No job for nuclear medicine physician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nucmed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is sad but true, I amabout to finish my residency in one of the good program and not even one job available across the country. I am very sad and devastated by this and can't even concentrate to read for my board exam which is comming up soon. My program director did not say thing about the job market at the time of interviewing me for this position and now has nothing to say! So I am left with an uncertain future. There should be a commette to oversee residents job availability and do not allow program to take residensts when there is no job availability for nuc med or to let them continue with diagnostic radiology so they can survive ! :(

Any other residents here with the same problem??

Members don't see this ad.

Residency is just a place to be trained. Nobody guarantees job placement after finishing.
Everybody knows that there are very few if any jobs for pure Nucs.
More than many times I have heard from Nucs residents that they are in a good program. It means nothing. Everybody knows that Nucs residency goes unfilled even in some of the biggest academic programs.
I still do not understand what you mean by "Continue" as radiology. You can reapply for radiology now. If you had been really interested in rads you would have applied 3 years ago. If you want to survive you can "continue" as family medicine.
The general trend of radiology is "organ_based" subspecialization and not modality-based. MRI fellowship which was very popular 10-15 years ago, is obsolete these days. With the advent of multi-modality imaging like PET-CT, pure Nucs is useless. A purely Nucs trained doctor is under-qualified to read a PET-CT.

Last edited:
And I think this topic is nothing new. On this forum there are plenty posts on this.

Members don't see this ad :)
one of the program director duty is to assist his residents findging a job, that by itself means when he interview the candidates, he should let them know about the job market facts. he did not explain it to me and I didnt know about it at all. They should not take pure nuc med residents when they know there is no job for them.

It is not the job of the PD to explain the job market to interviewees. Before you applied to nuclear med, you should have done your own research. Most students try to find out as much as they can about a particular specialty before deciding whether they wish to pursue it.

Agree. He didn't do his homework. Or he might have done it, but he didn't believe it.
It is no secret. Everybody knows.
There is no guarantee to have a job if you do a certain specialty.
I think they have to close all NM residencies. In our department we have both radiology and solo NM faculty. The solo NM ones are horrible clinically.

Agree. He didn't do his homework. Or he might have done it, but he didn't believe it.
It is no secret. Everybody knows.
There is no guarantee to have a job if you do a certain specialty.
I think they have to close all NM residencies. In our department we have both radiology and solo NM faculty. The solo NM ones are horrible clinically.

I agree, the job situation for NM only trained MDs is not an easy one, however, there are always NM positions for the few top NM people. These are usually trained and work at the top Radiology/NM places. If the "solo NM" MDs in your department are not very good clinically, it may reflect more of a deficit at your department/institution than a problem of NM specialty as a whole.

Nope. It is not the deficit of our department.

The solo NM doctors are incompetent. Even for reading a bone scan, you have to constantly compare it to X-ray, CT , MR. Most NM doctors only read the reports of those studies. There are more than once a day during my NM rotation that I have to to go back to the abdominal CT the patient had 2 month ago and correlate mild increase uptake on bone scan with any subtle abnormality that was overlooked.

When it comes to PET-CT the solo NM doctors are very incompetent. I think they have to void their license to read PET studies. Many NM docs claim that the CT part is for localization, but like it or not, these days there are much more details in CT part than PET part.

My final verdict: NM is another modality out of many modalities in radiology and it is one of the simplest one if you are a radiologist. It does not need a separate residency. having a separate NM residency is equal to having a separate US residency. It is non-sense. I don't care what was the convention 30 years ago, but in year 2012 solo NM doctors are not qualified enough to read many NM studies including PET. If you think an MSK attending can not read a bone scan or a Body attending can not read a body PET you are delusional.
Also 3 years of residency for a modality that can be learned in less than a year is wasting time and money. They have to close it.

Last edited:
This will probably come across as a naïve question, but what are the options for a residency trained NM physician if there are no real jobs out there? Military? Lab/research? Another residency? (not sure how doing two residencies works...)

This will probably come across as a naïve question, but what are the options for a residency trained NM physician if there are no real jobs out there? Military? Lab/research? Another residency? (not sure how doing two residencies works...)

