitely out since the passage spent a good deal of time exploring different definitions of humor, so we clearly don't have a "definitive conception" of what it is. Looking at D (and hoping it's right since I've crossed everything else out), you see immediately that it mentions both modern times and the Greeks, which is a plus. The Greek definition of humor was definitely a bad thing - being a "humorist" meant you had too much bodily fluid (or something) whereas it doesn't have negative connotations at all today. So D sounds good!

5. A sounds pretty good off the bat, but to be sure, I always read all of the answers. The question is about laughter as a cause, not as an effect, so laughter as a symptom of a disease isn't going to support the author, so B is out. C, while probably true, doesn't have anything to do with evolution, or even laugher really. D would actually go against the author, since if no one laughs but still is, well, alive, they must have been fine without laughter as a defense mechanism.

6. "Playful incongruity" was defined as something that goes against what is expected, and is therefore funny to us. For I, while I guess having a monkey is unexpected, the humor doesn't arise from that, the humor is just the commotion. For II, it's definitely humor arising from the unexpected, because when you hear hoofbeats you expect a horse and then see it's just Patsy with some coconuts. That one's in. III also gets its humor from the unexpected – you see a car and assume not many people are in it, but it turns out there are a bunch of them. Hilarious. So D it is.

7. This one's nice and general, really just a reiteration of the thesis. For A, the passage does talk about the intellectual component of humor, but it never says it's the best sort of intellectual challenge and mentions other sorts of challenges. I guess you could extrapolate from the gladiators and execution stuff that humans are brutal, but it's never said that this is a basic human trait and doesn't directly explain how humor would counteract that if it were true. C is pretty much exactly what the first paragraph of the passage is about. D is also not something that was in the passage – it doesn't say anything about funny people being well liked or about people using humor to cope socially.

So I guess the most important thing I've learned is to be careful when reading and always read all answer choices because you can nearly always get to the answer through process of elimination. When you can't eliminate them down to one, go back to the passage and look for the part that discusses that issue, paying special attention to whether phrases of the answer choices are ever used verbatim. Would be curious to see anyone else work through these same questions to compare thought processes!

Reactions: 1 users
Just went through the passage + answers on my own to compare what I do to what Jumbo does. Got 'em all right so I'm happy to share my thought process too. I really just read it and then answer the questions with no specific strategy and that's been working out okay. I've mostly been working on being smarter in my answer-choosing, so maybe that would help you, Anonymous!

1. Nothing in the passage says that modern cultures superior, just that they're different, so A is out. B is true, but isn't the primary purpose, so that's out. D is also pretty off-question, so you can cross that off too. C pretty neatly summarizes the message of the passage, so that works out well! I find that you can usually cross a lot of answer choices out by checking whether they directly answer the question.

2. Before looking at the answers, think about the question – the author's explanation, isn't explicitly mentioned in the question, is that cultural difference shape our humor so you approach the questions looking for something that relates to that. A looks pretty good – if cultural differences were actually just genetics, than culture wouldn't be shaping our humor at all because it'd all be genetics. B is not necessarily true, though it's tempting since it is about cultural difference, but absolute statements like that usually need explicit textual support to be right. It's also a very specific example and we're talking about a pretty broad statement. There's nothing about being liked and appreciated in the passage, and it certainly has nothing to do with cultural differences, so C is out. D is also pretty irrelevant to the question/passage. The gladiator thing was to characterize Greeks as a whole, not to characterize their humor.

3. A is totally irrelevant to the question and is just randomly quoting the passage, maybe hoping you'll just choose it because it's familiar. C is also pretty irrelevant. Both B and D address the survival/defense/cavemen thing, but B is definitely more relevant to the quote since D says nothing about humor at all.

4. The question is contrasting modern humor with Greek humor, but choice A isn't a comparison at all and makes no mention of Greece. Cross it out. For answer B, I went back to the passage because I didn't remember that section well and saw that Old West "humor" is described word-for-word as "more specific" not broader. Cross that out too. C is definitely out since the passage spent a good deal of time exploring different definitions of humor, so we clearly don't have a "definitive conception" of what it is. Looking at D (and hoping it's right since I've crossed everything else out), you see immediately that it mentions both modern times and the Greeks, which is a plus. The Greek definition of humor was definitely a bad thing - being a "humorist" meant you had too much bodily fluid (or something) whereas it doesn't have negative connotations at all today. So D sounds good!

5. A sounds pretty good off the bat, but to be sure, I always read all of the answers. The question is about laughter as a cause, not as an effect, so laughter as a symptom of a disease isn't going to support the author, so B is out. C, while probably true, doesn't have anything to do with evolution, or even laugher really. D would actually go against the author, since if no one laughs but still is, well, alive, they must have been fine without laughter as a defense mechanism.

