Non-science majors.

futuredoc44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Opinions? I'm thinking about international relations. I think the two could relate in multiple ways. I've heard of a few possible business majors on here. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hold up, you did not just call me a "meanie"? Haha.

You know what I've always thought? You didn't think out your username very well haha! I've seen so many "future doc" or "aspiring doc" usernames that its like, what are you guys gonna do when you actually become doctors? Are you going to change your handle from futuredoc44 to just 'doc44'? Just something I've always wondered :laugh:

i'm thinking of a whole bunch or science/nonscience majors atm. Some that I have thought of that aren't science are - humanities, world religions, and classical civilizations. idk if you would be into that, but those are some I think would be interesting to study.

Probably economics. I would major in business, but I've heard medical schools don't like business majors. Can anyone clarify?

You know what I've always thought? You didn't think out your username very well haha! I've seen so many "future doc" or "aspiring doc" usernames that its like, what are you guys gonna do when you actually become doctors? Are you going to change your handle from futuredoc44 to just 'doc44'? Just something I've always wondered :laugh:

Haha well I can probably change it to something completely different. I don't necessarily have to keep the "doc44" part. Good observation though. Haha.

i'm thinking of a whole bunch or science/nonscience majors atm. Some that I have thought of that aren't science are - humanities, world religions, and classical civilizations. idk if you would be into that, but those are some I think would be interesting to study.

It is! I love science, but to be honest history courses are actually my favorite. I'm also pretty motivated about studying abroad even if just for a short period of time. I think international relations could bring in a lot of those aspects. The ones that you mentioned are good options as well.

Probably economics. I would major in business, but I've heard medical schools don't like business majors. Can anyone clarify?

I'm not sure on the business majors. But when I went to the medicine and health care program I did this summer, we had the opportunity to talk to the head admissions advisor at the University of Maryland Med. He said that they accept over about 75% non-science majors. I mean I'm sure the statistic is different in other places but I thought it was interesting. And I don't mean 75% of those who apply, I mean 75% of their openings on average.

I'm not sure on the business majors. But when I went to the medicine and health care program I did this summer, we had the opportunity to talk to the head admissions advisor at the University of Maryland Med. He said that they accept over about 75% non-science majors. I mean I'm sure the statistic is different in other places but I thought it was interesting. And I don't mean 75% of those who apply, I mean 75% of their openings on average.

I feel like the best possible major for me would be Business Administration, so I can know how to run a practice and also get a great gpa. I'm not going to major in it though if it can't get me into medical school. However, it IS a good major for getting into dental school if that's what I choose.

Definitely pursue a non-science major if that's what interests you. I was a psych major and I had several unique experiences to talk about at med school interviews.

Anyone have any idea on CompSci majors going to med school?

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys are fine. Pick whatever interests you and make sure you have time to do your prereqs. It's your GPA that matters in admissions, not your field of study. If anything adcoms will like that you bring a unique perspective to the table.

I doubt that is true. Most people in UG hated business majors because they acted like they had it rough, but med schools may or may not care. You can't escape taking a strenuous course load if you want to get into med school because you have to take all the pre-reqs anyhow.

If you like non-science stuff then study it. It's not going to keep you out of med school.

I doubt that is true. Most people in UG hated business majors because they acted like they had it rough, but med schools may or may not care. You can't escape taking a strenuous course load if you want to get into med school because you have to take all the pre-reqs anyhow.

If you like non-science stuff then study it. It's not going to keep you out of med school.

Yeah I'd like to major in Management and possibly get a minor in Entrepreneurship if I can still get the pre-reqs in. It's way more applicable to being a doctor/dentist than a hard science in the real world. You still learn all the pre-reqs and business is not too hard so I'll get a good gpa.

I want to go to The University of Miami and I will probably declare Business Econ at the Business School. I'll try to talk to advisors and see if switching to management or something would be OK for med school.

Yeah I'd like to major in Management and possibly get a minor in Entrepreneurship if I can still get the pre-reqs in. It's way more applicable to being a doctor/dentist than a hard science in the real world. You still learn all the pre-reqs and business is not too hard so I'll get a good gpa.

I want to go to The University of Miami and I will probably declare Business Econ at the Business School. I'll try to talk to advisors and see if switching to management or something would be OK for med school.

I've heard that the business knowledge you learn in school doesn't really help with running your own practice. Just letting you know.

I've heard that the business knowledge you learn in school doesn't really help with running your own practice. Just letting you know.

Where have you heard that? A doctor who understands business will definitely be able to run his practice better than one who doesn't.

I'm also interested in MD/MBA programs.

Just major in whatever you want. I'm sure if you go to a decent business school, you WILL learn something about running a business hahaha!

A doctor who understands business will definitely be able to run his practice better than one who doesn't.

A dentist told me in-person, and I've read SDN posts (including of those who DID major/minor in business).

I did personally audit a grad management course for a little bit and found the information not useful.

Also, I remember reading about someone disliking the material learned in his/her business major and wishing he/she majored in something he/she either liked or that would prepare him/her for professional school (I forgot).

I feel like the best possible major for me would be Business Administration, so I can know how to run a practice and also get a great gpa. I'm not going to major in it though if it can't get me into medical school. However, it IS a good major for getting into dental school if that's what I choose.

Do whatever major you like. A major in business administration will not teach how to manage a practice or any business. Running a business is far away from what a major or books teach, sure there are key principles for every business but it's more than that.

Anyone have any idea on CompSci majors going to med school?

Read a few other posts about this on this site actually. I heard most Comp Sci programs are GPA killers which is something you probably want to avoid but if it's what you want to major in, I say go for it. You could also try something like Bioinformatics instead.

you should look into majoring in one of the behavioral sciences like psych or soc. the new mcat will be focused heavily on that apparently. it might help you a lot! i'm a premed currently interviewing with med schools and am a business major. i love it but for the new mcat, a behav. sci might help more!

either way, just know a Behav sci major won't give you much of a back up, and just because you want to be a doc doesn't mean you'll become one! it's something to consider. best of luck!

you should look into majoring in one of the behavioral sciences like psych or soc. the new mcat will be focused heavily on that apparently. it might help you a lot! i'm a premed currently interviewing with med schools and am a business major. i love it but for the new mcat, a behav. sci might help more!

either way, just know a Behav sci major won't give you much of a back up, and just because you want to be a doc doesn't mean you'll become one! it's something to consider. best of luck!

What business field are you in? Were you able to fit the pre-reqs in? What is your overall GPA and sGPA?