No need to worry about Medical School anymore.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Michael

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The combined threats from the Black Holes and Y2k lead me to believe that there is no hope for mankind. I am going to go buy some Crack and some Heroin and enjoy the little time that we have left. THE END IS NIGH.

Shouldn't that be "The End is High"???

------------------
-PB (Western Univ./COMP '04)

"Never give in, never give in,
never, never, never, never..."

-Sir Winston Churchill, 1944

Members don't see this ad :)
Why does someone want to do such experiment? Want to prove that Creation did happen?

If that is the reason behind, no need to perform the lethal procedure. Simply turn to the first chapter of Genesis in the Bible will be very sufficient.

[This message has been edited by Henry (edited September 17, 1999).]

Awe come on...Yeah, there is an inherent risk to anything and everything we do. There were significant risks to individuals and all of mankind every time we have pushed the technological envelope. At one time, scientists were convinced speeds in excess of 30mph were fatal, the Earth was flat, flight was impossible, evil and potentially fatal, that the cross-bow would be the demise of man-kind, as would the invention of electricity, gun-powder, and the Gatlin gun. People have always been afriad of what they don't understand or comprehend. This is the basis for urban legends [drying poodle in the microwave], sources of panic [the '33 broadcast of the Orsen Wells classic Martian Invasion] and conspiracy theorists [the Hale-Bop comet people who all committed suicide].

I'm not saying there is no risk involved...just maybe blown a little out of proportion. Afterall, if the blackhole eats the Earth [smile, it could be Godzilla or Mothra], those scientists will also perish. Then, where's the grandure in the accomplishment?

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

The risks involved in this particular project are almost non-existent. Everyday, nuclear collisions take place as cosmic rays hit our atmosphere. These collisions have higher energies than those produced by the RHIC, so if something could happen, it already would have. RHIC cannot produce energies large enough to create a strong gravitational field. More good can come from this project than bad.

So you're telling me that I can bang a few atoms of gold together an create a black hole? Very cool!

Hey, watch out for that guy that will take out your kidney's and leave you in a bathtub full of ice too!

smile.gif

I plan to do research at Brookhaven, and they haven't informed me of doing any black hole experiments? If they're planning to kill me, and the rest of humanity I am sure they would have put that in the job description....
They seem like really nice folks.
Toran
Keep on laughing

A friend of mine is involved with this experiment.

Apparently the physicists there joke about whether they will get their Nobel prizes before they destroy the world.

Nice, huh?
smile.gif