Non-SMP, Research-focused Gap Year Programs - NonTrads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EuanF

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey fellow Non Trads,

(I hope it's alright if I post this question here too)

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for one-year masters programs (or other gap year type programs, aside from NIH, etc.) that provided interesting courses and preferably some structured research experience in the biomedical sciences? To clarify, this is not for specific post-bac/SMP programs or to make up for GPA, etc. but rather to gain some more meaningful research and academic experience.

For more info, I'm a nontrad who's a few years out from undergrad, did well on my MCAT, and am looking for such a program to complete in the year applying to medical school. I found a few suggestions here and there, but most seemed to be SMP-focused. I hope this isn't redundant! Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you tried talking to schools that have strong NIH funding to see whether they would be willing to accept you to work in their labs for the duration? I know if you volunteer to work there, they can sometimes free up a funded lab position once you've proven your capability. I'm not aware of any biomed research type positions that offer schooling as well. Maybe someone else might have more input. Best of luck though.

To be honest, it really sounds like you are looking for a post-undergrad research position/lab technician position. There are plenty of these around depending on where you live.

Hey fellow Non Trads,

(I hope it's alright if I post this question here too)

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for one-year masters programs (or other gap year type programs, aside from NIH, etc.) that provided interesting courses and preferably some structured research experience in the biomedical sciences? To clarify, this is not for specific post-bac/SMP programs or to make up for GPA, etc. but rather to gain some more meaningful research and academic experience.

For more info, I'm a nontrad who's a few years out from undergrad, did well on my MCAT, and am looking for such a program to complete in the year applying to medical school. I found a few suggestions here and there, but most seemed to be SMP-focused. I hope this isn't redundant! Thanks so much.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the thoughtful replies! I would definitely love a post-undergrad research position (am volunteering part time in a research lab before work), but in applying for actual jobs of that nature I am finding that the majority I've looked at require either a masters degree/PhD, or to an even greater extent connections. I graduated with my BS in molecular biology and would like to return to the field in the form of immunology/immunotherapy, and so my reasoning for finding a program is that I'd hope such a research opportunity and faculty support would be part of the program, with a professor motivated to help me see a project through, but ideally a full time research position would be amazing (no further debt = good!). I can definitely try to look more at NIH funded projects and will keep looking for a technician job related to my area of interest.

For those that succeeded in finding lab technician positions, were you successful in finding one-year positions while applying in the Late Spring/Summer?

If anyone else has positive experiences with any post-undergrad, non-SMP one-year masters programs or research opportunities, please feel free to chime in with your own recommendations!