non-sloe ER rotations, worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thejangler2013

thejangler
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
non-sloe ER rotations
Hello, went thru the old slor/sloe forums, nothing really found about this. Having difficulties with scheduling with almost no options

So I am interested in EM residency, my fourth year schedule includes a home SLOE EM rotation and an away non-SLOE community ER rotation.
Will I be at a considerable disadvantage with only 1 EM sloe and 1 non-sloe EM?

I also have the option of adding a SLOE writing away rotation for October.
Is this too late to help my application? worth it to take 3em rotations?

August- Home SLOE EM rotation
Sepetember- Community non-SLOE EM rotation
October Away SLOE EM rotation (I would like to go to residency here)

Members don't see this ad.

Why do your away at a community ED with no residency program? Seems like a waste of a month for someone applying to EM. You may learn a lot, but it won't help your app that much. Yes, I think you would be at a disadvantage compared to someone with 2 SLOEs, but there are people who match with 1 so obviously not a complete deal breaker. I got a SLOE from a rotation in October, it's not completely ideal but will help your app based on my experience. Most of my interview invites came during October-November.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I didnt want to just put a vacation for the community ER month in September and apply with only 1 complete EM letter when residency apps open in october (while I am still complete my last ER rotation). Thoughts on this? Are you an EM resident?

thanks much :)

Your community month is a "waste." It's up to you if you choose to do it and as walkingcorpse said, there are always things to get from it, but programs aren't going to use a letter from that rotation.

All things being equal, you will be at a disadvantage compared to someone with the exact same stats as yourself but with two letters (versus one). Caution, speculation ahead: a great letter may be better than two meh letters, but I have no data behind that.

Regarding your October rotation - you can certainly add that to ERAS once you get it and it probably will only help you, both with interviews and rank.

If you don't want to do that community month, consider ICU or anesthesia as alternatives.

Good luck!

You should try and replace that rotation with one you are going to get a SLOE. I think there is some value in doing a community EM rotation 3rd year to polish up for auditions but most programs want 2 SLOEs and your plan will put you a a disadvantage.

Yeah I think you should definitely try to get a rotation at an academic place with a residency program. If you apply all over the place with vsas I'm sure you will get accepted somewhere for a rotation.

Your community month is a "waste." It's up to you if you choose to do it and as walkingcorpse said, there are always things to get from it, but programs aren't going to use a letter from that rotation.

All things being equal, you will be at a disadvantage compared to someone with the exact same stats as yourself but with two letters (versus one). Caution, speculation ahead: a great letter may be better than two meh letters, but I have no data behind that.

Regarding your October rotation - you can certainly add that to ERAS once you get it and it probably will only help you, both with interviews and rank.

If you don't want to do that community month, consider ICU or anesthesia as alternatives.

Good luck!

thanks much for the input, Just stinks with M4 scheduling, my school is NOT accommodating whatsoever. Feeling kinda screwed now. :(

On a separate note who can or cannot actually write a SLOE/SLOR, yes I know residency programs can write them, but who else can? What is preventing my Community Hospital rotation people from writing me one?

Your community hospital rotation physicians cannot write one because part of the criteria for writing a SLOE is being on the faculty of an EM residency program.

yeah, thats what I am seeing now..."Only Emergency Medicine Faculty may complete this form" I am wondering that since this community hospital rotation is part of my school's official course catalog that this DOC I am rotating with is considered a faculty (he takes students all year every year), but I doubt it.

http://www.cordem.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3743

yeah, thats what I am seeing now..."Only Emergency Medicine Faculty may complete this form" I am wondering that since this community hospital rotation is part of my school's official course catalog that this DOC I am rotating with is considered a faculty (he takes students all year every year), but I doubt it.

http://www.cordem.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3743

Sorry, he is not unless there is a secret emergency residency program there that you aren't aware of. When CORD says "faculty" they mean graduate medical training in EM - not med students.

Everyone has got some sort of uphill battle. You've just got to make the most of it within the limitations of your school. That second SLOE is somewhat "late," but most programs are really good about getting it out quickly. If you let them know your situation, I'm fairly sure they'll try to get it out ASAP. If this whole SLOE thing is the only fly in your ointment, you're doing pretty good.

Members don't see this ad :)
As others said the community EM spot is not going to help your application. Most programs are looking for 2 SLOE prior to ROL time, they may interview with 1 but will usually want a 2nd. That being said the other doc can't fill out the SLOE because there are objective questions such as "How would you rank this candidate" which a non residency shop can't answer.

Sort of similar? Sorry if it's not.

I'm just about to start 3rd year with the intention of going EM. My program gives us an elective month, and I have secured EM (we have a residency) for the month. My concern is because it will be my second rotation (after family med). This is because I'm going on a mission that had be taken with the elective as it is linked to our 3rd year vacation week. For as much confidence I have in myself, I know I'll be limited compared to my colleagues who do the rotation at the end of the year. How should I approach SLOE/LOR from this rotation? See how it goes and if it seems like I'm holding my own ask for one?

I'll note that in 4th year we can do a sub-I at another affiliated well-regarded residency and I'm hoping for ~1-2 aways in the summer/fall. So just unsure how to handle the first rotation. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Some schools require "3 LORs" according to ERAS.

Would two SLOEs and one community LOR (not a sloe, just LOR) work?

Well I'm not getting three SLOEs by oct 1, that ain't happening. I'll have two for sure, not three. Hopefully getting the last one early november doesn't penalize me too much...

Sort of similar? Sorry if it's not.

I'm just about to start 3rd year with the intention of going EM. My program gives us an elective month, and I have secured EM (we have a residency) for the month. My concern is because it will be my second rotation (after family med). This is because I'm going on a mission that had be taken with the elective as it is linked to our 3rd year vacation week. For as much confidence I have in myself, I know I'll be limited compared to my colleagues who do the rotation at the end of the year. How should I approach SLOE/LOR from this rotation? See how it goes and if it seems like I'm holding my own ask for one?

I'll note that in 4th year we can do a sub-I at another affiliated well-regarded residency and I'm hoping for ~1-2 aways in the summer/fall. So just unsure how to handle the first rotation. Thanks for any help.

^I would like to hear an answer to this as well. Similar situation for me

Some schools require "3 LORs" according to ERAS.

Would two SLOEs and one community LOR (not a sloe, just LOR) work?

I haven't heard of a program requiring 3 SLOE's. I would be surprised if they do require all SLOE's as some only require 1. I do know pretty much every program requires 3 letters and for most people that's 2 SLOE and either IM, Sx, or an EM subspecialty such as tox, EMS, U/S, Crit Care.

Oh, okay. Yeah it did just say "three letters" but it's not clear what those letters consist of. I'll still aim for three, but that's comforting to know, thanks.

Would pulm be an okay letter to get? I can easily get a pulm letter.

Oh, okay. Yeah it did just say "three letters" but it's not clear what those letters consist of. I'll still aim for three, but that's comforting to know, thanks.

Would pulm be an okay letter to get? I can easily get a pulm letter.

I agree that three SLOEs is a bit much. Why don't you just call them and ask? Most program coordinators are really helpful and can get you the info (or someone with the answer) pretty quickly.

I agree that three SLOEs is a bit much. Why don't you just call them and ask? Most program coordinators are really helpful and can get you the info (or someone with the answer) pretty quickly.

Additionally if you call and ask you don't even have to give your name for such a simple question. That means no worries about them thinking you're an idiot in the future (personally I don't think it's a stupid question but in case you're worried).