Clinical wise there is no demand for Solo NM doctor, however it is not the case for research. If you do high end research and make an outstanding CV, you will be hired in top academic centers for research or combo research and clinical work.
If you love academics and you are ready to spend even a few years after residency doing research and making a name for yourself you will be fine.

Yes, radiologists always look at Nuclear Medicine Physicians like giraffes at ponies. But I still prefer most of Nuclear studies to be read by Nuclear Medicine physicians. I have never seen a good report of a MAG3 renography written by radiologists. They often don't even look at the curves. I don't think radiologists are trained to treat the patients with thyroid malignancies and benign thyroid diseases. I don't think they know anything about bone pain palliation with radioisotopes or treatment of lymphoma with radiolabeled monoclonal antibodies. I don't think radiologists are willing to spend time consulting and treating all these patients.
It is not true that Nuclear Medicine Physicians are under qualified to read PET/CT. First of all CT imaging became a part of NM training long ago. Besides, CT is not very difficult part of radiology to learn.
Anywhere where radiologists are taking over Nuclear Medicine the quality of service and number of procedures are going down.
But in current economic situation neither hospitals nor private offices cannot afford solo NM physician.
So my sympathy to the author and try to find a second residency while you are young.

Yes, radiologists always look at Nuclear Medicine Physicians like giraffes at ponies. But I still prefer most of Nuclear studies to be read by Nuclear Medicine physicians. I have never seen a good report of a MAG3 renography written by radiologists. They often don't even look at the curves. I don't think radiologists are trained to treat the patients with thyroid malignancies and benign thyroid diseases. I don't think they know anything about bone pain palliation with radioisotopes or treatment of lymphoma with radiolabeled monoclonal antibodies. I don't think radiologists are willing to spend time consulting and treating all these patients.
It is not true that Nuclear Medicine Physicians are under qualified to read PET/CT. First of all CT imaging became a part of NM training long ago. Besides, CT is not very difficult part of radiology to learn.
Anywhere where radiologists are taking over Nuclear Medicine the quality of service and number of procedures are going down.
But in current economic situation neither hospitals nor private offices cannot afford solo NM physician.
So my sympathy to the author and try to find a second residency while you are young.

If you think CT is easy to read, you do not know what are you talking about. I don't have anything to say. From your perspective reading a bone scan is very very hard and need 4 years of training, but you can master CT with 1-2 rotations.

Anyway, radiologists are reading PET-CT in a very large scale and it has worked well.

No, bone scan is not very difficult to read. Of course CT is more difficult, but there is nothing in CT that a person with medical education cannot learn. Beside 1-2 rotations there are books and on-line courses and a lot of other ways to master your skills. I know a lot of NM physicians whom I would trust more in their PET/CT reports than radiologists. The problem with radiologists they have a very short rotation in Nucs which they never take seriously. They see only a small portion of it. They don't get a concept of functional imaging.
Maybe you are smarter than the other, Shark. What would you say about these two reports I just got from radiologists trying to read Nucs:
1. Whole body I131 scan. History: 44 year old female. Status post total thyroidectomy for papillary thyroid cancer. Impression: There is two foci of radioiodine uptake in the neck. These may represent residual metastatic thyroid cancer in the lymph nodes or normal thyroid tissue. Correlation with CT scan with contrast.
What is wrong with this report, Shark?
2. MAG3 study. Impression: There is substantial retention of tracer in the right renal pelvis consistent with hydronephrosis. No hydronephrosis in the left renal pelvis.
What is missing in this report?

I agree that NM residencies have to be closed. So these unfortunate residents do not end up unemployed after all their training. The main idea - radiologists after residency are not competent to read the entire spectrum of Nuclear studies. It requires at least 1 year of dedicated NM fellowship.
The funny thing - if you type in google "nuclear medicine physician jobs" - the first thing to come up is this topic "No jobs for nuclear medicine physician". :) :(

