No humanities LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

circulus vitios

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize this is entirely school dependent, but how screwed am I if I don't have a humanities LOR? I took all but a few humanities classes at a community college. I was planning on asking an English professor at university for a letter of recommendation, but I just came across news that he died in November. My options are to ask another professor for a LOR -- except the class I took with her was an online class and I've never met her in person -- or I can ask the community college instructors for a LOR...but they won't remember me and they aren't PhDs, if that matters.

Members don't see this ad.

I realize this is entirely school dependent, but how screwed am I if I don't have a humanities LOR? I took all but a few humanities classes at a community college. I was planning on asking an English professor at university for a letter of recommendation, but I just came across news that he died in November. My options are to ask another professor for a LOR -- except the class I took with her was an online class and I've never met her in person -- or I can ask the community college instructors for a LOR...but they won't remember me and they aren't PhDs, if that matters.

I was in a very similar situation. I ended up applying without a humanities LOR. I think only school that I applied to had an issue about this.

I was in a very similar situation. I ended up applying without a humanities LOR. I think only school that I applied to had an issue about this.

My only concern is I'll only have two science LORs and a physician shadowing LOR. Maybe it will be worth my time to get a letter from a community college instructor because I'm sure some schools will be rigid on their LOR requirements?

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess better to ask a CC professor than none? I actually wish it wasn't somewhat taboo to ask a CC professor, or else I'd have like 5 amazing LORs.

My only concern is I'll only have two science LORs and a physician shadowing LOR. Maybe it will be worth my time to get a letter from a community college instructor because I'm sure some schools will be rigid on their LOR requirements?

Yeah, definitely try and get the letter. It's better to have an extra LOR than to be short a LOR .

Two of my science LORs were from CC professors.

Am I the only one that didn't equate "humanities LOR" with "non-science LOR?"

I think it's like you said circulus, it's school dependent and the importance of this depends on where you're applying. If you're applying to Jefferson vs a school that doesn't require certain letters, for example. I wouldn't ask the online course professor, I'd go with one of the CC instructors. One of my best letters will be from a long-time instructor who has a Master's and no Ph.D.; I don't expect anyone to judge the value of her opinion on me based on her academic credentials.

non-science does not automatically mean "humanities". The science letters are generally meant to be biology, chemistry, physics, math so the non-science letter can be expanded to economics, sociology, psychology, anthropology, and the other social sciences, as well as English, foreign languages, fine arts, performing arts, music, history, art history, theater, journalism, ethnic studies, etc etc.

non-science does not automatically mean "humanities". The science letters are generally meant to be biology, chemistry, physics, math so the non-science letter can be expanded to economics, sociology, psychology, anthropology, and the other social sciences, as well as English, foreign languages, fine arts, performing arts, music, history, art history, theater, journalism, ethnic studies, etc etc.

Right. It wasn't my first thought that circulus meant non-science when he titled the thread "humanities."

Oh, I didn't realize this. Still, I took psychology, sociology, economics, history, and art history classes at community college.

I guess better to ask a CC professor than none? I actually wish it wasn't somewhat taboo to ask a CC professor, or else I'd have like 5 amazing LORs.

Id say still get it. All of mine are from a university but if the humanities are from a CC i dont see why it would hurt.

I had a similar problem at one school. I asked, and got permission to send in a third science letter instead. You can always ask the school, they tend to be pretty responsive.

I am just curious on the timeline in which you ask for the LOR, are all these letters from recent professors? or do you go back and contact professors that you have taken a year or 2 prior? Thanks for any info and pardon my ignorance, stilling trying to get my plan in order.