Non-clinical and Clinical hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stephannie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I am a sorry if this question sounds stupid but I am a bit confused about this. I'm volunteering at a hospital and so far I have 100+ hours which would be considered Clinical, if I'm correct. I filled in the paperwork so my school could put them in my transcript for this semester. Now, If I volunteer somewhere else (non-clinical) and I turn my hours to the school to put them in my transcript, they will mix the clinical and non-clinical? So HOW on earth would med schools know by looking at my transcript how many Clinical and non clinical hours I have??
I just don't freaking get it. Am I missing something? Is this how it works?

ALSO! I have another question. When it comes to shadowing? How would they know that those hours are shadowing? My school is requiring me to take this basic clinical skills class before I shodow with them (I would get academic credit) but since I don't want to wait, I will start shadowing on my own first, Will this shadowing count? and how would I record those hours?

I'm sorry, this was long! :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Okay so I am a sorry if this question sounds stupid but I am a bit confused about this. I'm volunteering at a hospital and so far I have 100+ hours which would be considered Clinical, if I'm correct. I filled in the paperwork so my school could put them in my transcript for this semester. Now, If I volunteer somewhere else (non-clinical) and I turn my hours to the school to put them in my transcript, they will mix the clinical and non-clinical? So HOW on earth would med schools know by looking at my transcript how many Clinical and non clinical hours I have??

ALSO! I have another question. When it comes to shadowing? How would they know that those hours are shadowing? My school is requiring me to take this basic clinical skills class before I shodow with them (I would get academic credit) but since I don't want to wait, I will start shadowing on my own first, Will this shadowing count? and how would I record those hours?
You will be entering the clinical and nonclinical hours separately under different categories on your primary application, where you can total the hours as is correct for each entry. It's nice that the school is keeping track, but most schools don't do this. You would provide the contact information for each activity within each entry as well. You'll keep track of your own shadowing hours and list them under the "Other" category on the Primary. You keep track of who you shadowed, specialty, hours, and contact info. You'll list both the shadowing you completed on your own, as well as that which was school sponsored. Both will count.

The AMCAS application has a section called "Experiences". In that section you will provide information about each experience you wish to list. The information requested includings start date (month/year) and end date (or "to present"), the average number of hours per week during that period, the type of experience (drop down menu: Clinical Volunteer & non-clinical volunteer are separate categories), the title of the experience, a contact person (if available), the site of the experience and the location (city, state and/or country). There is also a space to include a brief paragraph about the experience. So, keep your list yourself. There is no expectation that your experiences are listed on your transcript. However, if volunteerism or other activities are required for graduation from your school, you should report the activities to the school as instructed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both of you, I understand now... that makes a lot of sense.
So in other words, they just trust my word? I mean people could just write anything?

they just trust my word? I mean people could just write anything?
Adcomms will trust your word, in general, unless it isn't believable (40 hour work week + 20 hours/week in the lab + school + 12 hour/week other ECs = raises questions). On rare occasions, the contact information is utilized for verification.

Oh okay, I see. I always thought they needed proof, like in the transcript.
Thank you very much!