No response from any school - red flag?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sophie.lu101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Sorry to add to the neuroticism here, but I've been complete at the 27 schools I applied to since late July/early August and haven't heard back from a single one. I know that it's still early and I don't expect a response from most schools until months later, but a lot of people who were complete when I was seem to have heard back from at least 1 school by now. I think I'm at least about average in terms of scores and ECs (I posted a WAMC a few months ago with all that info http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/confused-about-what-is-reach-safety-help.1209261/), so I'm wondering if maybe there was a red flag in one of my LORs. Does anyone know if having a red flag in an LOR could put an app on hold?

Members don't see this ad.

Any reason to believe you may have a red flag in your LOR? What about your school's committee letter? Is it in already or are they one of the late ones? (That could easily explain a delay - especially one across the board)

Since your numbers are very strong, I'd check the school specific threads to see if they've been handing out interview invitations left and right or are just now getting started.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can't actually think you're about average in stats with as an Ivy grad with a 75-76 LizzyM! You can reasonably expect to hear back sooner than most, actually, since you were complete very early with strong stats. With 27 schools on your list it's weird to have total silence.

Do any of the schools you've applied to send out rejections after review, or are they all silent reject schools? Do all the online portals show "Complete" on their status pages or do you just mean you've requested/submitted everything on your end? Checked your spam filters?

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys! Sorry to add to the neuroticism here, but I've been complete at the 27 schools I applied to since late July/early August and haven't heard back from a single one. I know that it's still early and I don't expect a response from most schools until months later, but a lot of people who were complete when I was seem to have heard back from at least 1 school by now. I think I'm at least about average in terms of scores and ECs (I posted a WAMC a few months ago with all that info http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/confused-about-what-is-reach-safety-help.1209261/), so I'm wondering if maybe there was a red flag in one of my LORs. Does anyone know if having a red flag in an LOR could put an app on hold?
Maybe...maybe not, noone but the schools would know but i wud assume if u had a red flag that they didnt like they wud reject u instead of put u on hold

U have amazing stats, have patience! Im sure ull hear back some love

Reactions: 1 users
It's still early.

Reactions: 1 user
A bad LOR could certainly hold things up, but so can poorly written essays.

Also, reviews of applications are not necessarily reviewed in chronological order or invited for interview at time of review. Superstars, linked programs, associated UG institutions, family of alumni, grads of feeder schools, URMs people who meet the school’s mission, in-state residents for state schools, linked post-bac programs like SMPs, and other factors may push an app forward in the process.

When these get added up they essentially become your interview priority. So you may get reviewed in August but priority doesn’t get you invited until February.

Any reason to believe you may have a red flag in your LOR? What about your school's committee letter? Is it in already or are they one of the late ones? (That could easily explain a delay - especially one across the board)

Since your numbers are very strong, I'd check the school specific threads to see if they've been handing out interview invitations left and right or are just now getting started.

You can't actually think you're about average in stats with as an Ivy grad with a 75-76 LizzyM! You can reasonably expect to hear back sooner than most, actually, since you were complete very early with strong stats. With 27 schools on your list it's weird to have total silence.

Do any of the schools you've applied to send out rejections after review, or are they all silent reject schools? Do all the online portals show "Complete" on their status pages or do you just mean you've requested/submitted everything on your end? Checked your spam filters?

I had a committee letter that was submitted in early August, and I've checked all of the portals to ensure that I'm complete everywhere. No spam messages either. I don't know for sure that I have a red flag in a LOR, but I've checked my AMCAS app numerous times and I'm not sure where else I might have a huge red flag. I have checked the threads for all of the schools I applied to, and quite a few of them have already sent out IIs/rejections to people complete way behind me. I guess I applied pretty top heavy, but because I applied to so many places, I did still have 10 schools outside the top 25 on my list. Not sure what's going on:/

A bad LOR could certainly hold things up, but so can poorly written essays.

