Non Biology Degree (Economics)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HealthyEcon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! This is my first post and I'll give a little bit of background.

I am an Economics major at a pretty good University in Texas in Dallas. I recently was doing some entrepreneurial consulting at a local Podiatry practice and really enjoyed the atmosphere and even the work the Doc was doing. I then shadowed him for two days and really found it an interesting field and something I could see myself doing.

My stats are 3.3 GPA in Econ but I have A+ in Chemistry I and Chemistry II. So I'm really good at the sciences but had a bad first year and a half adjusting to school.

So my question is if Pod schools are going to look down on my Econ degree if I have all the pre reqs?

Is doing just pre reqs, assuming a high GPA 3.75+ (I have a 4.0 with one W being chem freshman year right now in all science courses) going to looked down upon vs getting a Bio related degree? I won't have many or any Bio classes because Bio I and Bio II with maybe Anatomy I.

Also I finish my degree soon, would it be looked down upon to finish my pre reqs at a CC or should I pony up the cash and do it at my school... My school tuition is 6k a semester and I will be out scholarship money so CC is cheaper way just FYI?

Guys thanks so much! I can't wait to hopefully be a part of this forum!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad.

i wouldn't believe they'd look down on an econ degree, but they would want to see solid science grades like you've been making. As far as cc vs uni for pre-req classes, that sounds like an email question for specific schools.

Is doing just pre reqs, assuming a high GPA 3.75+ (I have a 4.0 with one W being chem freshman year right now in all science courses) going to looked down upon vs getting a Bio related degree? I won't have many or any Bio classes because Bio I and Bio II with maybe Anatomy I.

Also I finish my degree soon, would it be looked down upon to finish my pre reqs at a CC or should I pony up the cash and do it at my school... My school tuition is 6k a semester and I will be out scholarship money so CC is cheaper way just FYI?

I agree with selectedagainst that they won't look down on your economics degree.

If possible, it would probably be advantageous to get the credits included in your university transcript as transfer credits (I think Texas has an equivalency code/system for credit transfers?), if for no other reason than to not have to deal with having to request and include transcripts from two institutions with your applications.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I took a vast majority of my basic science/gen ed courses in a CC for the benefit of saving money. I had no problem getting in anywhere.

Thanks guys!

I chatted with my advisor today and we talked about a B.A. in Biology. It's a biology degree which includes all the pre reqs and additional Biology classes with only a stats instead of Calc class.

Seems like that'd be the best option because it means lots of science classes to pad that GPA and lots of exposure to great biology electives!

CC's do not matter, and there are a number of students with non science degrees such as business, psyche. Just do well in your Sciences and you are fine

I was a linguistics major (with Chem and Asian Studies minors 3.7 gpa, 3.55 sGPA, 28 MCAT) and was able to get in at every school I applied so I do not see a non-science degree as any sort of a disadvantage. If anything I think it sets you apart from everyone else.