No residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmLife4Me

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I am interested in going the Podiatry route, but honesty I am kinda turned away by the "residency shortage" being talked about. Why pursue something for 4 years that you may be left out in the dark with no job? Maybe somebody can explain this to me better because I am trying to figure out if its worth taking the chance! Any information would be great! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Also, what happens to the people who don't get a residency and what are their options?

Hi guys. I am interested in going the Podiatry route, but honesty I am kinda turned away by the "residency shortage" being talked about. Why pursue something for 4 years that you may be left out in the dark with no job? Maybe somebody can explain this to me better because I am trying to figure out if its worth taking the chance! Any information would be great! Thanks

Well I think if you want to pursue this field then you really have to like working with feet and performing foot/ankle surgery. I suggest job shadowing a "recent" emphasis on recent, grad from podiatry and asking him or her what their take on the profession is and where it's heading and if they would do it again. I know that many seasoned or older physicians getting ready to retire have a much different take on their respective fields than their newer counterparts since healthcare and medicine has changed dynamically since their time. For example schooling is much more expensive then it was 20+ years ago and generally life was a lot easier back then with less hassles. It seems that NP and PA are solid professions that will play a valuable role in our new and emerging healthcare system. I personally chose those the RN/NP/PA route b/c I like the fact that you can specialize in any of the 50 different specialties, option to switch specialties, job security, high income potential, and ofcourse the you can do other things with your degree such as sales, marketing, research and development, can work fo bio tech, pharm, medical device companies, work as a consultant, tavel the world since your degree will be recognized internationally, besides bedside, care. I did shadow a pod, and respect the profession but honestly smelly feet, fungus just did not appeal to me and most people had this weird look on their face when I told them I'm considering podiatry. I think podiatry is great for people who have an interest in feet, although, i do know a dpm degree you can't really do much with it besides clinical aspects, maybe im wrong. If you do not end up with a residency im assuming your options are to either sue the school, or maybe just look for another career path.

Members don't see this ad :)

As with any professional degree/schooling, it all comes down to how you apply yourself. No one will be holding our hands and guiding us slowly through this process - its up to you and me to buckle down and if YOU want it bad enough, you will find ways to excel and achieve that goal. Maintain a strong network with colleagues and professionals and keep your options open, if you're already scared before you start, then you will have lost half the battle. No one can answer this question for you - only you can based on the information you've gathered. Tread wisely and you shall succeed.

People are still going into it because they have self confidence in their abilities and into the efforts of fixing the shortage. How much it will carry us I can't say for sure.

But if it's a pharm life 4 you.... ;)

Because the below average student probably clerked at below average programs which historically get mediocre student clerks. Where the above average student went to competitive programs.

Obviously it didn't work out for some of the above average students, while their below average classmates out-shined the other below average student clerks at their below average programs.

This is how below average students can match while their above average classmates did not. Does this apply to everyone? No, but it's definitely a legitimate reason on how this can happen.

Anklebreaker is getting very wise in his old age. He is getting out and seeing the way the real world works

I agree with the general principle that Ankle Breaker is advocating, i.e. be realistic about where you clerk. But remember, the reason why we do clerkships in the first place is to learn, not to play politics in the residency hunt. Generally, the good programs will challenge you and teach you more, and you'll be smarter and better prepared to interview. Spend your year at average to below average programs and you might not learn a thing. That's the balancing act you have to perform.

The other thing to worry about is that there are quite a few bad programs out there. If you match into a program that will give you poor training, you're just stalling your problems 3 years, though I can't speak with so much authority on the job hunt, and I imagine a residency graduate willing to move would ultimately have no trouble finding gainful employment.

So to bring this home for the OP, these are the risks that you would face in podiatry. I recommend a thorough exploration of your options, because there is a lot you can do in healthcare. If you do decide on podiatry, good luck, because, as my classmates who matched at Sacred Heart Hospital have discovered, [bad] luck is major factor.

Last edited:
So just for a complete clarification?

If you do not get an externship and a residency, you do not get to be a podiatrist and that there is NO other way around it?

I know that MD/DO's can reapply to different residencies, podiatrists cannot do that?

How about the externship?

But remember, the reason why we do clerkships in the first place is to learn, not to play politics in the residency hunt.

