No invites yet. Need help figuring out why.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pk62281

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I really need some help here. I applied to 19 schools. 1 rejection and 0 invites. My stats are
23AA/21TS/26PAT
bio20/chem21/ochem23/RC23/QR26
oGPA:3.31 sGPA:3.35 BCP:3.15 with a strong upward trend with the last 20 hours all BCP and 4.0.
I'm a nontrad with an engineering degree and have been working as an engineer.
Seriously, I really should have gotten something by now. I applied to the "easier" schools like USC, Tufts, Temple, BU, and NYU. I even applied to not yet accredited schools like MWU-IL and Western.

I think there's a red flag on my app that I don't know about.

Request
I put my whole AADSAS app on a word file. For those of you who think he or she may have a good eye for this kind of stuff; would you be willing to look over my AADSAS app and give me advice? I can email the word file to you if you PM your email. You wouldn't be able to see my LORs, but lets just assume they are decent.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I really need some help here. I applied to 19 schools. 1 rejection and 0 invites. My stats are
23AA/21TS/26PAT
oGPA:3.31 sGPA:3.31 BCP:3.15 with a strong upward trend with the last 20 hours all BCP and 4.0.
Seriously, I really should have gotten something by now. I applied to the "easier" schools like USC, Tufts, Temple, BU, and NYU. I even applied to not yet accredited schools like MWU-IL and Western.

Request
I put my whole AADSAS app on a word file. For those of you who think he or she may have a good eye for this kind of stuff; would you be willing to look over my AADSAS app and give me advice? I can email the word file to you if you PM your email. You wouldn't be able to see my LORs, but lets just assume they are decent.

Thanks.

Explain the red flag, btw your DAT scores are awesome.

Members don't see this ad :)
Academic probations or other legal matters.
I dont think that look at any background checks until the candidate is selected so it has to be something in the app itself. Thats my guess, but maybe wrong.

I'll take a look if you really want. It seems like out of 19 schools someone should bite. :confused:

23AA/21TS/26PAT
oGPA:3.31 sGPA:3.31 BCP:3.15 with a strong upward trend with the last 20 hours all BCP and 4.0.

Request

Thanks.

if you want, i can take a look at it and hopefully help ya out... Your DAT is VERY good and GPA seems OK so this is kind of odd that you don't have any invites..it might even be a LOR as well or maybe something you put in ur app.. feel free to send PM

Last edited:
Bad LOR? missing prereq?

It sucks that you have no interviews after spending so much money and all that hard work...PM me if you want and I can take a look.

Yeah, that seems kinda ludicrous your scores are good. when did you submit? Anything in your app that would turn schools away?

pm me too ill look at it

I gave it a look. Check your e-mail. I hope all goes well for you. I wouldn't mind having you in my dental class (if I even get in!)

Members don't see this ad :)
I told myself before the DAT that if I didn't get 20 and up, I wouldn't apply. Now if I had gotten a 20, I really wouldn't have stood a chance.

I told myself before the DAT that if I didn't get 20 and up, I wouldn't apply. Now if I had gotten a 20, I really wouldn't have stood a chance.

Don't lose hope just yet! When did you submit your application? Have any of the schools contacted you saying your application was complete? Have you checked your AADSAS status at each of the designated schools?

Hmm... it's not your GPAs or DAT scores that are the 'red flags' since your DAT scores are excellent and your GPAs are reasonable. So it's either something on your AADSAS application, LORs, or secondary application. Do you have a criminal background? Were your LOR writers reliable in writing strong LORs? How well were your secondary applications? Do you have a good amount of dental shadowing/volunteering and other EC activities?

When did you complete everything?

When did you submit your AADSAS and start receiving application complete files from schools? Because unless all of that was submitted by July and your files were all complete by July, I don't think you should be worrying too much yet.

When did you submit your AADSAS and start receiving application complete files from schools? Because unless all of that was submitted by July and your files were all complete by July, I don't think you should be worrying too much yet.

7/18 was my mailing date. All my secondaries were submitted within a reasonable amount of time.

USC barely started giving out interviews. while NYU has been giving out interviews some time. based on posts here and on predents. nearly everyone submitted their app earlier than you.

Of course this assumes the schools are going in order.

I think if you are really really worried, you should contact some schools and even though you haven't been rejected, you can explain your situation. Who knows maybe a school will look at your app again and give you an interview. Better to start working on improving your app now then waste a year.