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
"Forever, nuclear medicine has been treated as the poor stepchild of radiology. Until recently, about 80% of nuclear medicine was controlled by part-time radiologists who usually assigned a GED tech to do the nuclear medicine. The physician just countersigned whatever the tech diagnosed. This still left 20%, and since neither discipline controlled the patient flow, nuclear medicine doctors were able to fend for themselves.
Radiology should have embraced nuclear medicine, but short-sightedness on both sides prevented this. As a result, nonimaging physicians, such as cardiologists, have latched onto the fact that full-time practitioners were not needed, and if a radiologist can countersign a tech's report, why can't they?
Now even the 20% market share that nuclear medicine physicians had is gone. There are no jobs for nuclear medicine physicians. Recently, a large medical group contacted me to set up a nuclear medicine lab. But before I could even interview for the position, I was notified that they had decided to hire a cardiologist who, they stated, could also do nuclear. Most physicians do not know the difference between a board-certified nuclear medicine physician and a GED tech. And they really do not care.
Unfortunately, what has happened to nuclear medicine, which was aided by the radiology community, may be a forecast of what is to come for all of radiology. If it is perceived that only the images are important and that any physician can overread for the tech, the future is not bright. In order to stop what has happened to nuclear medicine and potentially all of radiology, jobs must be created for full-time nuclear medicine physicians. If that requires additional specialized training, I am sure nuclear physicians would do it. Without such identity, nuclear medicine as a discipline will be lost."
-Maynard Freeman, M.D.
Texas Molecular Imaging Consultants, Houston, TX

"Forever, nuclear medicine has been treated as the poor stepchild of radiology. Until recently, about 80% of nuclear medicine was controlled by part-time radiologists who usually assigned a GED tech to do the nuclear medicine. The physician just countersigned whatever the tech diagnosed. This still left 20%, and since neither discipline controlled the patient flow, nuclear medicine doctors were able to fend for themselves.
Radiology should have embraced nuclear medicine, but short-sightedness on both sides prevented this. As a result, nonimaging physicians, such as cardiologists, have latched onto the fact that full-time practitioners were not needed, and if a radiologist can countersign a tech's report, why can't they?
Now even the 20% market share that nuclear medicine physicians had is gone. There are no jobs for nuclear medicine physicians. Recently, a large medical group contacted me to set up a nuclear medicine lab. But before I could even interview for the position, I was notified that they had decided to hire a cardiologist who, they stated, could also do nuclear. Most physicians do not know the difference between a board-certified nuclear medicine physician and a GED tech. And they really do not care.
Unfortunately, what has happened to nuclear medicine, which was aided by the radiology community, may be a forecast of what is to come for all of radiology. If it is perceived that only the images are important and that any physician can overread for the tech, the future is not bright. In order to stop what has happened to nuclear medicine and potentially all of radiology, jobs must be created for full-time nuclear medicine physicians. If that requires additional specialized training, I am sure nuclear physicians would do it. Without such identity, nuclear medicine as a discipline will be lost."
-Maynard Freeman, M.D.
Texas Molecular Imaging Consultants, Houston, TX

I don't understand what are you arguing about. Nucs medicine is another modality on top of many others that we do. MRI is more functional than CT. It does not mean that we have to open a separate MRI residency. In fact, MRI fellowships are becoming obsolete there days.

Other than some parts of US, never ever techs give me a diagnosis or report to co-sign. And you are right. That is the natural outcome of every field who co-signs the tech report. That is the main reason echo and OB US is done by other groups.

Radiology have already embraced Nuclear medicine. I don't know what are you talking about.

But more importantly, I never ever want a Nucs doctor read my PET-CT. Simply, they are incompetent. CT is not easy. You can learn Nucs medicine in 4 rotations and some journals, but you can not learn CT in 1-2 rotations and some journals.

The thing that you do not understand and want to ignore, is the fact that making a final diagnosis is the final decision by all imaging modalities and history. The correct report is the one that describes the findings and in IMPRESSION part makes the final conclusion by comparing all the data that is there. Thanks to EMR era, these days we have history in hand. The days that I do PET-CT, there are many many times that I make my final diagnosis by correlating MRI spine of a year ago with CT abdomen of 6 months ago with current study with X-ray of 1 months ago with MRI brain of the same day. This is the right way to practice it and pure nucs are not capable of it.

"...there is nothing in CT that a person with medical education cannot learn."

Are there things in nuclear medicine that are so incomprehensible that only a select few within the world of medicine can even begin to comprehend them?

I have no doubt that a nuclear medicine trained physician can read a nuclear medicine study better than a radiologist a majority of the time, but you have to look at the return on investment at some point. Are the returns so substantial that it warrants hiring someone with all that extra training or is someone that can ready 80+% of it comfortably and do a whole bunch of other things a more practical hire?