6. "Playful incongruity" was defined as something that goes against what is expected, and is therefore funny to us. For I, while I guess having a monkey is unexpected, the humor doesn't arise from that, the humor is just the commotion. For II, it's definitely humor arising from the unexpected, because when you hear hoofbeats you expect a horse and then see it's just Patsy with some coconuts. That one's in. III also gets its humor from the unexpected – you see a car and assume not many people are in it, but it turns out there are a bunch of them. Hilarious. So D it is.

7. This one's nice and general, really just a reiteration of the thesis. For A, the passage does talk about the intellectual component of humor, but it never says it's the best sort of intellectual challenge and mentions other sorts of challenges. I guess you could extrapolate from the gladiators and execution stuff that humans are brutal, but it's never said that this is a basic human trait and doesn't directly explain how humor would counteract that if it were true. C is pretty much exactly what the first paragraph of the passage is about. D is also not something that was in the passage – it doesn't say anything about funny people being well liked or about people using humor to cope socially.

So I guess the most important thing I've learned is to be careful when reading and always read all answer choices because you can nearly always get to the answer through process of elimination. When you can't eliminate them down to one, go back to the passage and look for the part that discusses that issue, paying special attention to whether phrases of the answer choices are ever used verbatim. Would be curious to see anyone else work through these same questions to compare thought processes!

This is excellent - really helped me get a better understanding of how you guys approach things.

I'm still curious about #7 though, this is what I thought, I would appreciate your input:

A. Maybe. From the passage: "Laughter comes from humans’ innate need to be intellectually challenged. Although other kinds of “thinking”, like serious thinking, could provide this catalyst, humor probably survives in our intellectual and physical makeup because it stimulates healthy intellectual and physical relief. "

B. (eliminated)

C. I don't see "anxiety" or "tension" anywhere - I eliminated this because I thought I would be bringing in outside information (my personal opinion)

D. Maybe. From the passage: "it allows us to confront fears and taboos in a socially acceptable way by giving us pleasure; it encourages other people to like us"

I don't really see how you found C to be the best answer, so would be great if you can elaborate. The only way I can reach C is since question is asking "one could reasonably conclude", A and D are kind of mention and not a good conclusion, whereas C is a nice conclusion.

That's how I look at things but obviously I'm terrible.

I would appreciate if you can also tell us how you derived at the questions!

1. A) As soon as I see "To argue that modern cultures", I stop reading because I know that this was an expository piece about humor. The author was only interested in culture in as far as it pertained to humor.
B) This one sounds OK, but it seems a bit too narrow in scope.
C) This jumps out at me as clearly the best choice. The verbs "explore" and "discuss" are really true to what the author has done.
D) This one is purely tangential. Doesn't even mention the word "humor"

2. A) Though this answer tempts me, I ultimately fail to choose it because I was under the impression that the author believed that culture was purely separate from physiology...I was under this impression because he says "When differences in what stimulates laughter occur, most likely they stem not from physiology or intellect but from the THIRD ELEMENT, culture." I took this to mean that physiology and culture are completely different elements in the author's eyes, so this answer choice, which implies a degree of overlap, is wrong. Ultimately, it was the word "completely" that threw me off. If it had said "Cultural differences are not genetically determined", then I would have picked this.
B) This is too extreme. Of course we would find some of the same things funny, and the author knows this. He even says we still find Greek comedies funny.
C) This is irrelevent to the topic of culture vs. humor.
D) Going back to what I thought for A, this answer choice seemed to be the most appropriate because it aligned with my belief that the author thought that culture and physiology were completely separate. I thought to myself: "Yeah, they didn't like watching people fight to the death because that is a universal source of humor; they liked it because it was a facet of their unique culture, which was certainly not hard-wired into them from birth"...But I guess I was wrong. I guess the fact that the author believes that basic humor instinct is genetic is enough to make this answer false. In fact, it makes a lot of sense in hindsight. If they had no genetically encoded humor capacity, they would not have found gladiator fight funny REGARDLESS of their culture.

3. A) Does not refer to the same section of the passage to which this question stem is relevant (Paragraph 1)
B) Maybe...Let's keep reading...
C) No. The author does say this, but it is a silly answer given how inconsequential it was to the author's discussion. Plus, what the heck does that have to do with hunting...Little if anything.
D) This sounds good, but so does (B)...Let's refer back to Paragraph 1...At the very end, he says "Laughter appears to be vital for our species' psychological, if not physical, SURVIVAL". Ok, this must be it.

