no post-interview communication from programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zipps999

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are quite a few threads saying that people have gotten post-interview communication along the lines of "we're ranking you highly" etc - should i be worried if I haven't received communication of that type? I interviewed at several mid-level and strong pediatrics programs and feel objectively that my interviews went well overall. A few programs did say they do not, as a rule, send any type of post-interview note, but it makes me nervous I haven't heard from anywhere when it seems like a lot of people are getting contacted by programs around now!

Members don't see this ad.

I know there are quite a few threads saying that people have gotten post-interview communication along the lines of "we're ranking you highly" etc - should i be worried if I haven't received communication of that type? I interviewed at several mid-level and strong pediatrics programs and feel objectively that my interviews went well overall. A few programs did say they do not, as a rule, send any type of post-interview note, but it makes me nervous I haven't heard from anywhere when it seems like a lot of people are getting contacted by programs around now!

No. I received a handwritten note from the PD of one of the programs I applied to. I didn't match there by their choice. I heard nothing from the program I matched at.

Reactions: 1 user
Still though, I never got anything like that from a program. Nothing like being a botttom dweller!

Still though, I never got anything like that from a program. Nothing like being a botttom dweller!

Relax. Not receiving post-interview communication does not mean ANYTHING. Receiving "we are ranking you highly" messages also don't mean ANYTHING. Many programs send nothing, and many programs send the same message to everyone they interviewed. Since there's no way for you to know, don't spend life energy worrying about where (or whether) a program is going to rank you. Think about all of the factors that are important to you for selecting a program and rank the places you visited according to your personal priorities. Do not rank a program if you know you wouldn't be happy there. Decide to be delighted with the result wherever you match.

Reactions: 1 users
Relax. Not receiving post-interview communication does not mean ANYTHING. Receiving "we are ranking you highly" messages also don't mean ANYTHING. Many programs send nothing, and many programs send the same message to everyone they interviewed. Since there's no way for you to know, don't spend life energy worrying about where (or whether) a program is going to rank you. Think about all of the factors that are important to you for selecting a program and rank the places you visited according to your personal priorities. Do not rank a program if you know you wouldn't be happy there. Decide to be delighted with the result wherever you match.

That was awhile ago but still would have been nice to have some false hope at that time... but seriously I was a bottom dweller and my interviewers would let me know. Funny how I see them now and we are considered colleagues in the field.

I would told that I was going to be "ranked highly" by a few program directors on my interview. I heard nothing from the PD of the program I matched until he welcomed me to his program after the rules came out. I think that most think that 1) it's a waste of time, and 2) puts you at risk of a match violation.

Relax. Not receiving post-interview communication does not mean ANYTHING. Receiving "we are ranking you highly" messages also don't mean ANYTHING. Many programs send nothing, and many programs send the same message to everyone they interviewed. Since there's no way for you to know, tdon't spend life energy worrying about where (or whether) a program is going to rank you. Think about all of the factors that are important to you for selecting a program and rank the places you visited according to your personal priorities. Do not rank a program if you know you wouldn't be happy there. Decide to be delighted with the result wherever you match.

I'm not applying for peds but I know for sure one of the programs I interviewed at keeps an active list of their top candidates and these candidates are actively receiving messages and gifts. The resident told us this so I'm sure they weren't lying.

I'm sure most programs get so many qualified candidates that if they receive anyone in their top 100-200 they'd be happy (so they don't bother sending messages)

Last edited:
Ahh yes, the arms race of email communication. We don't routinely contact applicants afterwards, unless there's a question about your application. So, honestly, no news is good news. Every year we ask people who were ranked high enough to match but chose to go elsewhere why they did so, and we got a few responses of "well, I didn't hear from you and heard from other programs, so decided to go somewhere else". So the next year we agonized about exactly what to send to people -- "Loved meeting you" or "ranking you highly" or "would love to have you with us next year", and what did any of this mean. We sent out emails, and ended up filling at basically the same spot. We're back to no emails. The IM community is discussing a "no communication after interview" ban, right now it's voluntary and some programs have signed up. But there's always an exception for a question, and anyone can make up a question.

Reactions: 5 users
Thanks for your thoughts, makes me feel more reassured!

So bottom line is, my only "I'll be glad if you match with us" email basically means nothing! :(

So bottom line is, my only "I'll be glad if you match with us" email basically means nothing! :(

yeah i think this message is generic and non-comittal (like another user said). - especially if they sent it to everyone.

if the message is more committing and was not sent to everyone - i.e. our entire committee thinks you are the top of the list or a top candidate, etc. sent to a select few then I think it means something.