From the business perspective, I'd hire the person that can do more and net more for the group or hospital. If there are studies that are too advanced for them, I'd send the patient to the..wait for it...academic centers where the elite nuclear medicine research guys lurk. It sucks, but that is just how stuff works. It isn't uncommon for people to choose convenience and multi-functionality over one thing very very well. The cost to benefit just isn't there.

"...there is nothing in CT that a person with medical education cannot learn."

Are there things in nuclear medicine that are so incomprehensible that only a select few within the world of medicine can even begin to comprehend them?

I have no doubt that a nuclear medicine trained physician can read a nuclear medicine study better than a radiologist a majority of the time, but you have to look at the return on investment at some point. Are the returns so substantial that it warrants hiring someone with all that extra training or is someone that can ready 80+% of it comfortably and do a whole bunch of other things a more practical hire?

From the business perspective, I'd hire the person that can do more and net more for the group or hospital. If there are studies that are too advanced for them, I'd send the patient to the..wait for it...academic centers where the elite nuclear medicine research guys lurk. It sucks, but that is just how stuff works. It isn't uncommon for people to choose convenience and multi-functionality over one thing very very well. The cost to benefit just isn't there.

I don't agree with this part. As an MSK guy, I definitely can read bone scans better than Nucs doc. I can definitely read PET-CT better than a Nucs guy. The key is, I compare multiple modalities to each other. A skill that a Nucs doctor does not have. As a radiologist, you are comparing the available modalities all the time.

You should not read a Hip MRI without having a hip Xray. You should not read a V/Q scan without having a CXR. You should not read a bone scan without having a bone Xray. You should not read a lumbar spine MRI without having Xray. Does this happen in true world esp pp? No, but it should be. If you look at V/Q scan PIOPED guidelines, the first step is always CXR. In fact, in many cases you should not do V/Q scan if the CXR is abnormal.

There are some studies of Nucs that are done once in a while. Even big academic centers do 1-2 of them every week. So an average radiologist in pp or Nucs doctor in pp, lose their skill after 5-10 years of practice because they don't see such study on day to day basis. Nucs doctors in academics constantly argue that radiologists in community are incompetent to read those studies. They are right. But Nucs physicians in pp are also incompetent. How often do you think an average community hospital does Octreotide scan?

He was talking about MAG-3 scan. How often do you think an average community hospital does such study? If you don't have renal transplant service, very few if any.

Agree. That's life. I feel very sorry for Nuclear Medicine residents realizing they will never have a chance to apply their knowledge. If they are lucky they can find a second residency. There are also a lot of Nuclear Medicine doctors with more than 10 year experience loosing their jobs at this time. And it seems they just have to look for a job outside medicine. There is no residency for them.

Last edited:
Shark. What would you say about these two reports I just got from radiologists trying to read Nucs:
1. Whole body I131 scan. History: 44 year old female. Status post total thyroidectomy for papillary thyroid cancer. Impression: There is two foci of radioiodine uptake in the neck. These may represent residual metastatic thyroid cancer in the lymph nodes or normal thyroid tissue. Correlation with CT scan with contrast.
2. MAG3 study. Impression: There is substantial retention of tracer in the right renal pelvis consistent with hydronephrosis. No hydronephrosis in the left renal pelvis.
What is missing in this report?
What do you think, Shark?

I never give comment on a report without looking at the images and the whole context myself. For example on MAG-3 he did not talk about post Lasix phase of study and the excretion curves. But, still he may be right. He may have looked at them and came to the conclusion of hydronephrosis, but did not put in his report. It is not the best practice, but after all, he is not a primary school child writing a report to his teacher. He is a doctor who is asked to solve the problem and not make a nice report.

In pp, nobody reads the report body. The just want one world: yes or not. Here the clinical question was whether there was hydro or not. I suppose he looked at the excretion curve post lasix and came to this conclusion.

I does not take 3 years to teach someone how to read a MAG-3 scan. It needs at most a week. In our pp, we do it 1-2 per week. It is mostly read by one radiologist who did a combined Body- Nucs fellowship. If he is busy, some younger people like me read it.