Also, reviews of applications are not necessarily reviewed in chronological order or invited for interview at time of review. Superstars, linked programs, associated UG institutions, family of alumni, grads of feeder schools, URMs people who meet the school’s mission, in-state residents for state schools, linked post-bac programs like SMPs, and other factors may push an app forward in the process.

When these get added up they essentially become your interview priority. So you may get reviewed in August but priority doesn’t get you invited until February.
It makes sense to me that apps aren't necessarily reviewed in order, but I just thought that I would have heard back from at least 1 of the 27 schools by now, even if it was a rejection or hold (which UChicago seems to do according to the school specific thread). My essays probably weren't spectacular, but now that you've pointed it out, I suppose that they could be the problem.

I had a committee letter that was submitted in early August, and I've checked all of the portals to ensure that I'm complete everywhere. No spam messages either. I don't know for sure that I have a red flag in a LOR, but I've checked my AMCAS app numerous times and I'm not sure where else I might have a huge red flag. I have checked the threads for all of the schools I applied to, and quite a few of them have already sent out IIs/rejections to people complete way behind me. I guess I applied pretty top heavy, but because I applied to so many places, I did still have 10 schools outside the top 25 on my list. Not sure what's going on:/
I believe some portals move you from "ready to review" to "hold" or "under review" after your app first gets looked at. Has this been the case on any portals, to at least ensure you really are complete and your app being read?

Just be patient. Even if you have 10 red flats and horrible scores you will get plenty of secondaries so I wouldn't look at this as an issue. Everyone gets secondaries.... schools making that $$.

Just be patient. Even if you have 10 red flats and horrible scores you will get plenty of secondaries so I wouldn't look at this as an issue. Everyone gets secondaries.... schools making that $$.
They're complete not transmitted !

I believe some portals move you from "ready to review" to "hold" or "under review" after your app first gets looked at. Has this been the case on any portals, to at least ensure you really are complete and your app being read?
I checked earlier today, and the portals that indicate this all still say "ready to review" rather than "hold" or "under review." I don't want to bother the admissions offices by emailing/calling to ask if I really am complete, but if the portal still remains the same in the next few weeks, should I just contact them?

Members don't see this ad :)
I checked earlier today, and the portals that indicate this all still say "ready to review" rather than "hold" or "under review." I don't want to bother the admissions offices by emailing/calling to ask if I really am complete, but if the portal still remains the same in the next few weeks, should I just contact them?
Well first I'd try to confirm that some schools you've applied to update their portals like that (like if you have friends applying to U Chicago with similar stats and timing and they see something different than "ready to review"). If this is the case, then yeah in a couple weeks I'd start worrying that something hadn't gone through properly, even if you had a terrible LoR or PS you'd at least expect to see something change to rejected/held.

Now I know most people will tell you to be patient, but I personally think given the large number of applications you sent out, not hearing back from any of them after 2 months is a little strange. Don't panic just yet because you can wake up tomorrow with 2 IIs in your inbox. If you still don't hear back from anyone in the next 2 weeks, then something is off.

Well first I'd try to confirm that some schools you've applied to update their portals like that (like if you have friends applying to U Chicago with similar stats and timing and they see something different than "ready to review"). If this is the case, then yeah in a couple weeks I'd start worrying that something hadn't gone through properly, even if you had a terrible LoR or PS you'd at least expect to see something change to rejected/held.
Thanks for the advice! And yeah, two of my friends who also applied to UChicago around the same time I did had their portals change already. One with slightly lower stats is in the same boat as me (but has IIs from other schools), and the other has an II. I'll check about the other schools though.

What?!? Neurotic thoughts and behaviors from a Premed?!? I never heard of such a thing!

I am adding this my list of criteria for proposed inclusion of a new disorder in DSM-VI:

PREMED : Psychotic Reactionary Event Manifestation Exclusionary Disorder

A disorder that is a psychotic reaction to the events around applying to medical schools that manifests itself in the exclusion of rational thought. Seemingly highly intelligent, high achieving students are most susceptible to this disorder. Loss of major rational thought and reactions to unsubstantiated beliefs, rumors, innuendos, and other irrational and illogical cognitive processes. A form of collective behavior.

