non filipino flying to Philippines in Dec to take NMAT!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

narf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Flying from cali going to manila in december to take the NMAT.
I'll be there for about 10 days.
What schools should I check out..??
My top 2 schools are CDU and CIM
I don't even have a third choice!!?? UERM or Fatima maybe but I think they are too expensive.
What other schools should I check out...?

Obviously my only goal is to do my 4years of medschool and get back to the USA.. so I don't really care which is better and worse.. UST UP etc etc

What I want is cheap, easy(able to study for the USMLE), and allow me a couple of months of rotations back in america.

Anyone else taking the NMAT this December at UST?

Members don't see this ad.

anyone...???
whats a good school to check out... that meets my criteria??

Flying from cali going to manila in december to take the NMAT.
I'll be there for about 10 days.
What schools should I check out..??
My top 2 schools are CDU and CIM
I don't even have a third choice!!?? UERM or Fatima maybe but I think they are too expensive.
What other schools should I check out...?

Obviously my only goal is to do my 4years of medschool and get back to the USA.. so I don't really care which is better and worse.. UST UP etc etc

What I want is cheap, easy(able to study for the USMLE), and allow me a couple of months of rotations back in america.

Anyone else taking the NMAT this December at UST?

Hello Narf,

First, most, or all of the Filipino medical schools are geared towards catering the Filipino healthcare system. And to be honest, no school will actually prepare you for the USMLE's since they prepare their students for the local boards. Fatima, do have a special class that starts in August or September and they do have clinical rotations in the U.S. UERM allows you to have the possibility of doing your rotations in the U.S as well. I think a post by DocTan either here or at ValueMD might be helpful to you.

Second, CIM and CDU are really good schools. I was accepted to both actually but I decided to stay in the U.S instead. CDU, when I talked to their dean does allow clinical rotations here but you have to arrange it with the school.

All Filipino medical schools, as what I've known are more labor and time intensive. Well, medical school for that matter really. So you really got to set a time studying for USMLE's on your own since its only a two month break in between academic years.

I don't know if they are still doing it but they do offer the NMAT in L.A every november I think. Just so to let you know.

Hope this info helps you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just saw this email thread. and just had a few thoughts.

Do you speak Tagalog? I am sure the classes will be in English, but they speak a different dialect, as well as Tagalog. Are there other Fil-Ams there? Cebu is a nice city, but it isn't in Manila.

I would consider the Manila schools because at least you will have an easier adjustment.

Also, some medical schools in the Philippines are not recognized in all US states. Also if you are planning for residency in California, you will need to do extra rotations to qualify there. (Sorry, i don't know the details since I never wanted to be in California). I would suggest trying to get in touch with Fil-Ams who have gone through the process of going to the Philippines for med school They will have a better understanding and help guide you.

Good luck

Loved Cebu.. I'm debating between University of Visayas Gullas or Southwestern University.
Talked to some Americans from CDU and got the feeling they didnt like it and arent really learning.. they are just figuring a way to pass the class and no time to studying for the USMLE.. CDU has a big dropout rate.. stats show half the class is there senior year compared to freshman year when they all start.
An American from CDU told me if he had to choose schools over again he would probably do UV Gullas...
What do you all think? UV or SWU???

I don't know much about the other Cebu med schools. I would check if the schools are recognized in the US. The newer medical schools might not be recognized in all the US states, so you would have to get a medical license in the PI first before applying, i think. I would definitely check the state requirements. For instance, I know that Texas doesn't recognize all the medical schools in the PI. So you should seriously consider that.

All the medical schools in the PI aren't geared to passing the USMLE. that's not a goal. you only get 2 months for summer break to study for the USMLE. I don't think it has changed or is even a priority to medical schools there. If that's a goal, then consider going to one of the Caribbean medical schools. There are medical schools that have Kaplan instructors on staff to teach students specifically how to pass.

I think the true strength of medical school in the Philippines is in the clinical training. You will learn how to treat patients and patient care. You will deliver babies, and do procedures, you won't get to do in the US as a medical student.

Loved Cebu.. I'm debating between University of Visayas Gullas or Southwestern University.
Talked to some Americans from CDU and got the feeling they didnt like it and arent really learning.. they are just figuring a way to pass the class and no time to studying for the USMLE.. CDU has a big dropout rate.. stats show half the class is there senior year compared to freshman year when they all start.
An American from CDU told me if he had to choose schools over again he would probably do UV Gullas...
What do you all think? UV or SWU???
The comments by others may be misguided. All Cebu med schools are recognized in the US (there are no new schools there). But as they say you have to choose a school that will allow you to prepare and review for USMLE independently. The other thing to check is if they will allow 2 months rotation in the US (you have to arrange the rotations yourself). Also as a non-Filipino you are not required to take Philippine boards as you are not allowed as a non-citizen to take it.