Non med student - Keloid sufferer - Looking for advice from experts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Keloider

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
First I'd like to say, I'm very thankful I found this forum. I came across this when researching keloids, radiation therapy and the SRT-100 Superficial Radiation machine.
Just a short history on myself. I've had keloids since I was 10 years old, now 39. There is one that is located on the side of my neck (only one visible) and of course the only active keloid. For some that might not know, an active keloid is one that grows, itches, stings, gets infected, etc. When I was 14, I had the original scar removed and treated with 3 series of kenalog injections. Of course, this only made matters worse. Since then I've sworn off all surgery, even when multiple plastic surgeons advised that they could give me a better outcome if combined with radiation treatment. My fear has always been making it worse with surgery and then coupling it with radiation that, as I've always believed, could give me cancer. This of course was an uneducated theory as I've researched this more.
I think I've finally reached a point of considering the surgery with radiation therapy. But of course I'd love to know what my risks are from people that have zero benefit of my decision - you. I suppose I'm slightly paranoid that some people might promise me things that simply cannot be delivered. I know there are no cures for keloids and there are risks with every surgery. But I would be very grateful if you could share any knowledge that might help in my decision making process.
Some of the specific questions i have are: How many keloids have you or someone in your department or field treated? What is the typical recurrence rate? Is one radiation treatment better than another or are they all the same (I have no idea of the different types)? Is the SRT-100 machine a viable solution or a method that's been around and now just getting a new marketing plan? What are the chances of cancers developing since this scar is on the side of my neck (where lymph nodes, etc. reside)? This is why the superficial therapy is appealing to me since it only goes as deep as the skin (is this true?).
Okay, I think I've taken up enough of your time. Again, any and all advice, help and guidance is greatly appreciated. I've attached a picture for reference.
Regards,
Keloider

15May14.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.