The MSK people read bone scans in our group. We do lots of them because oncologists like it. And we correlate it with MR, CT or any other imaging modality. If we think it needs biopsy, we do it ourselves after talking with the referring doctor. The same for PET-CT. If we see sth in the lung or liver, we offer to biopsy it. At the same time, we read the brain MR and give the final imaging staging to the oncologists.

We can not hire a Nucs doctor to read at most two MAG-3 scans a week for us and yet be incompetent reading bone scans and PET-CTs. Anyway, we have a Nucs fellowship trained member in our group.

I personally believe they have to combine Nucs into each discipline of radiology. For example, PET-CT to body. Bone scan to MSK. Renal and thyroid to Body. V/Q and cardiac to chest. It is done in many places. Many body fellowships have PET-CT integrated.

Good Luck.

But, still he may be right. He may have looked at them and came to the conclusion of hydronephrosis, but did not put in his report.He is a doctor who is asked to solve the problem and not make a nice report.
His report said "substantial retention of tracer in the right pelvis consistent with hydronephrosis", but he did not solve the problem. I knew the patient had hydronephrosis. I saw it on her CT and US. That is why I sent her for a MAG3 Renal scan. Renal scan was read by a general radiologist and he did not answer any questions that internist or nephrologist has, ordering MAG study. What are they?

You also did not tell me what was wrong with I131 scan report.

Yes, radiologists are capable to learn Nucs in 1 year fellowship. The problem is they don't go there. So we have what we have - meaningless reports from most of the radiologists reading Nucs.

The financial aspect is understandable. Dr. MossHop explained it clearly. But quality is going down. Why your group cannot ask some Nuclear Medicine Physician to read your MAG3 or thyroid scans remotely?

Good Luck

Last edited:
His report said "substantial retention of tracer in the right pelvis consistent with hydronephrosis", but he did not solve the problem. I knew the patient had hydronephrosis. I saw it on her CT and US. That is why I sent her for a MAG3 Renal scan. Renal scan was read by a general radiologist and he did not answer any questions that internist or nephrologist has, ordering MAG study. What are they?

You also did not tell me what was wrong with I131 scan report.

Yes, radiologists are capable to learn Nucs in 1 year fellowship. The problem is they don't go there. So we have what we have - meaningless reports from most of the radiologists reading Nucs.

The financial aspect is understandable. Dr. MossHop explained it clearly. But quality is going down. Why your group cannot ask some Nuclear Medicine Physician to read your MAG3 or thyroid scans remotely?

Good Luck

1- Nope, radiologists are capable of learning Nucs in 4 months. It is more than enough to get good at 95% of the Nucs. The concept of having fellowship training for everything belongs only to academics . Otherwise, no Hospitalist should exist because all pneumonia should go to ID doctor. No cardiologist should read echo, unless he has done imaging fellowship. No surgeon should do appendectomy unless he has abdominal fellowship. No radiologist should read Brain MR, unless he does fellowship.

2- Because we have Nucs trained radiologist who reads Nucs studies in addition to Prostate MRI, MRCP, Gynecology MRI, OB US, CT abd/pelvis, PET-CT, US, Renal MRI, CT-IVP, Chest CT, cardiac MRI, head CT, MRA. Also he does tons of biopsies and cover ED when someone is sick.

3- I think if we read on site oursevles, the quality will be much higher than having the best Nucs doc read it remotely. There are always issues that needs someone on site to solve. The first lesson of imaging: You need to check Techs and all the equipment yourself if you want quality and you need to talk to referring doctors in person face to face. Otherwise, no matter how good you are, the quality will go down the drain. It includes all modalities from X-ray to MR to Nucs.

... radiologists are capable of learning Nucs in 4 months. It is more than enough to get good at 95% of the Nucs..
1. Whole body I131 scan. History: 44 year old female. Status post total thyroidectomy for papillary thyroid cancer. Impression: There are two foci of radioiodine uptake in the neck. These may represent residual metastatic thyroid cancer in the lymph nodes or normal thyroid tissue. Correlation with CT scan with contrast.
What is missing in this report? What information a referring physician needed from a renal scan ordered for a patient with a known hydronephrosis?

Last edited:
I never give comment on a report without looking at the whole context myself. But in your first case it is not clear to me whether the uptake is in the thyroid bed or within the neck outside the thyroid as they are two different sites. The former can be residual normal thyroid vs residual cancer. The latter is a metastatic site. These are different.
In your MAG-3 he did not talk about obstruction vs non-obstruction. As I said before, I assume he has looked at the post lasix curves and came to the conclusion of non-obstruction.

