non - match OMFS programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poppin_them_8z

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where to find a list of the OMFS programs that do not participate in the MATCH system?
I wonder if there are any programs in oral surgery that are non-match positions....

Members don't see this ad.

When I applied a few years ago, there was no such program. They were ALL in the match. I doubt much has changed since then since it's in everyone's best interest to be in the match (both applicants and programs).

I have no idea of this is true or not, but I had heard that Jacksonville is a non-match program. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Members don't see this ad :)
adamlc18 said:
I have no idea of this is true or not, but I had heard that Jacksonville is a non-match program. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Jacksonville is involved in the match program. Though what I think you might be referreing to is that they did not fill all their spots and they had to post match.

From interviews this past year I found that there are programs which have multiple spots and they fill some by the match and some not through match. I know for sure that both NYU and Kings County have a 4 year non-match position (they each have 2 six year match spots). These non-match spots are not advertised anywhere, and I think they are used for the program to take in their interns (if they want to) - especially the 6 year programs where the intern has already done 1 year and would rather enter a 4 year program than do 6 more years.

Im sure there are more like that than the two programs I mentioned, but as far as I know, evey program that offeres a non-match spot does participate in the match for some of their positions, and the non-match ones are kept on the DL.

Reactions: 1 user
1-16-17-32 said:
From interviews this past year I found that there are programs which have multiple spots and they fill some by the match and some not through match. I know for sure that both NYU and Kings County have a 4 year non-match position (they each have 2 six year match spots). These non-match spots are not advertised anywhere, and I think they are used for the program to take in their interns (if they want to) - especially the 6 year programs where the intern has already done 1 year and would rather enter a 4 year program than do 6 more years.

Im sure there are more like that than the two programs I mentioned, but as far as I know, evey program that offeres a non-match spot does participate in the match for some of their positions, and the non-match ones are kept on the DL.

Not to hijack the thread, but I was curious if this is true for any of the Michigan OMS spots (Detroit Receiving, Henry Ford) which are listed as six year programs? I was curious because I saw Detroit Receiving was listing an opening for a 3rd year resident position in a four year program through Heath eCareers. :confused:

Also, if any of the OMS residents around here could share anything about the Michigan OMS programs other than U of M (Detroit Receiving, Henry Ford, St. John Detroit Riverview) I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: 1 user