Hmm... I'm not in this game yet, but I would venture to say you are wrong here. If you completely disregard (or even slightly disregard...) the politics in the clerkship/residency process, you will be at a huge disadvantage. Sure it'd be cool if you didn't have to worry about the politics of clerking (eg which months to select certain programs, etc etc), but the reality of life is that politics ALWAYS matter. The "real world" doesn't let you live in a utopian paradise where all you need to worry about during podiatry school is learning. You need to make connections and play the game too.

You're out of your element Donny.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

What's your opinion on shampoo vs condistioner?

I agree with the general principle that Ankle Breaker is advocating, i.e. be realistic about where you clerk. But remember, the reason why we do clerkships in the first place is to learn, not to play politics in the residency hunt. Generally, the good programs will challenge you and teach you more, and you'll be smarter and better prepared to interview. Spend your year at average to below average programs and you might not learn a thing. That's the balancing act you have to perform.

r.

I am not trying to be harsh or to be a troll or a future gunner, but there is nothing you do in your professional life that does not involve politics or your popularity. I have been in the working world enough to see this. There are many naive individuals that think your abilities will carry you towards your goal and think that is all you need. I do agree you are there to primarily learn in clerkship, but to get the good spots you will also need to do a great degree of schmoozing.

As for thoughts as to whether to go to a weak program, sort of go the big fish but in a very small pond route. I suppose that might work to get you an OK to BS residency, not a route I would want to go.
I will just finish this up as something to consider. At my work during the spring and summer is the plants golf league after work and they all get drinks afterwards. If you look at the people in that league and compare it to who is in senior management and who is getting the good promotions, one would notice some correlation quite quickly. Never underestimate this phenomena.

Members don't see this ad :)

The other thing to worry about is that there are quite a few bad programs out there. If you match into a program that will give you poor training, you're just stalling your problems 3 years, though I can't speak with so much authority on the job hunt, and I imagine a residency graduate willing to move would ultimately have no trouble finding gainful employment.

So to bring this home for the OP, these are the risks that you would face in podiatry. I recommend a thorough exploration of your options, because there is a lot you can do in healthcare. If you do decide on podiatry, good luck, because, as my classmates who matched at Sacred Heart Hospital have discovered, [bad] luck is major factor.

I disagree with this. I am sorry you did not view it/approach it this way.

I also disagree with this. Looking back on things, as 3rd year students picking programs, we largely have no clue what is considered a "good" program. That is the nature of the beast. Also there is always something to learn at a program. There are great attendings at almost all programs. They might not have the "name" recognition because they choose against the speaking/publishing circuit. So what. I would gladly choose to learn from the unknown guy making 500k with a happy, rewarding, lifestyle making a significant difference in peoples lives.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

???

The dude abides

A few comments:

1) politics is involved with every aspect of the profession, and this is not unique to podiatry. If you believe that politics will have no role in your future, you are simply uninformed or naive.

2) I believe there are presently 4 states that do not require a residency to practice. Years ago our office had 2 preceptors (not at the same time) and they learned a lot about practice management, patient care, hospital protocol and surgery. It was literally a mini residency, They were allowed to perform/scrub cases with one of the docs in our practice. I believe they both ended up with residency programs and they are both VERY successful in private practice.

You simply have to do your homework regarding those states and obtain a quality preceptorship. And the docs in the preceptorship MAY have connections at a hospital with a residency, and "politics" may play in your favor. After all, at that point your skills and knowledge will be well known, and you will also be a known commodity.

A few comments:

1) politics is involved with every aspect of the profession, and this is not unique to podiatry. If you believe that politics will have no role in your future, you are simply uninformed or naive.

I'm just going to go ahead and leave this here...

Note: PADPM is an attending. Ankle breaker....is not.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SDN Mobile

[QUOTE

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.[/QUOTE]

I love this so much I applaud you for coming up with this ... I think im just going to go around posting this from now on all over sdn when I see that it is desperately required.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

I love this so much I applaud you for coming up with this ... I think im just going to go around posting this from now on all over sdn when I see that it is desperately required.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Not sure if serious or.... You do realize this is from Billy Madison, right?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SDN Mobile

I am going to double down on my comment, re: the purpose of clerkships. We are enrolled in universities to learn about foot and ankle surgery. That is why we do clerkships. If this was not, as I originally wrote, the reason why we do them in the first place, the schools would graduate us in 2-3 years and then have us do week-long or day-long residency visits for another year.

At no point did I say playing politics was irrelevant to the process. Context, people.