4. A) It would be a huge leap to say that MOST forms of humor are now of this type. Yes, the author believes the Incongruity Theory of humor has many merits, but it would be a gross assumption to say he believes that most types of humor fall in this category.
B) There really is nothing in the passage that provides a means of quantitatively comparing ancient Greek v. Old Western humor. They are not meant to be compared like that.
C) Absolutely not. Remember in the last paragraph when the author gave us that disclaimer about how humor is always changing, etc etc...
D) I've eliminated the first three choices, so I am going into this answer expecting it to be right...Sure enough, it makes sense given what I remember from the passage. The Greeks used "humorist" as a sort of pejorative for someone with a disproportionate amount of one of the humors, whereas now being a "humorist" is clearly a good thing; it means someone who is funny, and the author even says that we act funny sometimes to make people like us.

5. A) This sounds like it fits the bill pretty perfectly. It is, in fact, a case of laughter having an evolutionary root in defense attempts in response to "real physical threats". Sounds perfect. Let's just check the rest to be sure.
B) Nope...The disease could have a billion different mechanisms, none of which necessarily speak to any sort of evolutionary link between laughter and a defense reflex. It is a huge leap to assume that the laughter before death is aimed at fighting the disease. And if it were, that would be very strange indeed. We simply don't know.
C) This has nothing to do with defense reflex. This is more about culture.
D) They don't have laughter, but we are not told anything else about them. Perhaps if they gave us some more info about the selective pressures of these islanders, then maybe...just maybe...this answer would have a shot at seeming reasonable. It falls short.

6. I read "I" and quickly eliminate it as one of the answers. This is clearly a case of "slapstick" comedy, not playful incongruity. It's just the stooges behaving like idiots on a train. It's what we would expect from them. Therefore, eliminate answe choices A and B, since they contain "I".

"II" They expect a horse but get a guy banging coconuts together. Check.
"III" They expect one person to come out of the car since it is so tiny, but a lot of people come out. Check.

So "II" and "III" are both right. The answer must be D.

7. A) The author definitely thinks that humor is a good way of stimulating ourselves intellectually, but he also says there are other ways...He mentions "serious thinking" as a way of accomplishing the same thing, and he never explicitly says which one is the strongest, so we can't say which one is the best.
B) No. This is a sappy feel-good answer that misses the mark of the author's message by a lot.
C) This jumps out as the right answer. The author clearly said in the first paragraph that humor survives because it "stimulates healthy intellectual and physical RELIEF" i.e. it eases physical tension and the more intellectual ailments of emotional tension/ anxiety.
D) It does make us more likeable, but ELIMINATING social fears and taboos? That is a huge over-extension.

As for the Story Line, do you REMEMBER everything and in the order you wrote above? Also, do you pause after reading the passage to recap that Story Line and make a condensed message? And I'm guessing you didn't need to refer back to the passage much while answering.

I remember everything I wrote in the story line and condensed message as I have them written + some miscellaneous details. This pretty much constitutes my working memory. I don't pause to recap this at any point; it simply forms gradually as I am making my way through the passage. By the time I finish reading the last sentence, these thoughts have been fully developed and are ready for me to use on the questions. I did refer back to the passage a couple times as you can see above, but I try to avoid it as much as possible.

This is excellent - really helped me get a better understanding of how you guys approach things.

I'm still curious about #7 though, this is what I thought, I would appreciate your input:

A. Maybe. From the passage: "Laughter comes from humans’ innate need to be intellectually challenged. Although other kinds of “thinking”, like serious thinking, could provide this catalyst, humor probably survives in our intellectual and physical makeup because it stimulates healthy intellectual and physical relief. "

B. (eliminated)

C. I don't see "anxiety" or "tension" anywhere - I eliminated this because I thought I would be bringing in outside information (my personal opinion)

D. Maybe. From the passage: "it allows us to confront fears and taboos in a socially acceptable way by giving us pleasure; it encourages other people to like us"

I don't really see how you found C to be the best answer, so would be great if you can elaborate. The only way I can reach C is since question is asking "one could reasonably conclude", A and D are kind of mention and not a good conclusion, whereas C is a nice conclusion.

That's how I look at things but obviously I'm terrible.
For 7, A can't be right because it says laughter is the BEST challenge, not just one of many, which the passage never claims. Also, you know the answer will have to something that helps explain why it would stick around evolutionarily. Neither intellectual challenge nor being well liked are really things we talk about in terms of evolutionary fitness, so that should cast some doubt on those choices. Anxiety and tension are both physical things that would be evolutionarily disadvantageous, and though they aren't mentioned explicitly, the first paragraph talks about how laughter brings physical relief. Reducing tension and anxiety seem like the ways that laughter would do that, which didn't feel like too much of a leap to me. I get your hesitation, though, and when I went back and read the first paragraph it definitely was less clear than I had remembered when I answered the question, but that had been the overall message I'd taken from paragraph one (that laughter is good for you physically) so intuitively it felt correct. It seems like more of a stretch to me to think that the fact that laughter helps people through social situations would confer an evolutionary advantage that would enable the trait to stick around.