Nobody will give me opportunities to do research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMade

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated with BS, but I have no research experience.

I have contacted every professor, hospital, research center around me.

No reply.

What should I do?

This is sad.:(

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry it happens. What I suggest is talk with professors in your classes to see if you can do research with them. Or you can ask if they know someone that is looking for a research assistant or volunteer researcher. It is usually about who you know in these types of situations.

I was in a similar situation, too. I graduated from a undergrad program housed in a medical school, and I struggled to find a mentor. I found some people whose research I was interested in, read and studied their papers, and then showed up in their office to talk about me volunteering. Surprisingly, many people were willing to take me over those who screened my emails. This demonstrates your commitment and that you won't be a waste of their time/resources.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, I would say keep trying. After a zillion no's and ignored emails/voicemails I finally got a yes from a research center. The director said that my email came during a weird lull when they've finished up several projects and have several that won't be starting just yet. This means that there's time to get me comfortable with the staff and the software so that when the work picks up again they can actually keep me busy and take advantage of my willingness to learn and do grunt work.

Reactions: 1 user
You should apply as a research assistant at the research company, school, or hospital of your choice. Try Emory University in Atlanta. They have hundreds of research jobs open. You will have to work your way up from the bottom, but it is a start.