Nomenclature for Organic Chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

collegelife101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Does anyone have any tips on how to recognize the many compounds for Orgo? I didn't think we had to know complex ones but I sometimes get questions about phenylhydrazone or phenylhydrazine, for instance, and have no idea how to draw them. Any help/resources are appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

From my experience these are typically the random trivial questions that are put in the way to keep you from getting that 15 in a section! You can't possibly cover all material and these come down to if you are lucky enough to have covered this info or not. Do your best but don't waste too much time on things like these and focus on studying things that are higher yield.

Draw them out. Stick it on your wall. Before you fall asleep, try to name and visualize the compound.

Or

Download a notecard app. For all the compounds you encounter, write down the name and the associated picture.

You can study anywhere. Goodluck.

Hello everyone! Does anyone have any tips on how to recognize the many compounds for Orgo? I didn't think we had to know complex ones but I sometimes get questions about phenylhydrazone or phenylhydrazine, for instance, and have no idea how to draw them. Any help/resources are appreciated!
Nomenclature is very simple and systematic except few common names.You need to make yourself familiar with the rules and structures.Like hydrazines are R-NH-NH2 so if R is phenyl then it is phenyl hydrazine.However hydrazones are formed after the reaction of the hydrazine with the carbonyl group .Now phenyl hydrazone are formed after the reaction of the phenyl hydrazine with any carbonyl group.For example if acetone reacts with phenylhydrazine then the product is acetone phenyl hydrazone.
(CH3)2C=O + C6H5NHNH2 ----> C6H5NHN=C(CH3)2(acetone phenyl hydrazone)