All of these are true if the studies have been done in correct way. For example in the case of thyroid I need to know the time of surgery, whether the patient was off the thyroid medications and ....

Now I think print these two reports and take them to medical administrators. They will close all radiology programs and let Nucs departments read CT, MR, US and X-ray. After all, you can master each of them by 1-2 months of rotation and also reading some journals. The only thing that can not be learned is bone scan and MAG-3 scan.

Last edited:
The point I am trying to prove is not that radiologists cannot learn Nuclear Medicine. They can. But they don't even try. Your comments about the thyroid and MAG3 scans just show you are not qualified to read them. That's all.

Last edited:
The point I am trying to prove is not that radiologists cannot learn Nuclear Medicine. They can. But they don't even try. Your comments about the thyroid and MAD3 scans just show you are not qualified to read them. That's all.

Oh, boy. Go and find a second residency for yourself. You are not in a place to judge my qualifications.

See. My point is proven. Radiologists don't want to learn.

See. My point is proven. Radiologists don't want to learn.

Some do, some don't. Meaning some radiologists have more of an interest in NM than others. Just like some radiologists have more interest in MSK than others. My brother is a radiologist who did a fellowship in NM. Like with most groups of substantial size, he tends to read the NM stuff where someone with more training and interest in NM is helpful.

What you don't seem to get is that there, for all practical purposes, there is no such thing as a 'nuclear medicine' specialty. The residency needs to be closed....not because I feel bad for all the nm residents currently and recent grads(they made their own beds and in most cases had few other options), but because as a taxpayer I am offended that CMS dollars still go to those slots....what a waste.

And the idea that there should be a 'transition' program for NM people to slide into radiology residencies is the most absurd thing I have ever heard of. That is something radiology would never go for, as they didn't want any of these applicants in the first place when they were going through the match. They certainly don't want them now over new american grads.

After reading this forum, I'm distraught. I have just been offered a residency in NM, but now am having second thoughts. In my interview, they did ask me about what I would do after residency in light of 'the situation'. That prompted me to do some research. I take it the general feeling is to not take it up? It's probably worse here because I work in an under-resourced country...

IMG here...looking for a residency before applying to Radiation Oncology

In some countries there are a combined RadOnc/NuclearMedicine program, IMO I rather go Rad Onc alone "on the rocks" . However, objectively speaking they do overlap in many circumstances. My ultimate goal is getting into RadOnc but today is very difficult since has become a very competitive field, therefore I would have to get first into another residency to strengthen my application and then go for RadOnc .

Would you recommend me NM for this instance ??? Or it's better the IM / Rad Onc combination ?! What other options would you do ?

Thanks

Oh, boy. Go and find a second residency for yourself. You are not in a place to judge my qualifications.

hahaa coz u have such low qualification, no one wants to judge them.

Last edited:
shark 2000, it seems ur are an absolute idiot. U cant read thyroid scans and MAG3 scans, and u claim u know nuc medicine. I bet u cant even properly report a CT scan. Btw, i am from nuc med and have one full year training in PET-CT and challenge u on any given day to report a case and let a top radio consultant compare ur report with mine, u looser. Ppl like you have false inflated ego even when they know from inside that are duffers, hence they say they dont need to learn and ppl are not in place to judge them, because they dont have ability to learn. Btw, did shark come to ur house or ur mum went into the sea???? HAHAHAHA

shark 2000, it seems ur are an absolute idiot. U cant read thyroid scans and MAG3 scans, and u claim u know nuc medicine. I bet u cant even properly report a CT scan. Btw, i am from nuc med and have one full year training in PET-CT and challenge u on any given day to report a case and let a top radio consultant compare ur report with mine, u looser. Ppl like you have false inflated ego even when they know from inside that are duffers, hence they say they dont need to learn and ppl are not in place to judge them, because they dont have ability to learn. Btw, did shark come to ur house or ur mum went into the sea???? HAHAHAHA

You are nothing bust a stupid jerk. You are a bi?ch working as a typist in Nucs department despite spending most of your life in training. Go and beg for another year of fellowship loser.

Status
Not open for further replies.