No interview invite yet, should I call/email to express my interest?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I submitted on-time (7/17, secondaries by the end of August) and I really was looking to interview at a school I have yet to hear back from.

Academically, I'm clearly in their range. Got decent ECs as well.

As interview season is coming to a close, is appropriate/helpful to contact an admissions office to express interest? (I'm not talking about a "Letter of Intent")

Has anyone done this and had a positive experience?

Thanks so much :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

So I submitted on-time (7/17, secondaries by the end of August) and I really was looking to interview at a school I have yet to hear back from.

As interview season is coming to a close, is appropriate/helpful to contact an admissions office to express interest? (I'm not talking about a "Letter of Intent")

Send one. No harm in trying.

Interview season is only coming to close for those early applicants. People will be interviewing from now til March-ish. I applied around the same time and have only gotten one II and one rejection, waiting on a bunch of schools to review my secondaries. Don't give up hope.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to check in with schools to make sure they didn't forget to send you some important info.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm planning on sending to schools that have put me on hold, like GWU. Just a question, should there be some kind of update or is expressing interest sufficient?

I have 3 rejections, no IIs. :( I'm getting a bit nervous this cycle already. I did sent a letter of interest to one school, waiting on some more EC and volunteer stuff that I hope to start soon so I can send out letters of update...

Hey guys,

Depends on the school- check the school specific thread- by now someone will have mentioned whether they're receptive to LOIs- I was complete in July as well and just got an interview at a school to whom I sent two LOIs, one in August and one a week ago.

Hey guys,

I sent a hybrid interest / update (have more stuff going on) to a bunch of schools and so far I've gotten 1 II out of it. Just make sure they 'accept' these letters... off the top of my head, a few that do not are Rush, Albany, Rosalind, MSU CHM, USC.

It can't hurt you IMO just make sure there aren't any TYPOS ;)

I sent a hybrid interest / update (have more stuff going on) to a bunch of schools and so far I've gotten 1 II out of it. Just make sure they 'accept' these letters... off the top of my head, a few that do not are Rush, Albany, Rosalind, MSU CHM, USC.

It can't hurt you IMO just make sure there aren't any TYPOS ;)

I agree with this, also if you happen to be traveling anytime during the cycle near schools you applied to send an "In The Area Notification," this snagged me two interviews this cycle. Some schools are receptive others not so much. Good luck and remember the interview season is not ending as of right now.