No responding to reference letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TW0709

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I asked prof in person this summer " will you write me a reference letter this fall for graduate school application? He promised. But, when I followed up this Friday, no response. As Iam oversees, it's not a option to show up to his face. My only strategy is to nicely keep sending emails, let him know the Importance of his LOR and try to bring up bits of memories about me. Is there any suggestions I can learn from you guys?

Members don't see this ad.

Wait a few days and then send a reminder email. If he doesn't respond, wait another week and then send a third email. If he still doesn't respond, find someone else to write your letter of rec.

Members don't see this ad :)
I asked prof in person this summer " will you write me a reference letter this fall for graduate school application? He promised. But, when I followed up this Friday, no response. As Iam oversees, it's not a option to show up to his face. My only strategy is to nicely keep sending emails, let him know the Importance of his LOR and try to bring up bits of memories about me. Is there any suggestions I can learn from you guys?
Attach a picture of your hopeful face and consider sending a plea to his admin asst.

I asked a professor for a LOR on April 15, offering a deadline of June 15th to get it to me. He agreed, and I sent him my materials the next day. Later, on June 2, I emailed reminding him of the coming deadline, to no reply.

Six months later I still haven't heard anything from him. Meanwhile, I submitted my app without his letter (which fortunately was not important) and have already completed a number of interviews.

Bit of a cautionary tale I guess?

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you guys. God blessed that prof has sent me back email and it's positive. One more question, do i need to offer my CV, SOP or even draft to him even if prof didn't ask me to do so?

Thank you guys. God blessed that prof has sent me back email and it's positive. One more question, do i need to offer my CV, SOP or even draft to him even if prof didn't ask me to do so?

Give him everything that you feel will help him to write you a good letter

I have typically attached my cv and personal statement in emails to my letter writers. It gives them a good idea of what you have accomplished.