Nomenclature

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted647690

I was working in my BR organic chem book, and a question asked, "According to the data in table 1-7, which of the following carbon-carbon single bonds is the most stable?
A. sp2 carbon to primary sp3 carbon
B. sp2 to secondary sp3
C. secondary sp3 to primary sp2
D. secondary sp3 to secondary sp3"

The table was a table of bond dissociation energies, but I'm having trouble understanding it. In one column, they list a bunch of carbon roots, from methyl to t-butyl to vinyl. In the other column, I think it's like a second connected organic part of the molecule? (B=H, Me, t-Bu, i-Pr"

I'm not really sure how to interpret this table. Is it necessary to know what all of these roots mean?

For example, the answer to the question explains that you have to recognize that an sp2 carbon is described as vinylic, and I didn't know what that means. The review book does not have explanations for each of these roots.

Members don't see this ad.

Methyl is methyl. I think you should know that. t-butyl is tertiary-butyl, or a single carbon center attached to three methyl groups. Vinyl is an ethylene, or two carbon unit double bonded together with one of those carbons bound to something else.

Methyl is methyl. I think you should know that. t-butyl is tertiary-butyl, or a single carbon center attached to three methyl groups. Vinyl is an ethylene, or two carbon unit double bonded together with one of those carbons bound to something else.
Thanks, maybe I'll have to look at a table and relearn those