But @gonnif the OP IS one of those high achievers... 36 LizzyM, Ivy school, serious research...

I'm thinking that setting a mental deadline to ease the wait -- say October 1st or October 15th -- then following up with an update (any plausible update material?) to nudge things along...?

Now I know most people will tell you to be patient, but I personally think given the large number of applications you sent out, not hearing back from any of them after 2 months is a little strange. Don't panic just yet because you can wake up tomorrow with 2 IIs in your inbox. If you still don't hear back from anyone in the next 2 weeks, then something is off.
Exactly what I was thinking. I realize that it's early and I knew there'd be a lot of waiting, but I just expected something (even a hold or rejection) from at least 1 place by now.

But @gonnif the OP IS one of those high achievers... 36 LizzyM, Ivy school, serious research...

I'm thinking that setting a mental deadline to ease the wait -- say October 1st or October 15th -- then following up with an update (any plausible update material?) to nudge things along...?
That sounds like a good idea. If I don't hear back from a single school by 10/15, I could update schools with more details about my gap year job (which I'd barely started when I submitted apps).

Exactly what I was thinking. I realize that it's early and I knew there'd be a lot of waiting, but I just expected something (even a hold or rejection) from at least 1 place by now.
Maybe you just happened to not apply to any of the schools that offer prompt rejections/holds, like GW, GT, Pitts, Oakland, Tulane, etc.

Maybe you just happened to not apply to any of the schools that offer prompt rejections/holds, like GW, GT, Pitts, Oakland, Tulane, etc.
Yeah, I guess that's possible too... the only school that I applied to on that list was Pitt.

Just throwing this out here, but is any of these your real names?

Asa Akira, Alina Li, Evelyn Lin, Marica Hase or something like that.

Last edited:

Asa Akira, Alina Li, Marica Haze, Evelyn Lin, Marica Hase or something like that...
Yeah...don't google any of them at work/school.

Reactions: 4 users

Asa Akira, Alina Li, Evelyn Lin, Marica Hase or something like that.
Lol people probably assume my username is my name, but the "LU" is actually my middle and last initial, not last name.

Those names that you gave as examples though... haha

Applicants are so focused on academic metrics that they lose sight of all the other ways they are evaluated. While their academic evaluation will be likely well-qualified, we have no idea what the primary PS nor the secondaries are like. Nor do we know what the LOR is like. None of them may have some sort of red flag but they simple could be considered average. Even though this applicant appears to be complete since August with primary, secondary, MCAT, LOR, schools do not send II in chronological order but deal with the overall higher rated applicants first. Indeed, with several thousand application, schools can take anywhere from 1-3 months (yes I said months) before working thru all the applications. And then this could also mean they have be reviewed, evaluated at a lower priority than others, and put in the second or third pile of applications for later possible II. It would be nice if there were a standard set of process points that schools report but there are not. My guess, it is still in the pile waiting for review
So where does the "no news is good news" SDN idea come in? Does it mean that schools are not entirely disinterested in you?

Hey OP, I'm in the same boat as you. Similar profile, scores, undergrad type. Got past bunch of secondary screens for my IS CA schools and completed most of my secondaries to ~23 schools in the same time frame (finishing about mid August), but haven't heard anything back at all since then and it's driving me nuts especially since lots of my friends have gotten IIs already having completed apps around the same time. Guess all I can say is that we shouldn't give up hope just yet and to wait just a bit longer!

Just food for thought, some reviewers work a lot slower than others, even at UChicago. From their thread, there are people complete early July (11th!) just getting decisions now. Can you talk to your premed office for tips? They are usually pretty helpful,

I'm in the same boat @sophie.lu101 and @Vulfington. Completed to most schools early August, some mid August and I've still heard nothing. Hopefully something will come soon for all of us.

