No Interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grenth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got this email today for University of Kansas.

"Thank you for your application to the Counseling Psychology PhD program. Your file is complete for review purposes. Once the EPSY admissions committee has completed their review, a recommendation (to admit or deny) will be forwarded to the Office of Graduate Studies, where a final decision will be made. Applicants will then receive an official notification of the application decision by email."

This reads to me like based on application alone they will admit or deny, not just offer interviews. This seems very atypical. Has anyone seen something like this at KU or other schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I received an admission offer from a program without interviewing. They had an open house for people who received offers, but it was non-evaluative as decisions had already been made.

I received an admission offer from a program without interviewing. They had an open house for people who received offers, but it was non-evaluative as decisions had already been made.
Thank you. I'd be thrilled to not have to pay for more flights/interview accommodations, so if I look good on paper it could be a great situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got this email today for University of Kansas.

"Thank you for your application to the Counseling Psychology PhD program. Your file is complete for review purposes. Once the EPSY admissions committee has completed their review, a recommendation (to admit or deny) will be forwarded to the Office of Graduate Studies, where a final decision will be made. Applicants will then receive an official notification of the application decision by email."

This reads to me like based on application alone they will admit or deny, not just offer interviews. This seems very atypical. Has anyone seen something like this at KU or other schools?
From their website:

"Admissions Committee will select approximately thirty candidates to be interviewed by the faculty and current students. Applicants may choose between an on-campus interview in-person or a Skype or other media interview."

Doesn't seem to fit with the info in the email you received, unless "completed their review" includes "conducted an interview." At least they offer Skype as a documented option.

Thanks for the responses. The school confirmed what ClinicalABA said. Apparently several other programs, but not the PhD in the EPSY dept do not use interviews, hence the wording in the email. If I get offered an interview it be a tough call about Skype or an expensive but maybe better in person interview, hopefully I get the chance to make that decision.