NO MORE MCAT spots left for 2014???!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMade

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just checked and there's none left for the year of 2014 - Jan 2015 for my state (Florida) and I'm freaking out.

There was spots left for January couple weeks back and I didn't register because I was waiting for something earlier to open up. I didn't want to just take it in Jan my first time only to not do well and having to restudy to take the new MCAT. Now the old MCAT I have been studying for couple weeks now I won't be able to take?

I'm screwed! I wanted to apply next year hoping I would have a satisfied MCAT score by then.

Do you guys know from experience if spots open up? Do some students drop test spots down the road? Should I just keep studying and hope a spot opens?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm guessing it would be even less chance since this is the last time to take old mcat so students are scrambling to take it this year.

I just checked and there's none left for the year of 2014 - Jan 2015 for my state (Florida) and I'm freaking out.

There was spots left for January couple weeks back and I didn't register because I was waiting for something earlier to open up. I didn't want to just take it in Jan my first time only to not do well and having to restudy to take the new MCAT. Now the old MCAT I have been studying for couple weeks now I won't be able to take?

I'm screwed! I wanted to apply next year hoping I would have a satisfied MCAT score by then.

Do you guys know from experience if spots open up? Do some students drop test spots down the road? Should I just keep studying and hope a spot opens?

Sometimes spots open up a week or two before the test date. Just chronically check every date anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I can try checking once the scores get released since some people drop after they get the score they want

ODWFwrt.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Sometimes spots open up a week or two before the test date. Just chronically check every date anyway.

Thank you for the encouraging information. I guess I already knew that but just like every premed student that come on the boards we look for validation and confirmation from others on information we already know.

Please more people reply and tell me I'm going to be okay.

Someone hold me.

Do you know someone in another state you could visit to take it? ie maybe look for a more rural test site away from major schools or something.

Do you know someone in another state you could visit to take it? ie maybe look for a more rural test site away from major schools or something.

Thanks for the reply. That's not an option for me as I can't miss work and school. Also financially I'm not in the position to do so. I don't think I would perform very well having to fly or drive to another state.

I know spots usually open up because I have seen it happen, but considering this is the last time for the old mcat, most people are going to try to take it and with ONLY 2 Oct, 1 Nov, and 5 Jan dates the chances are slimmer than usual.

If the date you want isn't available, it's advisable to sign up for another date and THEN wait around to see if someone drops on the day you want. That way you have a date scheduled to fall back on.

At this point, all you can do is keep checking, or make some sacrifices and look at surrounding states. If nothing opens up, you have until April 2015 to study the psych/soc stuff for the new MCAT.

Oh my gosh…my heart stopped for a second because I thought you meant there were absolutely no more old MCAT exam spots left in the entire USA...

Oh my gosh…my heart stopped for a second because I thought you meant there were absolutely no more old MCAT exam spots left in the entire USA...

May not be far from true. Better grab one if you want one.

why is everyone so against of taking the 2015 MCAT?

Because if you are retaking it or have already started studying for the old version, it is quite a hassle to have to study even more material

Members don't see this ad :)

I think that it's the lack of study material/practice tests for the new material. It's also longer, so it hurts people with bad attention spans.

The thing with January seats is not many people will drop the date because you can't reschedule for the old mcat after January. So might as well just take it. I guarantee you though that more seats are going to be gone because of this thread.

I know you said you don't have the money, but at this point I'd register for any spot you can get (the closer to you the better, obviously). As the previous poster mentioned, people are going to be less and less likely to chicken out and reschedule because these are the last few chances. Nab one and figure it out (and maybe get lucky and be able to switch) rather than regretting not signing up forever. Ask relatives for a loan, babysit, do whatever you have to do to get the extra gas money.

I know you said you don't have the money, but at this point I'd register for any spot you can get (the closer to you the better, obviously). As the previous poster mentioned, people are going to be less and less likely to chicken out and reschedule because these are the last few chances. Nab one and figure it out (and maybe get lucky and be able to switch) rather than regretting not signing up forever. Ask relatives for a loan, babysit, do whatever you have to do to get the extra gas money.

+1
If a spot never opens, you may regret it so do what you can now before it is too late.

My state (Arizona) has no more. My friend is trying to retake, and he had to register for one in New Mexico.

If you have to fly to another state, then fly to another state. If I were you I would register in another state, then check online for your state at least 3x a day and if a spot opens up, change your registration. When I did this last year, on multiple occasions (kept changing my test date), spots opened up frequently but were taken very quickly.

Thank GOD for this post. Two weeks ago there was a plethora of seats. This morning, nearly all of them were taken. I didn't get my preferred date for 1/8, but I'm counting my lucky stars that I got a 1/13 test date.

Thank you!