I'll take a look. But if I can remember correctly, I think I read a thread by you about wanting to change careers to dentistry but without a history of shadowing? This could be the red flag. Anyway, I'll send you a PM.

I'll take a look. But if I can remember correctly, I think I read a thread by you about wanting to change careers to dentistry but without a history of shadowing? This could be the red flag. Anyway, I'll send you a PM.

I have 60 hours of shadowing. I guess I could get more.

I have 60 hours of shadowing. I guess I could get more.

I really think that your best bet is to contact schools and see what is going on.

60 hours of shadowing seems like it should be sufficient and would be a drop in the bucket with a 23 AA. Good luck and keep us updated!!!

I really think that your best bet is to contact schools and see what is going on.

60 hours of shadowing seems like it should be sufficient and would be a drop in the bucket with a 23 AA. Good luck and keep us updated!!!

Do schools welcome random phone calls from candidates wondering why they haven't received an interview yet? I'm wondering if I should start calling some schools lol.

Do schools welcome random phone calls from candidates wondering why they haven't received an interview yet? I'm wondering if I should start calling some schools lol.

If you word the question a little more tastefully, then yes. Maybe a more appropriate call would be to check on the status of your application or secondary app?

From what i have read, it depends on the school. Some are very helpful, some don't give a ****.

If you word the question a little more tastefully, then yes. Maybe a more appropriate call would be to check on the status of your application or secondary app?

From what i have read, it depends on the school. Some are very helpful, some don't give a ****.

I would think that if you called to check on the status of your app or secondary app, then some secretary would basically confirm generically that your app is complete and under review. This wouldn't accomplish anything.

Not to be mean, but I have better ECs and a better background (and higher gpa but lower DAT scores) and haven't heard anything too. So just hold on, they might get back to you. Sometimes schools just have their own way of doing things and maybe the over qualification might be giving us some trouble (they might be thinking why the career switch). Just have to wait till the interview where you can explain them and express your passion/dedication for dentistry but of course we need the interview first. Just my thought.

Last edited:
I would think that if you called to check on the status of your app or secondary app, then some secretary would basically confirm generically that your app is complete and under review. This wouldn't accomplish anything.

Well sometimes things fall through the cracks... maybe the schools didn't receive DAT scores, LORs, transcripts, etc. I have a buddy who didn't fill out Western's secondary app correct and needed to submit a new one. Maybe the secondary fee check bounced or was processed incorrectly. There are a lot of things that could go wrong that don't show up on AADSAS.

Nothing is hurt by making a call and it may just accomplish what the OP needs.

Well sometimes things fall through the cracks... maybe the schools didn't receive DAT scores, LORs, transcripts, etc. I have a buddy who didn't fill out Western's secondary app correct and needed to submit a new one. Maybe the secondary fee check bounced or was processed incorrectly. There are a lot of things that could go wrong that don't show up on AADSAS.

Nothing is hurt by making a call and it may just accomplish what the OP needs.
+1 on that. Too many little things- it's not uncommon for one segment in the chain to screw up.
IMO schools Hate it when you ask them why I haven't gotten an interview yet, etc, but they are more than happy to tell u if ur app is complete. I confirmed with all my schools to make sure nothing got lost in the mail.

Thanks everyone for your input. For those of you who took the time to look at my application, I'll respond to you guys with my comments and a thank you soon. I really appreciate you taking the time out to give me advice.

I think I am getting a better idea why I haven't heard from any schools. It is starting to make sense. It's a combination of the following.
1. low BCP gpa or lower GPA in general
2. Lack of upper level Biology science courses
3. Didn't take a full load for my post bac
4. Did not fill out planned course work. I still needed to take some prereqs when I submitted and did not put in orgo lab, biochem, and english in planned coursework.
5. Old volunteer experience
7. Applied to schools that are out of my reach or not strategic

My engineering degree and work experience do not count for much or anything at all at for most of the schools I talk to. I was wrong in thinking that it would make up for some of the deficiencies in my application. Maybe at a few schools it can, but it's hard to tell.

All in all, even with a 23DAT and my background, I'm probably still considered a medium level applicant. In which case, most schools will not give me priority for an interview invite. I was probably auto-filtered based on gpa alone at first anyway.

