MA/MS Non clinical Masters Degree in Psychology Job Opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blaubeer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a non clinical, 36-credit MA degree in Counseling Psychology, non-clinical track means no clinical hours accuired. Next step is to get into a PhD program, online, research-oriented. Also, I would like to teach on a graduate level in the future.

I am currently looking for jobs with a non-clinical MA degree in counseling. What to look for?
Has anyone gotten any experience with a non-clinical MA?

Also, I am applying for online programs. Due to life circumstances, online programs are my only choice at the moment. My options are NCU, Capella and Walden, mostly either General Psychology or MFT (if I find an internship position, searching at the moment).

At this point I am not sure whether I should go with a non accredited program, at the same time I see more career opportunities with it. Thoughts, comments and reflections are welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

I am highly skeptical of getting a good education in research through an online only degree. Also, it will be very hard to get a job teaching at the graduate level unless you restrict your opportunities to those same online institutions. Depends on what your other job aspirations are, but it will make things difficult, especially if you envisioned a tenure track position somewhere doing research.

Please also be aware that Walden and Capella are in the top 5 for outstanding loan debt in the US as well as % of students defaulting on those loans. What this equates to is exorbitantly high tuition and students not obtaining jobs that are capable of paying back those loans.

Citation: Recent Brookings Institute study and the Project on Student Debt.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I have been skeptical about these institutions.
I am not sure the the university itself will play a major role where I will apply for jobs, it is the accreditation (APA, CACREP, COAMFTE) that counts.
The reason I am "stuck" with the online programs is that I will be living in another country for about five years... Once I go back I will focus on getting a license.

I will be, only in about 5 years, once I have my perspective Ph.D
define "accredited internship" please. Do you mean, APA?

I don't understand the point of a degree in counseling psychology that involves no patient contact. If the program's expectation is that you will wander out on your own to find supervised practice hours to fulfill licensure requirements, then you have been swindled, simply put.

An online PhD is close to worthless and most search committees will not seriously consider you for teaching jobs. Not only will the poor reputation of the program count against you, but you will have none of the teaching opportunities that are often available to graduate students in university settings. PhDs from top-ranked institutions are finding the job market to be cutthroat; therefore it is safe to say that the job prospects for a newly minted PhD from an online or non-accredited program are dismal.

Your best bet is to wait out your circumstances until you are in a better position to do graduate study in residence at a legitimate institution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
I have a non clinical, 36-credit MA degree in Counseling Psychology, non-clinical track means no clinical hours accuired.

Then how is this an MA degree in "Counseling psychology." Did it not leave out the most important part? lol

Your best bet it to wait out your circumstances until you are in a better position to do graduate study in residence at a legitimate institution.
This is the best advice in the thread.

Even if you could wave a wand and have the Walden/Capella/etc. degree cost nothing…it would still be a waste of time and effort. Being able to pursue doctoral training is not for everyone. Some people don't have the grades, others don't have the time, and others may be restricted to a town/city. Not pursuing a degree would have a far better outcome than pursuing sub-par education, particularly if it is $$$.

Then how is this an MA degree in "Counseling psychology." Did it not leave out the most important part? lol
You have been banned in Google? lol :) It is a non clinical specialization which allows for me to apply to a PhD program, as intended. The reason I switched tracks to non-clinical is because I am moving overseas for five years. Army.

I don't understand the point of a degree in counseling psychology that involves no patient contact. If the program's expectation is that you will wander out on your own to find supervised practice hours to fulfill licensure requirements, then you have been swindled, simply put.

Your best bet is to wait out your circumstances until you are in a better position to do graduate study in residence at a legitimate institution.
Thank you so much for confirming my assumptions regarding the non-accredited programs.

About my current degree: there WAS client contact, lol. This was one of the options to walk with a degree instead of just dropping off and losing all the credit when the Army decided to move us, unexpectedly. Originally I was in CACREP -accredited program, I just graduated with a different track.

Thanks, you guys btw. It is good to converse with collective unconscious for a change.

About my current degree: there WAS client contact, lol. This was one of the options to walk with a degree instead of just dropping off and losing all the credit when the Army decided to move us, unexpectedly. Originally I was in CACREP -accredited program, I just graduated with a different track.

Ah, I see. You took the degree you were able to earn given the situation. My advice remains the same; an online degree is a terrible investment. Thank you (and/or your partner?) for your service.

Reactions: 2 users
The chances of you getting licensed with an online doctorate are slim. The chances of getting a job with an online phd is approaching nil.

Becoming a psychologist takes some sacrifice. Those that announce to he world that they are not willing to do what 99% of the rest of the profession does, pretty much serves as an indicator for your professionalism.

I would offer you some advice about why your plan won't work, but I'll just assume you aren't banned from Google.

I had a prof at a community college with a similar master's degree some years ago. They're currently in nursing school because they couldn't get any work outside of their part time teaching gig and jobs they were already qualified for with their bachelor's. I would recommend waiting until you can commit to school full time and seeing what, if any, credits you can transfer into a program from your previous experiences. As others have pointed out, your current plan is not likely to yield great results.

The chances of you getting licensed with an online doctorate are slim. The chances of getting a job with an online phd is approaching nil.

Becoming a psychologist takes some sacrifice. Those that announce to he world that they are not willing to do what 99% of the rest of the profession does, pretty much serves as an indicator for your professionalism.

Word...