No physics or orgo 2, how screwed am I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

artvandelay786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did well in prereqs and ochem 1. Mcat is in 3.5 months and im taking a tpr course and doing the sn2ed schedule.

Is no ochem2 and physics a problem? Planning on going through all of khan academy physics and ochem in the next few days. Any advice??

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, pretty dumb to take the MCAT without physics 1 and 2. MCAT without O.Chem 2 might be survivable as it is unlikely to get more than 4-5 questions o.chem 2 related on the real test.

Khan academy is useless. Way too basic.

EDIT: What the guy above me makes more sense. There's actually more information than might be possible to handle.

Members don't see this ad :)
So far about 8-10 hrs/day.

I've heard the mcat physics is relatively simple and that once you have the basics down, you can focus on the passages. Can anyone confirm?

Did well in prereqs and ochem 1. Mcat is in 3.5 months and im taking a tpr course and doing the sn2ed schedule.

Is no ochem2 and physics a problem? Planning on going through all of khan academy physics and ochem in the next few days. Any advice??

Personally I am terrified of Physics.. (im taking Phys I this fall). I wouldnt take the MCAT without have taken the course but if you dedicate ALOT of time to it and possibly find a tutor that can help with concepts you dont understand.. you could probably do ok.

Again, you may need to give this section a considerable amount of time. Good Luck!

i don't think it's pretty dumb...

many people prepare for the test who have been out of school for a bit of time, some even years. others, like me, slept through physics, took orgo as a freshman, etc. i didn't even remember what a nucleophile was...but that obviously wasn't any issue after reading a chapter in EK or TPR.

3.5 months is plenty of time if you know how to study efficiently (which means always doing passages after each chapter to ensure you actually understand it, try the TPR workbook, EK1001s, etc.). as far as the basics- in part, yes. they aren't going to test you about all crazy specifics, you won't have to do the quadratic or calc in physics or other stuff you'd have to do in a undergrad course. most of the battle is knowing your stuff - which you can do with some heavy content review for 1.5 months, but the remaining part, which still is a huge deal, is learning the ins-and-outs of the test and how to attack each passage. after your content review, do everything AAMC 1.5 months before the test, fix weaknesses, and you'll be fine.

in retrospect, i think my time spent with khan was a waste. the videos are way too long, yet too basic and not worth your time. check out a couple of free chad videos. you can watch them on higher speeds, he says things like pka your mom and uses other crazy examples. if i had to redo my content review phase again, i would have thrown out TBR, TPR, and EK and would have gone with him (while keeping the TBR and TPR for passages).

and don't do 8.5-10 hrs a day, you'll go nuts. have a tough schedule like SN2ed, which is pretty ambitious, and stick to it. goodluck!

Really you know the answer best..Can you learn it?

If you haven't checked out Chad's videos yet send me a message and I will give you a link.

I think that even seeing the material once in a prereq class (even if you slept through it) will help more than seeing it the 1st time in MCAT study materials.

My philosophy for the MCAT is know the material on a more difficult level for the prereq classes well. Then MCAT studying should be a refresher and more focused upon learning the tricks and tips to save time.

I had a friend who tried this. She was pretty unsuccessful and gave up her dream. Do your prereqs first. If you can consistently get 31+ on your pretest then ignore the advice above.

Physics was the one subject that I remembered the most, and I still ended up spending a lot of time studying it for the MCAT. I'd highly advise against taking this test without having taken the course. Orgo 2 I'd say isn't entirely necessary.

It can be done, I hadn't taken Physics in 3 years and BS'ed my way through it to begin with. So I was basically starting from scratch. Orgo 2 you can probably learn most stuff through the review books anyways as long as you understand the basics.

But Its not recommended, why not just wait and finish your pre reqs?

If you choose to do it, just make sure to take your content review very seriously and finish it with plenty of time to go back and practice.