I'm in the same boat @sophie.lu101 and @Vulfington. Completed to most schools early August, some mid August and I've still heard nothing. Hopefully something will come soon for all of us.
Same here, complete at most schools by mid August with a similar profile. Hopefully we all hear some news in the coming weeks.

I was complete in early July to mid August. I heard back from my UG-affiliated IS school in early September; and got past a few filters (Mayo, UCSF), but that's been about it. Similar stats (see sig.), so I'm also getting a little impatient. I don't think your case is too unique.

Honestly, worrying about this will only cause more issues for you. I suggest chilling out and staying focused on whatever you're doing now.

Some schools may not look at LOR's before submission of the secondary (provided the school has one), so I slightly doubt that the LOR is the issue.

Very, very random thought: Do you think that the problem may be a technical issue with AMCAS that ended up causing your primary to not be sent to the schools?

We are all in this together guys/girls. I would much prefer taking the MCAT over waiting for application decisions. At least I felt like I was doing something. But maybe we can all reflect on the fact that there are many other students in the same boat and chill. Unlikely to help but I'm going to try.

We are all in this together guys/girls. I would much prefer taking the MCAT over waiting for application decisions. At least I felt like I was doing something. But maybe we can all reflect on the fact that there are many other students in the same boat and chill. Unlikely to help but I'm going to try.

This x1000

Some schools may not look at LOR's before submission of the secondary (provided the school has one), so I slightly doubt that the LOR is the issue.

Very, very random thought: Do you think that the problem may be a technical issue with AMCAS that ended up causing your primary to not be sent to the schools?

I think the OP's primaries probably went through fine since she received and finished secondaries. I believe she means "complete" as in everything has gone through already and she's just waiting for decisions on IIs.

I thought that the month of waiting for the MCAT score release was agonizing, but this is way worse lol. I wish I could relax, but I honestly probably won't be able to until I get an acceptance somewhere (*if it ever happens).

I'm in a similar situation to OP (submitted 20/25 schools in early-mid July, Ivy League, etc.) and at this point I've just accepted that for some reason I'm on the low end of interview priority, which means the only way I can hope to get in is to do ridiculously well on the interview
All you can do right now is work on your interview game really.. and somehow pull a publication from now till January-March

Though I must say it really does stab me in the heart whenever I see the crowd of interviewers at my home institution almost every day I go into lab

And also with a 3.9/37?

Weird. Really weird.
I'm a 3.9 / 34, not 37 lol. Big difference. That could be it actually, or maybe it's some LOR thing I'm not aware of, who knows

I'm a 3.9 / 34, not 37 lol. Big difference. That could be it actually, or maybe it's some LOR thing I'm not aware of, who knows
A bad LOR wouldn't cause problems until your app was looked at though, so you'd at least expect to see status changes to hold/rejected in some portals if that was your issue. If you applied mostly to top schools though, might be that they sort in part by MCAT.

The only thing I can think of is school list and it is early. Apply the Turkey rule. Maybe essays and EC's are not eye catching? Maybe you are named Pepe the alt right frog? I would wait and do some interview prep and relax. LizzyM scores of 70-75 have an acceptance rate of 75-82%.

I think the OP's primaries probably went through fine since she received and finished secondaries. I believe she means "complete" as in everything has gone through already and she's just waiting for decisions on IIs.

ysquared, I saw you got an II. Good for you!

Wow, I got my first II the day after I posted in this thread from one of my top choices. Don't give up hope I guess! :)

The only thing I can think of is school list and it is early. Apply the Turkey rule. Maybe essays and EC's are not eye catching? Maybe you are named Pepe the alt right frog? I would wait and do some interview prep and relax. LizzyM scores of 70-75 have an acceptance rate of 75-82%.
Much higher than 82% for LizzyM near 75 from what I recall. Closer to 90%

Wow, I got my first II the day after I posted in this thread from one of my top choices. Don't give up hope I guess! :)
Going to post here in hopes of the same :D
Though I was complete only 10 days ago so I probably still have a while