Non-ACGME accredited fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Unty

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
These ask that you be eligible for state licensure? Do you need to have a state license before these fellowship or do you need to get a state license during the fellowship? If someone can clarify this for me that would be greatly appreciated. For ACGME fellowships, you dont need a state license. Why the difference?

Members don't see this ad.

These ask that you be eligible for state licensure? Do you need to have a state license before these fellowship or do you need to get a state license during the fellowship? If someone can clarify this for me that would be greatly appreciated. For ACGME fellowships, you dont need a state license. Why the difference?

My experience is that the program (state?) dictates whether a license is required. I have done a non-accredited fellowship where I didn't need a license, and an accredited fellowship that required a state license. It boiled down to whether GME required PGY-2's and above at those particular institutions to have a state license or not. Maybe someone can clarify why this difference exists.

Gene I want to know how we can know about the non accredited fellowships in Obgyn.