Non-science faculty LOR question.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HealthHare

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My pre-med committee letter required 4 letters, 2 from science faculty and 2 other. For the other letters I chose two research PIs since I thought they could speak best to my abilities. However, now I don't have a non-science faculty letter, which I know many schools require.

Can I simply just send the non-science letter separately? Is it bad that the non-science letter will not be a part of my committee letter?

Members don't see this ad.

Also some schools say they want a total of 3 or 4 letters max. Does the committee letter count as one letter or however many letters were used to make it?

Do they have to all be from professors? I think it's common to get letters from your employer, supervisor where you volunteer, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Find out if your committee letter will accept a 5th letter. That's probably the best way to do things.

Like 99% of schools say 2 science and a non-science faculty OR a committee letter. The schools are not going to care if you do not have a non-science LOR within your packet or if there are more letters than their max.

Like 99% of schools say 2 science and a non-science faculty OR a committee letter. The schools are not going to care if you do not have a non-science LOR within your packet or if there are more letters than their max.

Agreed. My committee did not require a non-science faculty letter, so I did not send one in. All of the schools I applied to accepted committee letters, and none of them had issues with my committee packet lacking a non-science faculty letter.