A lot of my top choice places straight up told us that they wouldn't do anything. I actually like it like that and none of the emails or other communication will be changing my decision. One place that I didn't like apparently sent out emails to their top candidates. No biggie, didn't like them anyway but I'm putting them even lower than I was originally. I don't like the game they want you to play and I refuse to play it

Got it!:whoa:

Last edited:
I have a query on that: does "ranked you to match" should be considered same as "ranked you highly"? I am in a dilemma reconsidering #1 and #2.

"Ranked to match" could mean you are ranked within the program's quota in which case you are guaranteed to match there if you rank that program first. But sometimes programs stretch the term to mean you are ranked within the range where they usually fill. It doesn't matter. If the program that is telling you that you are ranked to match is your second choice, won't you always wonder if you could have matched at your first choice if you'd kept the original order? Your preference is your preference regardless of what a program is telling you (or not telling you). Maybe both programs have you ranked to match, but only one has told you that outright.

I have a query on that: does "ranked you to match" should be considered same as "ranked you highly"? I am in a dilemma reconsidering #1 and #2.
Please go read the "How the NRMP Match Works" thread, including watching the video. Then come back here and delete your post because it's embarrassing.

Reactions: 2 users
Ok I need some advice! I have had several sleepless nights over this! The program I ranked #1 sent out an email to a lot of people saying they are ranked in a "strong position". I did not receive that email. But I have had several communications with the PD and assistant PD about how much I loved the program and how I ranked them #1. I got really good feedback from them and other residents so I am so confused. I'm afraid this means I won't match with them. Has anyone else had this situation and what was the result?

Ok I need some advice! I have had several sleepless nights over this! The program I ranked #1 sent out an email to a lot of people saying they are ranked in a "strong position". I did not receive that email. But I have had several communications with the PD and assistant PD about how much I loved the program and how I ranked them #1. I got really good feedback from them and other residents so I am so confused. I'm afraid this means I won't match with them. Has anyone else had this situation and what was the result?

It. Doesn't. Matter.

You will either match with them, or you won't. If you match somewhere else, you'll adapt and get good training. If you don't match anywhere, you will have to restrategize your application. But regardless of what will happen, you have no control over the outcome now. Seriously, stop worrying and enjoy your last few weeks before your scrambling to figure out where you are going to live and what's going to happen in the next several months.

It. Doesn't. Matter.

You will either match with them, or you won't. If you match somewhere else, you'll adapt and get good training. If you don't match anywhere, you will have to restrategize your application. But regardless of what will happen, you have no control over the outcome now. Seriously, stop worrying and enjoy your last few weeks before your scrambling to figure out where you are going to live and what's going to happen in the next several months.
If it were that easy I wouldn't have posted here. I was looking for people who may have had experience with something like this. Thanks though.

If it were that easy I wouldn't have posted here. I was looking for people who may have had experience with something like this. Thanks though.

Ok. I got love letters. I thought I interacted well with residents. I didn't match at that program. I matched somewhere else. Again, it is out of your hands now, so why worry about it? It is that easy.

Well, since you did not get the letter you probably are not ranked as high as those other folks, but it is hard to say.

You can drive your crazy for the next couple of weeks or sit back and let what will happen anyway happen. It is out of your hands now. You did your ROL and the programs have done theirs.

Nobody can give you the answer and reassurance you want. So chill and be happy if you do rank somewhere. We all want our #1 but we all will not get it. So, make the best out of what you do get and move on.

You're probably ranked lower than the people that got the love letter. You might not match there. Everyone wants their number 1 but programs only have so many spots

You're probably ranked lower than the people that got the love letter. You might not match there. Everyone wants their number 1 but programs only have so many spots
Yeah I'm coming to terms with it. Thanks for the advice.

actually it is...your ROL is submitted...the milk is spilled...you have no control anymore...so quit stressing about it.

How come on student doctor people talk down to other people for "worrying about what they can't control" and "not enjoying their fourth year enough"? It's called being human, guys. It takes time to let go of things we wanted but can't have.

Reactions: 1 users
How come on student doctor people talk down to other people for "worrying about what they can't control" and "not enjoying their fourth year enough"? It's called being human, guys. It takes time to let go of things we wanted but can't have.
its not talking down...we have all experienced this....remember we went through med school and interview season too...keep perserverating and it will make you crazy...and for what? its not like it will change anything...you will match where you are meant to match...flipping your 1 or 2 or 3 over and over is not going to make much difference...analyzing every email that you and your classmates have gotten and just how much love that means for you is just mental masturbation...especially when it has been said ad infinitum that these communications really make no difference...you have 3 weeks to deal with until you have to deal with black monday and then to stress about the 4 days until you find out where you matched...you can either chill or drive yourself crazy...your call...

Reactions: 2 users