NOLS Semester Conflict

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kellyfuchs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
To those who know:

This summer, I am studying for the MCATS, finish all applications (to MD and DO schools) THEN leave for a NOLS Rocky Mountain Semester on August 23rd and return November 25th.

My question: Is this risky? I am worried I will be asked to complete supplement applications or come for an interview when I am on my wilderness semester. What advice do you have? When are interviews usually conducted for students that turn their applications in during August?

During the NOLS semester, I have 1-2 days every two weeks when I will have internet access, otherwise I can only be contacted through the satellite home with the instructor.

Thanks in advance,
Kelly

Members don't see this ad.

I think it is risky because you want to complete your secondaries as fast as possible waiting to submit them in December will definitely hurt your chances to get an interview. I might be wrong but interviewing after December is most likely interviewing for a wait list spot. Having a completed application early on is extremely important. I wouldn't do it!!!!! Good luck!

I definitely agree that it could be risky in terms of filling out secondaries late, especially if your stats aren't very high. The earlier you hand stuff in, and the faster the turn around, the bigger the advantage you may have. I am also not sure when you are taking the mcat, but if it's after your nols semester, I would not recommend applying this cycle.

I do have to disagree strongly with the post-December interviews being waitlist spots. I interviewed in april at a school and was accepted. However, I did the bulk of my interviews in late September/october, so that could be a problem as well. Some schools let you schedule your interview, but some of them have been pre-scheduled.

Just some things to think about! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely agree that it could be risky in terms of filling out secondaries late, especially if your stats aren't very high. The earlier you hand stuff in, and the faster the turn around, the bigger the advantage you may have. I am also not sure when you are taking the mcat, but if it's after your nols semester, I would not recommend applying this cycle.

I do have to disagree strongly with the post-December interviews being waitlist spots. I interviewed in april at a school and was accepted. However, I did the bulk of my interviews in late September/october, so that could be a problem as well. Some schools let you schedule your interview, but some of them have been pre-scheduled.

Just some things to think about! Good luck!

you are right it depends on the school, so I might have overstated when I said most likely, but depending on how the school does its admissions process it may be true!

you'll need to have everything done (secondaries, letters, payments) by the time you leave... it'll be extremely difficult to work on apps while you're in the field. if you are complete everywhere in August, you could start receiving interview dates for as early as the end of August or at any time after that. You'd have to be in touch with schools to postpone those interviews until after you are back. The major issue as i see it is that you won't be available for interviews until you come back in November. This will put you at a disadvantage at schools with rolling admissions.

This really does sound like it's on the edge of un-doableness.... OTOH, there are threads around discussing people who are trying to apply and interview while overseas (basically the same situation). search for them.

have fun on your NOLS course if you decide to go, it's an awesome experience!!

Status
Not open for further replies.