Non-CACREP accredited schools okay until 2022?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MasterOf.Science.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to start attending a non-cacrep accredited school(avila university) this fall and have been getting worried about it's lack of accreditation and me being able to obtain a LPC license.

However, was reading about how a cacrep accredited program won't be required until 2022 and that anyone who graduates before that will be grandfathered in.

http://ct.counseling.org/2014/11/nc...-cacrep-accredited-program-beginning-in-2022/

My question is- seeing this, will I still be able to get my license in 2-3 years, since it'll be before 2022?

Members don't see this ad.

You NEED to understand the difference between certification and licensure. The NCC is certification. It does NOT allow for independent practice in any state. Licensure comes from each state's licensure board. If you think you might move to a state that requires CACREP, then graduation from non-CACREP is a waste of time and money. I get the sense you are so excited about being accepted into a "grad program" that you are not caring about the other issues that will be important down the line. 71% acceptance rate is high for programs in this field. That is NOT a good thing. It is important to research the limitations and privileges of any degree (MSW OR MA OR M.eD) before jumping into a program.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You NEED to understand the difference between certification and licensure. The NCC is certification. It does NOT allow for independent practice in any state. Licensure comes from each state's licensure board. If you think you might move to a state that requires CACREP, then graduation from non-CACREP is a waste of time and money. I get the sense you are so excited about being accepted into a "grad program" that you are not caring about the other issues that will be important down the line. 71% acceptance rate is high for programs in this field. That is NOT a good thing. It is important to research the limitations and privileges of any degree (MSW OR MA OR M.eD) before jumping into a program.
What's the point of the NCC certification, then?
Sorry- I don't know much about this and am in the process of doing heavy research on these things.

NCC certification is a way to possibly make more money in private practice and it also recongnizes counselors who have graduated with SOLID training in counseling theory and practice. And MAclinican I agree with you 100 percent

I think you should look into other programs.