Non-medical vs medical community service: Does it matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lisztomania287

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do what volunteer work you care about. There isn't a priority for one type over the other. Some people, however, use volunteer work to also gain clinical experience- having some clinical exposure is good, but as long as you've got some volunteering and some shadowing for exposure you're generally fine.

Reactions: 1 user
I do hear some adcom members voice the opinion that non-clinical volunteerism is important to them but, frankly, they'd count both of the activities you've described as non-clinical... the people signing up for health insurance are not "patients" (yet) and they might be in a school rather than a clinic if I've understood your example correctly. Folllow your heart.

Members don't see this ad :)
theyre pretty similar but if you haven't been exposed to much day to day medical stuff, ie. Experience with what problems patients potentially face and such, ins counseling gives you a nice insight into health disparities and such.

The esl teacher is a great EC too though. Do whichever you like more

Wow, thank you everyone for great feedback! This helped me solidify my decision to go with the one promoting health insurance literacy.