Non-ACGME accredited residency positions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Knightmd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it a good idea to do a PGY1 in a non-accredited residency program, versus spending the year doing research/MSc/MS5? What are the prospects of the positions, and where are you expected to move on from there?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it a good idea to do a PGY1 in a non-accredited residency program, versus spending the year doing research/MSc/MS5? What are the prospects of the positions, and where are you expected to move on from there?
Unless you're a DO and the position is AOA accredited, this sounds like an awful idea.

depends....how many times have you failed the boards and how poorly do you interview? if you are a terrible applicant that can't hide their racism during interviews, then yeah, this sounds like a dapper idea. if you feel like you have anything above a below average application then you should hold out for something that is accredited. why take the risk if you don't have to?

depends....how many times have you failed the boards and how poorly do you interview? if you are a terrible applicant that can't hide their racism during interviews, then yeah, this sounds like a dapper idea. if you feel like you have anything above a below average application then you should hold out for something that is accredited. why take the risk if you don't have to?

Lol.

From my limited experience of seeing these poor "interns" work themselves to death in non-accredited year-long jobs ("house officer" jobs, not ACGME-accredited), they rarely, if ever, lead to an actual categorical PGY-1 or PGY-2 spot.

Can some one help me please ?
I need a list of non ACGME Residencies. Where can I find them ? How to find them ? Would any one help please?