I guess I can only wait, hope for the best, and improve my application in case of another cycle.

Last edited:
Did the schools tell you that work experience counts little?
Thanks everyone for your input. For those of you who took the time to look at my application, I'll respond to you guys with my comments and a thank you soon. I really appreciate you taking the time out to give me advice.

I think I am getting a better idea why I haven't heard from any schools. It is starting to make sense. It's a combination of the following.
4. Did not fill out planned course work. I still needed to take some prereqs when I submitted and did not put in orgo lab, biochem, and english in planned coursework.

My engineering degree and work experience do not count for much or anything at all at for most of the schools I talk to. I was wrong in thinking that it would make up for some of the deficiencies in my application. Maybe at a few schools it can, but it's hard to tell.

All in all, even with a 23DAT and my background, I'm probably still considered a medium level applicant. In which case, most schools will not give me priority for an interview invite. I was probably auto-filtered based on gpa alone at first anyway.

I guess I can only wait, hope for the best, and improve my application in case of another cycle.

Did the schools tell you that work experience counts little?

I'm not sure if it counts for a little or a lot, but no school I talked to seemed that impressed by it.

In my head, my work experience has helped me in sooooooo many ways. I know I will become a much better dentist and a dental student because of the stuff I learned and went through while working as an engineer.

The reality is, I have to communicate to the schools that I have the maturity, discipline, and aptitude to do well in dental school. I haven't necessarily done that with my GPA, and having work experience doesn't make up for it (to them at least and that's what matters). To be honest though, I am a way better student now than I ever was in undergrad, and I know it's because of working.

I'm not sure if it counts for a little or a lot, but no school I talked to seemed that impressed by it.

In my head, my work experience has helped me in sooooooo many ways. I know I will become a much better dentist and a dental student because of the stuff I learned and went through while working as an engineer.

The reality is, I have to communicate to the schools that I have the maturity, discipline, and aptitude to do well in dental school. I haven't necessarily done that with my GPA, and having work experience doesn't make up for it (to them at least and that's what matters). To be honest though, I am a way better student now than I ever was in undergrad, and I know it's because of working.

I understand. Since the schools didn't explicitly tell you, don't feel too bad guessing that they didn't care. I also agree that work teaches a lot. They PAY you so the expectation is a lot higher than volunteer jobs.
Good luck! Fellow engineer here :)

that's not a good thing to leave out. If you don't meet minimum requirements, then that's that as far as they're concerned.

For example, I emailed Dean Healy of VCU inquiring about my admission status. He said physics did not show up on my official transcript. I explained I took it as AP in high school, which VCU is ok with. But if I would not have spoken directly to them, from their end, I didn't meet minimum requirements so they didn't waste their time on my application. I think you're in that situation with most schools with a lack of organic chem/biochem/physics. Definitely start thinking about direct contact with schools.

Best of luck to you. I think if they see the big picture, they'll see you're a strong applicant.

What type of engineer are you? Just curious.
I'm a structural engineer with same DAT lower GPA, no interview at all.
I submitted 7/18 but application was completed during the first week of September somehow.
When did you submit yours? When did the schools send you the completion confirmation?

that's not a good thing to leave out. If you don't meet minimum requirements, then that's that as far as they're concerned.

For example, I emailed Dean Healy of VCU inquiring about my admission status. He said physics did not show up on my official transcript. I explained I took it as AP in high school, which VCU is ok with. But if I would not have spoken directly to them, from their end, I didn't meet minimum requirements so they didn't waste their time on my application. I think you're in that situation with most schools with a lack of organic chem/biochem/physics. Definitely start thinking about direct contact with schools.
frown.gif

Best of luck to you. I think if they see the big picture, they'll see you're a strong applicant.

But what about if you have mentioned that you would be taking them in your planned coursework? Like I have not taken few of the prereqs myself and applying stating that I will be taking them during the course of this year. Does it affect the application in anyway.

But what about if you have mentioned that you would be taking them in your planned coursework? Like I have not taken few of the prereqs myself and applying stating that I will be taking them during the course of this year. Does it affect the application in anyway.

i mentioned the fact that I needed to take necessary prereqs like Micro and Physics II and I have 3 interviews. I think its more complicated than just leaving out prereqs (although thats probably not a good idea.) the OP seems to have all around problems i.e. low GPAs and etc. So I think his case is isolated.